• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap Maker questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ready to order the #10 cap maker today and thought I had better make sure these homemade caps will work on revolvers? Also, I order the maker, the primer compound and drain a beer I am good to go on cap making or do I need acetone etc as well? Thanks folks....

Hey brother id recommend the #11.

The 11 will fit stock nipples perfectly but are too small for slix or treso.

The 10 is smaller then the 11. I wouldnt bother with it as the 11 already run too small for anything other then stick nipples.

Yeah buy the tool and the prime all.

Ok guys I have ordered the # 11 and its being shipped today! So a few more questions....

1. I believe I read about folks that electe to use thin strips of copper or bronze metal foils sheets and they worked better and thre better caps. What size is best .04 .05 ??

2. Should I just get the cement and nalpolish remover to start with?

Thanks and have a safe day!

I use the acetone and glue mix. Haven’t had a failure yet. I just use pop cans double layer so I can’t comment on the copper sheet. I’ve got my die chucked up in my drill press. Works alot better than tapping with a hammer. Caps are uniform and it’s alot quicker.

I use the acetone and glue mix. Haven’t had a failure yet. I just use pop cans double layer so I can’t comment on the copper sheet. I’ve got my die chucked up in my drill press. Works alot better than tapping with a hammer. Caps are uniform and it’s alot quicker.
When using your binder you just skip the binder step in the cap maker instructions or do both?

Thanks!

Yeah I don’t use the binder stuff that come with the chemical
OK, do you think thats too thick, I can get .04 and .03 as well?

When using your binder you just skip the binder step in the cap maker instructions or do both?

Thanks!
Hey brother no the .05 seems perfect

My opinion and mine only

I would NOT use the Sharpshooter 22lr capmaker on revolvers unless absolutely necessary! The 'crimps' of the formed cap cups do not seal 100%. You can have a chainfire easily because of this. I own a #10 and a #11 cap maker. I will NEVER buy another commercial cap again. That said, the cap maker does not make ideal caps for revolvers. However, small pistol primers/small rifle primers and the addition of a vinyl tube solves these issues. Grind down the nipples for Colts. It works 100% of the time. Here is a useful link-

If all you have if 22lr Reloader caps and a revolver, you will go bang, but the probability of a chainfire is high. I have at my disposal an unshootable number of primers. I elect to use my homemade caps on rifles or doubles, and use the primers/vinyl tubing on revolvers.

Latest posts

Back