• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Made Percussion Caps Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you may remember I spoke about the percussion cap makers by Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader Store

I will recap my previous post on my experience with the #11 percussion cap die and end the post with my experience with the #10.

“The die performed great. The percussion caps are ugly. If you are a perfectionist and everything has to look pretty then this is probably not for you.

I made 20 #11 caps. The following day I mixed one batch of primer mixture and just had enough for the 20 caps. I used 3 drops of acetone to set it and gave it over 24 hours to cure. Probably more like 30 hours but 24 was required.

Today I tried them out with live loads in my Traditions .50 Trapper. My observations were as follows. They fired great. They did dirty up the outside of the gun, more so than the commercial caps. The area around the nipple was the dirtiest and had a rust appearance. I had one cap go off but did not have enough power to ignite the Pyrodex. I replaced the cap and had ignition. I noticed a couple caps lost the powder adhesion in the cap.

So in conclusion I am very happy with the cap makers and primer mixture. The couple deficiencies that were there I would say they were from human error. Am I going to stop buying the commercial caps? No, I will use them for hunting where human error sucks. I am primarily going to use the homemade caps for shooting in the back yard.

Keep in mind the #10 and #11 cap makers is $50.00 each and the priming mixture is $20.00 and you are supposed to get 2000 caps out of it.”

Now here is my experience with the #10 percussion cap maker. I made up about 20 caps to use with my Pietta 1858 revolver. The caps loaded onto the nipples just fine and stayed put. While firing the caps they would expand outwards kind of making themselves flat which would make you tilt the gun back so they could fall out or hand removing them so that the revolver would not jam. I had to use a tooth pick on a couple caps. I had several hangfires but I am wondering if they were human error. I may have went light on the primer chemicals on some of the caps.

My opinion on the #10 is that it did what it was supposed to minus the human error. I would not use the #10 or #11 percussion cap maker for any revolver type guns as they will jam. Pistols like my Trapper or other mini muzzle loaders will be fine. Regular muzzle loaders will be fine.

Like I said previously, “The percussion caps are ugly. If you are a perfectionist and everything has to look pretty then this is probably not for you.” You have to have patience when making them. Those of us that cast lead balls know it is a relaxation session. You cannot rush it. Hell, the whole black powder sport is a relaxation session.

Where this shines is it is inexpensive to make your own percussion caps. If you know you want to shoot a certain amount this coming weekend you can spend an evening cutting the caps and the next night putting the priming compound in the caps. Then you can go play. You have to preplan for it.

Like I said before, I would use factory caps for hunting. I do not want an error when a deer is in the crosshair. Any questions or comments?
Hey on those caps if you mix 1 ounce of duco cement glue with 10 ounces of acetone use that to drop onto the mix in the caps let it dry and the powder will not come out of the caps you can't hardly get it to come out and it also makes them a little hotter as the duco cement is a nitrocellulose glue highly flammable

My results pretty much mirror the opening post. The caps I made worked splendidly, but the mixture fell out of a couple on my way to my shooting spot. Probably need to add more acetone or try something else to keep it in place. Thanks
Mix 1 ounce of duco cement glue with 10 ounces of acetone drip it on your mixture it will not crack are come out even after rattling around in a container in you possibles bag and the duco cement is a nitrocellulose glue so it's very flammable make the caps a little hotter they work Great you will be happy with them.

Sorry, but you are making this WAY harder than needed. You dont need powders or a mixing kit to make caps.

Make the cap with the die (Takes about 5 seconds).

Use toy cap gun ribbons instead of a powder mix cap kit, about 12 bucks for a 1000 cap roll. You use one per cap. I have had a ONE HUNDRED% success rate in my Pietta .44. Not one failure with about 50 rds fired

I agree, the caps don't look perfect, but they work, period, and very cheap and easy to make:

If you dont believe me, take a cruise on YOU TUBE on the subject
They don't work as good as the 22reloader kit

I have one of the Sharpshooter 22LR percussion cap makers. In researching, pros & cons, and procedure, I found countless recommendations of using a drop of Duco Cement, as an extra binder, along with the acetone.
Yes the duco cement works great 1 ounce with 10 ounces of acetone

Just got the die and primeall kit in the mail. Confused as how to use the Duco Cement. Do you make the cap as directed, dry it out then add a drop of Duco Cement or is the Duco Cement mixed with the Acetone somehow?
Mix 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone drip it in your caps

no need for duco , just an extraneous step, it comes with a binder material, you activate the binder with acetone, ether,, vodka, etc etc

you might try a paper hole punch tool from office depot, then place the little circle paper over the cap to help seal it in, but DUCO would be easier at that punching paper covers
Yes it comes with a binder but don't work use 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone will have no problem with powder coming out

