• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will this leather work for a cows knee?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. If I get to scanning it at some point, I'll attach a file here where it could be printed to size
Thanks. When/if I get motivated I can work with what's here.
I like this design better than the pattern I posted above. Although the above is easy to repeat and does work very well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks. When/if I get motivated I can work with what's here.
I like this design better than the pattern I posted above. Although the above is easy to repeat and does work very well.

Thanks again for sharing.
You're welcome. Thanks for sharing yours and the advice.

I somehow didn't even see the pattern and pictures of yours you posted until just now when I went looking for it. I somehow missed it. Those look very nice! I'll probably give that pattern a shot on the next one.

You're welcome. Thanks for sharing yours and the advice.

I somehow didn't even see the pattern and pictures of yours you posted until just now when I went looking for it. I somehow missed it. Those look very nice! I'll probably give that pattern a shot on the next one.
The pattern I put up has been floating around for a long time. Not even sure where I got it but it's all over.
It works great and being just a rectangle and triangles, is very easy. But, I would definitely advise to make it bigger.

That was a very nice piece of vegge tan leather but it sure did not look like 2-3 oz stuff. More like 4 + oz from the angle of the picture. That plastic diaper thing would have been good (smart wife) :thumb: :cool: but might have made some noise trying to remove it to get a shot off. All in all, you now have a fine cow's knee.

That leather doesn't need to be "softer", it needs to be shaped.

~ wrap your lock area with several tightly wrapped layers of saran wrap to seal and protect it from any moisture. Wrap down the wrist and out the barrel a fair bit more than you think you need.

~ soak an appropriate sized piece of your leather in water until it becomes flexible and floppy. Use a piece a little larger than the final product will be.

~ conform the leather to the lock and shape it with your fingers, pressing on it so that it shapes the way you want it to, and covers what you need covered.

~ allow to fully dry while left on the rifle, checking periodically to make sure the shape is staying shaped. Then when fully dry make your cows knee, trimming edges and sewing seams.

This is exactly how I make shaped knife sheaths and axe covers and the such out of exactly the same leather, and sometimes even thicker.

To cover the lock that’s true, but as someone else mentioned, one made out of softer leather stows away much easier.
If that's a deal breaker then why bother with one. They don't have to be the size of a football to their job.

If that's a deal breaker then why bother with one. They don't have to be the size of a football to their job.
Well, I’ve found ones made out of soft leather are worth the bother because they also work for me. Personally, have used both those made out of softer and harder leather, and my preference is to leave those made of the harder leather at the house. Doesn’t mean those made of harder leather don’t work or aren’t preferred by some. Imagine that’s why you will find many cow’s knees made out of various types and hardnesses of leather. Though difficult to make any HC/PC argument, rumor has it some have had success using old diaper bag material. Imagine that.

why dont you just call tandy for a piece,,or kentucky hide and leather,you want deer hide its light conforms great when mink oiled and works ,elk would as well i have made a few of thease and seems a freind always asks can i have/buy/borrow this and its goodbye to another!

Well, I’ve found ones made out of soft leather are worth the bother because they also work for me. Personally, have used both those made out of softer and harder leather, and my preference is to leave those made of the harder leather at the house. Doesn’t mean those made of harder leather don’t work or aren’t preferred by some. Imagine that’s why you will find many cow’s knees made out of various types and hardnesses of leather. Though difficult to make any HC/PC argument, rumor has it some have had success using old diaper bag material. Imagine that.

The point was "stowing away". And the point was also they don't need to be huge. Normal logic would suggest stowing away something small isn't very hard to accomplish.

Latest posts

Back