• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help! with cleaning my musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only time I ever experienced Rust was when I fell pray to the notion that I had to us "Hot" water; I had to put it down and tend to something and when I came back (maybe 20 min) the barrel was red with 'flash'(?) rust.
It just wiped out however.
But I Stopped using hot water after that and have Never had rust again.

Cotton patches are all fine and good but I found Cotton Flannel 100x better and using a one size smaller jag I can get a hood tight fit (for rifle) without struggling to pull back out.

Water is good; I run just two or three to loosen, dissolve all the crud and salts everyone mentions - I used to get sloppy with it but found that is not necessary; just a couple or few Soaked patches then I use some form of bore cleaner (I prefer Ballistol or even Hopps), IF I feel necessary then I run my tow (I use a coarse hemp tow) and ALWAYS follow that up with wet patch of cleaner then dry patches.
I usually finish up with Alcohol patch followed by Dry patch followed by Oil patch (Barricade for me).

Never, ever have had rust from the salty sea coast to the high desert...well, that is a lie; I had rust ONCE when using boiling hot water.

Cotton Flannel is only about $10/yard and you can cut a Huge bag of any size you want: much cheaper then bulk back at the local gun shopp, more absorbent and just plain better.

"Hot water"; no thanks, ya'll can keep it.

Latest posts

Back