• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Someone who tans hides

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead124

32 Cal
Reaction score
I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong part of the forum, but I was wondering if someone here knows of anyone that you can take your deer hides to in PA, to have them tan into leather like buckskin? Any help would be appreciated!

I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong part of the forum, but I was wondering if someone here knows of anyone that you can take your deer hides to in PA, to have them tan into leather like buckskin? Any help would be appreciated!
Ask any taxidermists. They usually have several tanning places they send their hides to. It's likely you will have to ship your hide to the tannery, so you might ask if the taxidermist will add your hide to his shipment.

There's really nothing to it but elbow grease and a sharp hide scraper. I tie mine up on 2X4s for a frame if I'm using my hide scraper (a piece of elk antler for a handle, and some cut up circle saw blades), or a draw knife if I'm doing it on a log. I find the log method is easier for fleshing, and I like the scraper to remove all the hair, but usually it's one or the other. I also find that starting immediately when the hide is still warm makes it alot easier than a frozen and thawed one.

There may be enough brains in a deer to tan the hide if you're a professional, but it's a lot easier and will go more smoothly if you augment what's in the animal with a pint of pig's brains, which most butcher shops can provide for a couple of bucks.

There is no reason to have anyone tan your buck skins if you have an afternoon to do it yourself, and by my thinking you will appreciate your trowsers and war shirt more if you make it yourself.

Tan your own hides, make your own hats, sew your own capote, build your own rifle, make your own tomahawk, make your own knife, sew your own shooting bag, forge your own flint striker, knap your own flints, make your own powder horn, sew your own breeches, make your own shirt...........

And if you are a young guy just starting out, work that job so you can feed the family and pay the mortgage and all the other obligations that you have.

I imagine all of us pay others to make some of our stuff and there is no reason to feel ashamed of it, we all have priorities.

I recall some tanners use chrome tan which is not the same as brain tanned leather, not by a long shot.

You can tan the hide with just Eggs, a substitute for brain tanning (use the yolks, not whites).
But first you need to remove the hair (assuming it's a fresh skin).

Plenty of detailed videos on YouTube that will walk you through it.
Once tanned you will need to Smoke it (also plenty of tutorials) or it will turn to rawhide if it gets wet....this only applies to brain/egg tanned hides, commercial tan you don't need to smoke it but it also will not stan up to getting wet.

Mostly depends on WHAT you want to DO with the hide once tanned?
(Don't even need to remove the hair depending on your final needs/use).

Another option is Bark Tanning, also some good tutorials on YouTube, but takes a Lot Longer, no need to smoke it, tans darker and Stronger.

Last edited:
1699283874029.png

https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappershidetanformula.aspx

Latest posts

Back