• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Trade Gun Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! I shot my northwest trade gun today. I practiced with ball and shot.

56AC495B-D76C-4051-8578-BEDB83AC66DB.jpeg

I’m wadding exclusively with greased flax tow. I’m finding using both an over powder and over shot wad is giving me better more consistent groups with ball and nicer patterns with shot.

Using #6 shot harvested from some old shotgun shells, I’m getting squirrel-busting patterns out to 20 yards or so with a square load of 80 grains 3Fg Goex (which I also prime with).

Still need to work on it to get a bit more range. Bushytails watch out this fall! Got to love the versatility of a smoothbore, and this one is just fantastic all around.

Recently I bought this nice bison powder horn from member “Cooleys” on this forum. It’s probably my most favorite horn ever, and looks great with my glass bead wampum strap.

Cooleys also let me know he could make me an accompanying pouch and we worked on the specs for it. The resulting pouch, based on an original 19th C. fur trade era example, is magnificent.

Before I was using a belt worn Lemuel Lyman style pouch and while nice, things got too cramped in there and it had a tendency to drop items.

This pouch is still modest in size yet is noticeably deeper with a gusset, and comfortable carries all my items. The attention to detail and craftsmanship on this bag are stellar.

Inside I’ve got a small leather shot bottle, linen rag for wiping the frizzen and for general cleaning, loose round balls at the bottom of the pouch, and a smoked brain tanned drawstring poke for carrying my greased tow wadding which can also be used to protect the bore after cleaning, plus lubricating the lock.

There is a spacious pocket sewn to the inside rear of the pouch that stores my turnscrew, spare gunflints, a coil worm, and a hank of clean dry tow for swabbing.

A carved antler measure hangs from the bag strap and I’ve got a vent pick hanging from the spout of the powder horn. I’ve also added a frizzen stall to the gun for safety when hunting.

I wanted to keep things as period as possible as well as simple. I’ve got everything I need to shoot a useful amount of ball and shot, and to clean the gun several times since tow can be washed out and reused.

I’ll get a detailed photo of the bag’s contents up soon. I think this is a great setup for this gun.

Thanks and take care all!

Dillon

Attachments

• 2CE0BDDD-E935-4F32-9206-DD6D73222863.jpeg
    2CE0BDDD-E935-4F32-9206-DD6D73222863.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I forgot to ask (you probably posted about it and I missed the thread), tell me about the gun.

Thanks! I bought it at the Fort de Charters rendezvous here in Illinois last month.

I’m terrible with names but the guy selling it was named Rick I think. It’s built off a Pecatonia kit and is extremely well made. The lock sparks great and is tuned. Love it!

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I've shot my fusil ,,,also built from pecatonica kit. I had Danny Caywood put a full jug choke in it. From my pattern I believe 30 yards is no problem fir bushytailes. I've not experimented any so hope to increase that to 35 maybe more.I built mine myself. It's a blast to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_144555.jpg
    IMG_20230614_144555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230614_144522.jpg
    IMG_20230614_144522.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 238691

I’m wadding exclusively with greased flax tow. I’m finding using both an over powder and over shot wad is giving me better more consistent groups with ball and nicer patterns with shot.

Using #6 shot harvested from some old shotgun shells, I’m getting squirrel-busting patterns out to 20 yards or so with a square load of 80 grains 3Fg Goex (which I also prime with).

Still need to work on it to get a bit more range. Bushytails watch out this fall! Got to love the versatility of a smoothbore, and this one is just fantastic all around.

Recently I bought this nice bison powder horn from member “Cooleys” on this forum. It’s probably my most favorite horn ever, and looks great with my glass bead wampum strap.

Cooleys also let me know he could make me an accompanying pouch and we worked on the specs for it. The resulting pouch, based on an original 19th C. fur trade era example, is magnificent.

Before I was using a belt worn Lemuel Lyman style pouch and while nice, things got too cramped in there and it had a tendency to drop items.

This pouch is still modest in size yet is noticeably deeper with a gusset, and comfortable carries all my items. The attention to detail and craftsmanship on this bag are stellar.

Inside I’ve got a small leather shot bottle, linen rag for wiping the frizzen and for general cleaning, loose round balls at the bottom of the pouch, and a smoked brain tanned drawstring poke for carrying my greased tow wadding which can also be used to protect the bore after cleaning, plus lubricating the lock.

There is a spacious pocket sewn to the inside rear of the pouch that stores my turnscrew, spare gunflints, a coil worm, and a hank of clean dry tow for swabbing.

A carved antler measure hangs from the bag strap and I’ve got a vent pick hanging from the spout of the powder horn. I’ve also added a frizzen stall to the gun for safety when hunting.

I wanted to keep things as period as possible as well as simple. I’ve got everything I need to shoot a useful amount of ball and shot, and to clean the gun several times since tow can be washed out and reused.

I’ll get a detailed photo of the bag’s contents up soon. I think this is a great setup for this gun.

Dillon
Awesome!

Good look’n combo you got there! The gun, the horn, and bag look perfect together. Also sounds like you might be having lil too much fun working on load development LOL!!! Enjoy…good luck…and bag some tasty squirrels!

Thanks, gang!

I’ve resorted to cutting open shotshells to get shot lol. I’m trying to find a place to buy a few lbs of #6 shot at a time.

So should I stick to an 80 grain volume of shot and back of the powder charge? Or up the amount of shot?

Thanks, gang!

I’ve resorted to cutting open shotshells to get shot lol. I’m trying to find a place to buy a few lbs of #6 shot at a time.

So should I stick to an 80 grain volume of shot and back of the powder charge? Or up the amount of shot?
Try using an 80 gr volume of shot with a 60 gr powder charge. See how that works for you. One side penetration of a tuna can is all that’s needed.

View attachment 238691

Dillon
That’s a very nice setup. I’m now officially looking for a smooth bore

Latest posts

Back