• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Kentucky, USA.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guess I'm not so new here anymore since I've been posting comments & videos for the past year or so....however, I'd like to tell a little about myself. I spent 30+ years in the metal detecting hobby detecting Civil War skirmish sites in KY, 100's of older homes in my local area, carnival sites, picnic grounds, WW II camps in Florida, SCUBA diving looking for jewelry in swimming holes around Tallahassee Florida, etc. from 1979 until 2013-14.
This was taken at a former 110 year old carnival site that gave up 1000's of older coins:

17942_1163138170103_2697116_n.jpg

In 2013, I had my bride's ( Mrs BPMS ) brother give me an o' black powder gun. It was a Traditions Woodsman Hawken percussion rifle, 1/2 can of pyrodex and about 30-35 .490 round balls. I also received very minimal instructions on how to load and shoot it. I had balls stuck in the barrel, dry balled many times, broken ramrods.... I finally figured out how to pull a nipple & add powder behind the ball and shoot it out. I was so afraid of trying that the 1st time...I actually hung the gun in a tree, tied a long string to the trigger, stood way back & pulled the trigger. Since the gun was hanging downwards from a tree, I used a metal detector to ensure I got the ball out by finding in the ground.
This gift somewhat ended my metal detecting hobby days. I LOVED shooting that cap rifle so much, I just about quit all other hobbies I was involved with. Just after Christmas 2013, I mentioned to Mrs. BPMS that I'm interested in a flintlock rifle. While visiting Louisville KY, I stopped in the Cabela's to check out the flint guns. They had one Pedersoli KY gun on the shelf. I asked for discount & the employee gave me one. I bought it and 2 hawks & out the door we went.
It was a pretty gun for the first few months:

1496004_10201295800548507_551798841_o.jpg

With all the scratches, nicks, being dropped, lying in bottom of canoes, etc...it doesn't look like that anymore.

One day, my daughter came home from high school and asked if I would help her make a commercial for a video editing class she was taking. We put together a commercial & she received an "A" for her work. I told myself...if she can do this, so can I. I started filming crude shooting videos and Hi-jacked her Youtube channel posting shooting videos...LOL
She came home one day from school and asked me NOT to put any videos on her channel because she was tired of all the comments "blowing" up her phone.

OK...I quit.

In October 2016, I started posting my own videos to the newly formed Black Powder Maniac Shooter Youtube Channel. If you haven't watched anything on it, its a channel full of wacky shooting of unusual things such as metal animal ( zoo critter ) targets, fidget spinners, BigFoot often gets spanked, magazines, ricochet shooting, shooting fully loaded cans of pop with the ladies, visiting other states and video taping new friends for videos, going to multiple trade shows, visiting the NMLRA events and showing others some really cool guns and anything else I can think of that sounds interesting related to the BP hobby. I have 15+ videos ready to post on the channel and filming new ones every week. I keep the channel clean of vulgarity, etc..... because I have lots of families tell me they allow their kids watch the videos. That's humbling......

Zoo critters....they don't look so pretty now...LOL

14046023_10206987549878683_7109068254243621224_n.jpg

Occasionally, I talk to middle school groups, D.A.R meetings, etc. near my hometown about the frontier life and hardships they occurred living in KY during the 1780's:

31841698_10211662994641880_790908881709563904_n.jpg

In Mefford's Fort, a 1790's log cabin near my home I often stop by and talk to school kids:

125164158_10218055191602809_7410773756543600357_n.jpg

I am now in a hobby I wished I started in 30+ years ago. Oh well, better late than not at all.
Ask Mrs BPMS, she will tell you I eat, breathe & sleep talking about these BP guns & the entire hobby as a whole. When we take a vacation these days....I always try to coordinate a day of shooting with a club or a family in another state for a fun future video project. Going back to Pennsylvania in October 2021 for another weekend of shooting fun.
That's enough for now.....Thanks for reading ..... have a blessed day.

