• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on getting started crafting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make something you're going to use. You'll soon learn what you did wrong or right. you'll find out that you're the worst critic and the most forgiving costumer you will ever have. And when you make it for you make it where it works for YOU and don't worry about someone else's opinion. enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to think outside the box.

You need to just get started. Buy the leather (veg tan). Make yourself some patterns. Start sewing.

Oooo. I forgot. You need to do a mountain of research if you want to be good. Anyone can sew leather together and call it a bag.

It’s another thing to study, research. Know the stitching but how the stitching was done.
The same with clothing. Hand stitching of course is preferred. Will people pay the price? If the quality is good and you are known for quality it can sell.

But at some point you have to get started. Experience is the best teacher. Making bags can become an obsession.
That's the bloody truth

Agree with the good advice already posted. Knowledge generally comes before skill. Sewing leather, for example, looks easy and the concept is simple. Creating an item that you will be proud of is a worthy goal. Practice will teach you more than anything else, but knowing how to do it is the first step. Sewing leather properly ? Get a box of bandaids and enjoy learning.

For example, start with a flint wallet, knife sheath, or similar before you attempt a fringed buckskin shirt. "Pintrest" is a new-fangled internet thing where I find some good ideas for all sorts of projects. Just Do It. Have FUN!

Don't expect to make a bunch of money doing this. I expect, in most cases, the person at the window of the fast food place makes more money per hour than any crafter on this site.
I would think I make more than minimum wage if you don't count the time on the retail end of things. Sitting at a show for days to sell a few things really puts a hurting on your hours invested. The internet does the same thing just answering Emails instead of person to person. Most people that think they are going to make alot of money don't last long

Acohill 1: Jeff 'Poor-Boy' Luke is having a pouch making class at the NMLRA education building there at Friendship May 18th. That is also in Indiana where you are. This would be a great class for you to attend as Jeff is one of the finest bag makers and leather craftsman in the country and here is a great chance for you to learn from a master. He is supplying all the bag makins' and tools. This would be a great spring board for you to really learn and be able to get great advise. I'm definitely going and already have my spot reserved and paid for.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I've been seriously considering trying my hand at making muzzleloading accessories but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any of you makers out there have any advice for me? I'd like to start with pouches, horns, powder measures etc and work my way up to the gunsmithing. I have a sewing machine and a dremel tool I assume those are both going to come in handy.
For the most part, the sewing machine and the Dremel tool won't help much as many of the muzzleloading accessories are hand sewn. One can spend some time looking at YouTube videos to learn or you can get the book "Hand Sewing Leather" from Tandy Leather. It's the book I used when making my accessories. They are still holding together after all these years of use and abuse.

The NMLRA has classes for all manner of leather working and checking those out is well worth the effort. I know that several members of my gun club have taken the classes and their work is quite fine.

I wish you well in your endeavors.

For the most part, the sewing machine and the Dremel tool won't help much as many of the muzzleloading accessories are hand sewn.
No, hand sewn is important to most reenactor's who are thread counters, amd AMA members. if that's what your into great, machine sewn cloth is just fine for most gatherings!

No, hand sewn is important to most reenactor's who are thread counters, amd AMA members. if that's what your into great, machine sewn cloth is just fine for most gatherings!
I find the whole hand sewn idea laughable. Unless your are using hand spun and woven fabric and sewing with a hand forged needle what is the point. The same group don't have any trouble with machine made gun parts. It all just needs to present an accurate portrayal. Ɓ

Back