• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on getting started crafting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering trying my hand at making muzzleloading accessories but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any of you makers out there have any advice for me? I'd like to start with pouches, horns, powder measures etc and work my way up to the gunsmithing. I have a sewing machine and a dremel tool I assume those are both going to come in handy.

I've been seriously considering trying my hand at making muzzleloading accessories but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any of you makers out there have any advice for me? I'd like to start with pouches, horns, powder measures etc and work my way up to the gunsmithing. I have a sewing machine and a dremel tool I assume those are both going to come in handy.
Powder measures, vent picks, powder horns, short starters, shooting bags......

Buy some leather, make an awl, acquire some antler, the hardest part is to just get started, once you start just keep going.

It is easy! You have already answered your question with pouches horns, powder measures etc. Forget the sewing machine. All my leather work was hand stitched. A regular sewing maching I doubt will get the job done anyway. Don't think about it, go after what you want to make.
Larry

For leather work get yourself a sewing awl such as a C.A. Myers "Awl for all" https://awlforall.com/ . That is a brand name, there are others that are similar. I use mine constantly! I would recommend "Recreating the 18th Century Powder horn" by Scott Sibley. It will give you step by step instructions on making horns. Powder measures are pretty simple, just drill a hole. Compare volume to a known measure.

Yes, it's easy. If you're like me you may do crude but very functional work to start with. I never improved beyond that level but it all has worked as intended.
No problem with learning curves! I am sure that the fancy stuff that is in use today was hardly ever seen on the frontier. Functionality is the by-word; it doesn't matter what it looks like so long as it does the job! After learning by making the basics, get into the fancy work as the spirit moves you (or not).

Just start making stuff. Know your first attempt will never look as sharp as the 10th and the 10th will look like manure compared to your 100th.

My other half has the crafting bug and they say to just do it. Doesn't have to look good.

The guy who sells masterpieces started out making projects that looked like amateur hour. But you don't get to master level with out paying the dues of constant work.

Find a store bought measure to use as a standard. Use some play sand instead of powder for comparison measurements.

Cut about 4 inches off the end of a wooden broom handle. Then drill a 3/8 hole approximately 2-3 inches into one end and you have a powder measure. Paint it or stain it or carve it however you like.

Buy a m/l pouch kit from Crazy Crow on line catalog. Get some stitching needles , and sewing cord , and a little block of bee's wax to lube the needle. A leather punch will also help. The one that looks like a plyers , with a star on top. Another place to buy leather is Leather Unlimited , Belgium , Wis.. Another place to get less expensive m/l shot pouches is , Mountain Top Trading Post website. Leather Unlimited has alcohol based leather dyes. Dye leather and wood w/these dyes.

Figure out what you are good at making and have a passion for making. Then make it and don’t worry about what others think. Some here will severely criticize something made with machine stitching or the use of a Dremel type tool, but line up to purchase a muzzleloader made with CNC machinery.

Think about how to do your project , and make it. When I build a m/l rifle from scratch , I use four dremel type tools , each one has a different bit in it. I don't pi$$ around using only wood chisels. I'de fall asleep from boredom. I install butt plates w/ band saw , dremel type tool , and 26,000 RPM die grinder. I can install most butt plates in less than hour. Git er done.

You need to just get started. Buy the leather (veg tan). Make yourself some patterns. Start sewing.

Oooo. I forgot. You need to do a mountain of research if you want to be good. Anyone can sew leather together and call it a bag.

It’s another thing to study, research. Know the stitching but how the stitching was done.
The same with clothing. Hand stitching of course is preferred. Will people pay the price? If the quality is good and you are known for quality it can sell.

But at some point you have to get started. Experience is the best teacher. Making bags can become an obsession.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can get kits for some projects. If you are just getting started and working solo, this can be helpful in a couple of ways; first you have everything there ready for you. Look the stuff over and get an understanding of the various parts and how they work together.
Secondly a good kit can help you understand the building procedure- what fits where, when and how.
Thirdly you usually have at least a picture of what it is ‘supposed’ to look like. I find it helpful and remember way back when, when I got model airplanes or what, in helping me see if it’s coming along in the right direction.
Good luck and enjoy yourself. That’s the main thing.

Some great suggestions above. You can also attend muzzleloading events in your area to see what shooters are using or possibly selling to get an idea of what you want your finished product to look like. I still have the first horn I made decades ago. It looks very stone aged compared to the ones I make now. It is also a good idea to lay out your design ideas on paper before you start cutting. I generally do a complete drawing of a scrimshaw design for a horn before laying it out on the horn in preparation for engraving. If you don't know where you are going, you may end up somewhere else.

Back