• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help! Ramrod End?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gang,

My tulip ramrod tip came in from Track and I got it installed today. I whittled down the end of the rod and secured it with epoxy:

DE7C96CC-7A76-44B7-9CDC-13591FBEBF6F.jpeg

I’m thrilled with it!! Can’t wait to test it with my blanket wads. Here’s the other end, it’s tapered to accept a coil type trade gun worm:

B4930690-C0B8-42F0-A397-978B19EE019E.jpeg

Thank you SO much to all who helped me!! :D

Last edited:
I have the same worm, it was kind of blunt and I couldn’t pick up a patch in the barrel. I filled a slender point on it and now it works well. Hey another thing, when I use tow, I ball it up in my hand to compress it a bit, it seems to go down the barrel as a unit a little better. Enjoy your smooth gun, they are great fun!

I have the same worm, it was kind of blunt and I couldn’t pick up a patch in the barrel. I filled a slender point on it and now it works well. Hey another thing, when I use tow, I ball it up in my hand to compress it a bit, it seems to go down the barrel as a unit a little better. Enjoy your smooth gun, they are great fun!

5E3086FE-0626-4A9D-80E3-7FA1655199C5.jpeg

Just did it, and also blued the worm. Does it look okay?

Looks good. Try it out at home to see if it works. That way if it needs more of a point you can easily do it. If your out in the woods or on the range you might have a problem.

@Smokey Plainsman, the tow worm is looking good. I would still put a pin in the tulip tip even though you won't likely be pulling any ball or wads from the bore with that end of the rod. That's the conservative engineer in me to make an extra effort to retain tips by physical means as well as using epoxy. The coil will grip the rod really well. I would make some shallow grooves in the rod end to give some purchase to the coils. But, after a few uses, the grooves will begin to form.

Real tow from flax is the best, but fluffed up jute, hemp or sisal twine works pretty good too. Cut the twine into 4 to 6" lengths and fluff the twine into the individual strands. Make a ball and twist onto the coils.

@Smokey Plainsman, the tow worm is looking good. I would still put a pin in the tulip tip even though you won't likely be pulling any ball or wads from the bore with that end of the rod. That's the conservative engineer in me to make an extra effort to retain tips by physical means as well as using epoxy. The coil will grip the rod really well. I would make some shallow grooves in the rod end to give some purchase to the coils. But, after a few uses, the grooves will begin to form.

Real tow from flax is the best, but fluffed up jute, hemp or sisal twine works pretty good too. Cut the twine into 4 to 6" lengths and fluff the twine into the individual strands. Make a ball and twist onto the coils.

Thanks! I added a pin made from an old nail last night and also lightly antiqued the brass. Also, I helped the coil impressions along with a needle file to deepen them. Works great!!

51285BC0-962F-4D83-80D6-EC6A4446C5C4.jpeg

251237EF-F2FF-4D6A-B630-0C50E39CB67E.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I trust that the tulip is not interfering with the shot column and wads as the charge is fired. Seems pretty close from this side view.
That’s my primary rod for this gun, but change it out for a different rod when running shot down the gun
Thigh used it at a smoothie shoot in May and didn’t have any trouble
And when I have a turkey load it works good

So I shot in the woods the other day and decided to try the coil tow worm to clean the bore with a wad of tow just as they would have done during the period.

Using a small puddle of water I found to moisten the tow, I found it scrubbed the bore EXTREMELY well. I would rinse and wash the tow off every so often and after just a short while, it was coming clean from the bore.

Followed it with some dry tow and then finished with some greased tow. I was really stunned how nicely and quickly it cleaned compared to normal cleaning patches and a jag.

They knew what they were doing back then for sure. If you’ve never tried cleaning with tow, DEFINITELY try it!!

Also, the tulip tip is working great! No issues at all like I was experiencing with the skinny bare rod!

Latest posts

Back