I often watch the older videos catching up with all of the ones that have been released. Your videos have a very warming affect to them in wanting to be right there having fun shooting along with the rest of the people in them. Not only are you increasing the amount of exposure to the hobby itself you are putting faith into people that really boosts ones confidence that there is good still left out there. As has already been said thanks for the time you spend doing these and all the hard work. I only have one wish. I just want to spank big foot one time.:thumb:

I often watch the older videos catching up with all of the ones that have been released. Your videos have a very warming affect to them in wanting to be right there having fun shooting along with the rest of the people in them. Not only are you increasing the amount of exposure to the hobby itself you are putting faith into people that really boosts ones confidence that there is good still left out there. As has already been said thanks for the time you spend doing these and all the hard work. I only have one wish. I just want to spank big foot one time.:thumb:
WOW...some of those older ones are pretty crude....LOL I deleted about 50 of them 16-17 months ago.
Thanks for watching the remaining ones my friend.
You would LOVE to spank o' BigFoot.......even I can hit him with my poor shooting...LOL

Guess I'm not so new here anymore since I've been posting comments & videos for the past year or so....however, I'd like to tell a little about myself. I spent 30+ years in the metal detecting hobby detecting Civil War skirmish sites in KY, 100's of older homes in my local area, carnival sites, picnic grounds, WW II camps in Florida, SCUBA diving looking for jewelry in swimming holes around Tallahassee Florida, etc. from 1979 until 2013-14.
This was taken at a former 110 year old carnival site that gave up 1000's of older coins:

View attachment 91674

In 2013, I had my bride's ( Mrs BPMS ) brother give me an o' black powder gun. It was a Traditions Woodsman Hawken percussion rifle, 1/2 can of pyrodex and about 30-35 .490 round balls. I also received very minimal instructions on how to load and shoot it. I had balls stuck in the barrel, dry balled many times, broken ramrods.... I finally figured out how to pull a nipple & add powder behind the ball and shoot it out. I was so afraid of trying that the 1st time...I actually hung the gun in a tree, tied a long string to the trigger, stood way back & pulled the trigger. Since the gun was hanging downwards from a tree, I used a metal detector to ensure I got the ball out by finding in the ground.
This gift somewhat ended my metal detecting hobby days. I LOVED shooting that cap rifle so much, I just about quit all other hobbies I was involved with. Just after Christmas 2013, I mentioned to Mrs. BPMS that I'm interested in a flintlock rifle. While visiting Louisville KY, I stopped in the Cabela's to check out the flint guns. They had one Pedersoli KY gun on the shelf. I asked for discount & the employee gave me one. I bought it and 2 hawks & out the door we went.

View attachment 91675

With all the scratches, nicks, being dropped, lying in bottom of canoes, etc...it doesn't look like that anymore.

One day, my daughter came home from high school and asked if I would help her make a commercial for a video editing class she was taking. We put together a commercial & she received an "A" for her work. I told myself...if she can do this, so can I. I started filming crude shooting videos and Hi-jacked her Youtube channel posting shooting videos...LOL
She came home one day from school and asked me NOT to put any videos on her channel because she was tired of all the comments "blowing" up her phone.

OK...I quit.

In October 2016, I started posting my own videos to the newly formed Black Powder Maniac Shooter Youtube Channel. If you haven't watched anything on it, its a channel full of wacky shooting of unusual things such as metal animal ( zoo critter ) targets, fidget spinners, BigFoot often gets spanked, magazines, ricochet shooting, shooting fully loaded cans of pop with the ladies, visiting other states and video taping new friends for videos, going to multiple trade shows, visiting the NMLRA events and showing others some really cool guns and anything else I can think of that sounds interesting related to the BP hobby. I have 15+ videos ready to post on the channel and filming new ones every week. I keep the channel clean of vulgarity, etc..... because I have lots of families tell me they allow their kids watch the videos. That's humbling......

View attachment 91676

Occasionally, I talk to middle school groups, D.A.R meetings, etc. near my hometown about the frontier life and hardships they occurred living in KY during the 1780's:

View attachment 91677

In Mefford's Fort, a 1790's log cabin near my home I often stop by and talk to school kids:

View attachment 91678

I am now in a hobby I wished I started in 30+ years ago. Oh well, better late than not at all.
Ask Mrs BPMS, she will tell you I eat, breathe & sleep talking about these BP guns & the entire hobby as a whole. When we take a vacation these days....I always try to coordinate a day of shooting with a club or a family in another state for a fun future video project. Going back to Pennsylvania in October 2021 for another weekend of shooting fun.
as stated you have become a NATIONAL TREASURE!! I for one hang onto your every word, and video, and rewind a lot of times! thank you for letting us know where you are comming from> and the photo taken in the fort look's to be killer. best, toot.

