• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hide ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am tanning a wild hog hide with hair on. Color is brown w/black spots. I would appreciate any ideas for making bags, pouches, etc. or any other accessories from the hide.

In aw can't remember the name...its a sketchbook that has all kinds of southern appalachian pouches and horns. Lot of huntin pouches made from pigskin.
I do know a fellow who bought a few hides of pig from Tandy and had his grandmother machine sew him some genuine Davy Crockett buckskins! We were on a trailwalk and he bent over to take a shot and the A$$ ripped out! :rotf: So I would advise against making clothing! :grin:

"I would advise against making clothing"
Sounds like a sewing, and not a materials problem. Leather sews a lot different than fabric and stresses thread a lot more. Besides, it didn't bust when the hog was wearing it.

Pig is thin alright, but I regularly use the Tandy stuff as liner inside bags I make. So far they've been camera bags, but it works so well and looks so cool I may try some soon in a possibles bag. Stiffens a soft leather up just right, so if you're working with deer, elk or Tandy's Deertand cowhide, I bet the bag comes out just right.

That makes me think you could use that hair-on hide for an outside "liner." Just do like I do- glue it to the leather pieces before assembling the bag. I've used Barge rubber cement for years, but the toluene in it will sure lift your spirits if you use it indoors.

Lately I've switched to Tandy's EcoFlo water soluble contact cement. It's latex based, and smells just like latex housepaint. But man, is it ever good stuff. Hard to imagine, but it appears to work even better than Barge.

A raw hog hide is cut in strips and fried in lard until crisp. I think even Bill Clinton likes to eat them.

Back