I didn't have much luck with the Duco, the compound tended to fall out, regardless. I probably just need to store the caps more carefully, with some cushioning of some kind.
How did you use the duco if you mix 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone the mix won't fall out

Center Shot This is the accepted way to use the Duco Cement. You get your powder in the cup.Press it down with something. Mix the Acetone and Duco,three drops in a tablespoon . Stir for awhile as it is hard to be sure it's mixed. Put a drop into each cup and let dry.Done. You can make this a little stronger if you want,or simply do more than once. I have done a great many this way.It hasn't crumbled or fallen out. I just put them in a pill bottle and if they rattle around ,no harm. Other binders work too but this is easy.
I mix mine 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone in a Mason jar put the lid on when done last for a long time not sure how long but my mix is about a year old and still works great

Center Shot This is the accepted way to use the Duco Cement. You get your powder in the cup.Press it down with something. Mix the Acetone and Duco,three drops in a tablespoon . Stir for awhile as it is hard to be sure it's mixed. Put a drop into each cup and let dry.Done. You can make this a little stronger if you want,or simply do more than once. I have done a great many this way.It hasn't crumbled or fallen out. I just put them in a pill bottle and if they rattle around ,no harm. Other binders work too but this is easy.
I mix mine 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone in a Mason jar put the lid on when done last for a long time not sure how long but my mix is about a year old and still works great
Would diluting the Duco with Acetone make a difference? I make flying model airplanes, and Duco is often diluted up to 50%. Soaks into the balsa wood better. That might cut out a step in the process, as the acetone would already be in there.
I mix mine 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone works great

The Duco Cement is too thick to work with.You would use up a tube in 50 caps. With it thinned out( I use three drops in a tablespoon of acetone) I can bind a hundred . Still have the rest of the tube for many hundreds more. As with any binder if its too strong it will slow or stop the action of the prime.
Just mix 1 ounce of duco cement with 10 ounces of acetone keep it in a Mason jar with lid on last for very long time

I wouldn’t say impossible. I received an order from Graff for the 4th of July sale waiving the hazmat fee. I also found them at Basspro near me last week. Some Walmarts have them for $6 a tin. You just got to search.
Well graf isn't waiving the hazmat fee anymore and the prices there definitely have risen. None of the Walmarts around here have them or anywhere else that CCI listed as suppliers. Even the Log Cabin shop which is a large black powder shop in this area is worried. They have a limit on how many they are selling and are looking to grab them up from anywhere they can find them. I have been searching a lot.

Well graf isn't waiving the hazmat fee anymore and the prices there definitely have risen. None of the Walmarts around here have them or anywhere else that CCI listed as suppliers. Even the Log Cabin shop which is a large black powder shop in this area is worried. They have a limit on how many they are selling and are looking to grab them up from anywhere they can find them. I have been searching a lot.
Graf and other online places have the no hazmat and free shipping promos now and then, one has to keep checking to catch them in time. I also have the cap maker and Primeall set as backups but I have been able to slowly find caps both locally and online. It has been reported that CCI will start making caps for the new hunting season starting in late summer.

Sorry, but you are making this WAY harder than needed. You dont need powders or a mixing kit to make caps.

Use toy cap gun ribbons instead of a powder mix cap kit, about 12 bucks for a 1000 cap roll. You use one per cap. I have had a ONE HUNDRED% success rate in my Pietta .44. Not one failure with about 50 rds fired

I agree, the caps don't look perfect, but they work, period, and very cheap and easy to make:

Where did you source the caps from?

I " rolling my own " as well . You folks might be surprised at just how easy it is . The best thing about it is that making your own adds another layer to our pastime.

Great article.
I agree completely.
I would cut up soda cans and cut them into strips. And away I went. Lol
The powder mix was great and worked fine. Minus the human error.
Where I had issues was finding something small to put the power in.
My hands aren't as steady as they use to be.
Yes a few misfires. Some I think had a little to much.
But all in all, for wasting lead and shooting , when the commercial ones are hard to find.

It's well worth the money.just be patient.
Mark
Keep in mind for a few bucks you can purchase sheet copper mcmaster car has some I found a small rool same thickness as the soda can. I have not used it yet next time I make some I will. Also try scuffing the primer side with corse sand paper you might get a better hold of the primer. I think some guys came up with an additive that helps it stick. Certainly try very corse sand paper. I suspect if you use copper they may be more desirable to look at and a little softer

Latest posts

Back