Thanks for the back story Mark. I always assumed you were taken by a tribe of Indians and raised up shooting and hunting with muzzleloaders in the Kentucky Woodlands lol!

I've enjoyed your videos. I like how your videos lean more towards the shooting side and having a great time with friends. If I can't get out to shoot I can always watch one of your videos! Looking forward to many more

Jack

Thanks for the back story Mark. I always assumed you were taken by a tribe of Indians and raised up shooting and hunting with muzzleloaders in the Kentucky Woodlands lol!

I've enjoyed your videos. I like how your videos lean more towards the shooting side and having a great time with friends. If I can't get out to shoot I can always watch one of your videos! Looking forward to many more

Jack
Since I can't hit much with my muzzleloaders...I have to keep them fun...LOL I'm going back to Pennsylvaia in October to film with a whole bunch of shooters. Then...head south when it gets colder & keep on burning that powder!

Mark, please let us know when it is going to happen. you are the Guinee pig that does all of the things that we always wanted to do but never get around to doing it!. and now we all know weather it will work or not?? toot.

Mark, please let us know when it is going to happen. you are the Guinee pig that does all of the things that we always wanted to do but never get around to doing it!. and now we all know weather it will work or not?? toot.

I'm heading to Franklin, Pennsylvania from October 7 thru October 13, 2021.
That weekend on October 10th, there will be a FREE event I'm going to be a part of hosting. Abe's General Store in Oil City PA is hosting the event showing lots of muzzleloaders he sells to the public. He will have accessories available to sell also. I'm setting up 18 targets within about 75 - 100 yards on a woods walk style shoot. 16 of the targets will be steel & 2 bowling pins. O' BigFoot will be there too. He's fairly easy to hit. They will be set up in the woods to shoot across a creek...most of the targets will only be 25-35 yards out. I want the new shooters to hit most of them.
There will be no entry fee, no medals awards, no prize money. Its a day to swap shop talk, showing anyone new that comes out how to shoot a BP gun. If you have a traditional BP gun, bring it along & shoot all you want.

I loaded up my smoothbore over 100 times and my Great Plain cap pistol over 70 times for others to try out last time. I put together 4 different videos of the event that was posted on the BPMS channel last fall. Probably something similar will happen again this year. Only this time, I've had requests to hang some smaller tougher targets to shoot. I'm going to do just that. Those little pizza slices ( on the left - picture #2 ) should be tougher to hit. Here are the targets ready to hang Sunday morning the day of the shoot:

240819584_432634908075793_6150744323734259386_n.jpg
240842922_2897336307243184_1017172138640035343_n.jpg

If interested, here 's a little of the fun from last year:

Mark do you have a clue when you say head south of where you might be going south. Oil City is 1500 miles from me and just to far to go as much as I would like to go.

Mark do you have a clue when you say head south of where you might be going south. Oil City is 1500 miles from me and just to far to go as much as I would like to go.
I'm not sure yet where we will go. Guess it depends on who is willing to host us at their back yard or barn lot or the lower 40......LOL I really don't care for matches & competitions. Most of those get too serious with the shooters.

I would love to meet up with several other shooters, trying each other's guns, have fun shooting zoo critters & other fun targets. Obviously....I will bring the cameras with me & make one or maybe two different videos showing the fun...just like I did in Pennsylvania last month. It seems the viewers likes the FLINTLOCK FEMALE FUN videos I post...so...finding the ladies to shoot with is always fun.
For starters...we will probably head to the Carolinas or Tennessee for a start.

View attachment 91674

View attachment 91675

OK...I quit.

View attachment 91676

View attachment 91677

View attachment 91678

Just over the TN border from you.The bug hit me much like it did you.

Mark,

Always a pleasure watching your videos. I love when you try different things, like shooting two balls out of a rifle, and exploring the differences between how each rifle reacts, etc. I just watched your new “recovered lead” video. Fun times as always. I am a subscriber and would highly recommend that everyone else who views your videos subscribe too. I watched your videos and Bob McBride’s Black Powder TV videos long before I knew either of you were on this forum. You share a lot of helpful and interesting information. Keep doing what you are doing and I look forward to your next adventure!

Tim
(UndeadPoet)
A former KY/IN boy, now in NC

Back