• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HI GUYS..IM HAVING A HECK OF A TIME GETTING USED TO THIS SITE...LOVE TO POST A FEW PHOTOS OF MY ORIGINAL S. HAWKEN FULL STOCK...CANT FIGURE HOW TO ..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That knife looks like a Carrigan coffin handle Bowie. I would like to know the story behind it.
i bought it from an farm sale in bakersfield ca. ...it was advertized as a machetie...it had 1/8th inch rust on it...took two days carefull cleaning...un marked but made by someone who knew wnat they were doing ...thanks for the get back...fred

I had not checked in on this thread for the last several days, and missed the Hawken pictures until this morning. The rifle is outstanding, to say the least! What an incredible find! Thank you, @fred fellows , for showing both of the original rifles pictured in this thread.

Fred, the accoutrements interest me, also. The first Hawken photo in post #16 appears to show part of a shot pouch, powder horn, and maybe the tip of a knife sheath above and to the left of the rifle. I sure would appreciate a dedicated photo or two of those items. They look to be real old-timers.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob

I had not checked in on this thread for the last several days, and missed the Hawken pictures until this morning. The rifle is outstanding, to say the least! What an incredible find! Thank you, @fred fellows , for showing both of the original rifles pictured in this thread.

Fred, the accoutrements interest me, also. The first Hawken photo in post #16 appears to show part of a shot pouch, powder horn, and maybe the tip of a knife sheath above and to the left of the rifle. I sure would appreciate a dedicated photo or two of those items. They look to be real old-timers.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
bob...one on right i got from bob scriver at browning montana blackfoot reservation....hung in traders store forever...not indian..knife is tamped w.a.russell bag in middle from sothern canada...had 50 cal mold extra small horn and chunk of lead....horn onleft i got at kalispell gun show in 1970...no history but old....more later ...fred

Attachments

• IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6431.JPG
    IMG_6431.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
bob...one on right i got from bob scriver at browning montana blackfoot reservation....hung in traders store forever...not indian..knife is tamped w.a.russell bag in middle from sothern canada...had 50 cal mold extra small horn and chunk of lead....horn onleft i got at kalispell gun show in 1970...no history but old....more later ...fred
Thank you for the additional photos showing the pouches and the rifle's cheek piece, Fred.

I think my favorite is the pouch on the right... The paler colored one with the raw edge on the flap. I've seen that type of leather described as "half-tanned hide." These were skins that would not be broken down as soft as the buckskins used for clothing. Comments in some of the period literature have led me to believe that the buffalo cow hides used for lodge covers would fall into this category, for example, but I suppose any skin that was not completely softened might qualify. In buffalo days, old tipi tops were recycled for various projects, and I suspect pouches like this one might have been a good use for that type of leather. In any event, pouches of that type, made "in the country" of available materials, are the ones that appeal to me the most. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

Thank you for the additional photos showing the pouches and the rifle's cheek piece, Fred.

I think my favorite is the pouch on the right... The paler colored one with the raw edge on the flap. I've seen that type of leather described as "half-tanned hide." These were skins that would not be broken down as soft as the buckskins used for clothing. Comments in some of the period literature have led me to believe that the buffalo cow hides used for lodge covers would fall into this category, for example, but I suppose any skin that was not completely softened might qualify. In buffalo days, old tipi tops were recycled for various projects, and I suspect pouches like this one might have been a good use for that type of leather. In any event, pouches of that type, made "in the country" of available materials, are the ones that appeal to me the most. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob
bob...youve got a good eye...thats my favorite too...knife has in house HBC stamp on it...inside is bag of 54 cal balls and aiso fire steel in its own buckskin bag wrapped with tow...bag appears to be indian tanned elk...knife sheath looks to indian tanned buffalo bull....scriver store since 1880s kipps trading post before that..browning east side glacier park just few miles to canada....fred
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_6300.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6300.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
bob...youve got a good eye...thats my favorite too...knife has in house HBC stamp on it...inside is bag of 54 cal balls and aiso fire steel in its own buckskin bag wrapped with tow...bag appears to be indian tanned elk...knife sheath looks to indian tanned buffalo bull....scriver store since 1880s kipps trading post before that..browning east side glacier park just few miles to canada....fredView attachment 215900View attachment 215899View attachment 215898View attachment 215899
WoW! That is an incredible find. I have read in the period literature (Ruxton and others) that the old trappers and plainsmen in the west typically carried their fire making tools in their bullet pouches. Here is an example of that before our eyes. That steel shows some honest usage. Also, the best tinder I have found is unraveled jute twine, like you see wrapped around the strike-a-light pouch. That's a great idea; a good way to carry the tinder and put it to good use until it's needed for fire-making.

There is so much to be learned from these old artifacts. People say, "If only it could talk!" Sometimes they do... We just have to listen.

Thanks for the pictures and the description, Fred!

Notchy Bob

Fred, do you think that the stripes “curl “ are added as apposed to real?
And thanks for joining us, you are an asset!
phil....ive asked several collectors ....they all think just piece of wood with close small stripes...here is one of my lehmans with artificial stripes...as comparison....what do you think ???lehman was trying to make his guns look like that tiger stripe maple....fred
IMG_6438.JPG
IMG_6439.JPG
IMG_6439.JPG

Your Lehman is clearly painted on and that is fairly common as you note. The Hawken on the other hand puzzles me. With out it in hand the cracks in the stock don’t seem to have any wiggle in the grain. From hundreds of miles away the strips have some spots that could be interpreted as being added due to the angles and such. You are in a better position than I to determine this.
Thanks for the excellent photos.

Fred, if you could show one more photo, of the back side of the Indian-tanned pouch from Browning, I sure would appreciate it. I would like to see how the shoulder strap is attached to the body of the pouch. A lot of the plain or utilitarian Indian-made pouches had the straps just tied on with thongs. The white folks leaned more toward stitching or even riveting the straps, although their methods varied.

If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it. There is plenty to see already!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back