• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failure :’(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, this is almost as good as a stuck ball thread. ;)

Who woulda figured it'd go to four pages - likely to go more?

But I will say, there is something about the aesthetics of a ramrod that wants it close to the length of the barrel. True, there's nothing saying it has to be that way, but they don't look quite right if they're too short or long.

But I will say, there is something about the aesthetics of a ramrod that wants it close to the length of the barrel. True, there's nothing saying it has to be that way, but they don't look quite right if they're too short or long.
It’s way better than a stuck ball thread🥱…..because

A STUCK BALL IS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM..

that might have multiple solutions…and meaningful discussion.

Are you kidding? It’s fine. Hell, I have my rods stick out some to have extra grabability. You’re never going to be happy
Yep, same here. Due to the small diameter of the ram rod on my .32 Crockett rifle, I deliberately made it longer and then I keep the cleaning jag on it as well. Yes it can be somewhat of a pain but it sure makes it easier to grab whenever a cleaning patch suddenly becomes uninterested in coming out. This is especially true up in the mountains during colder weather conditions.

Why not ask about the best way to clean your muzzleloader?

Whelp… tonight I attempted to add a brass tip to the bare wood ramrod of my trade gun.

I THOUGHT I made the measurements correct, but it ended up being much too short:

View attachment 288979

As you can see, the end of the tip is not flush with the muzzle. It’s bothering me tremendously. I fear I’ll have to make a new ramrod from scratch because of this.

Does this kind of stuff bother anyone else? How bad/off does this look to you?

Smokey
It's only a tiny amount; once it's used to ram a charge, would it make any difference?

Extended ramrod jags ,3 or 4" , are great for having a bit more R.R. to grip when cleaning the bore ...
I like that aspect too, but I settled on even with the Muzzle with the jag attached. Including the jag length makes it ready to use while hunting or shooting in the field. Extending beyond interferes with cutting patches and/or using a loading block.

Whelp… tonight I attempted to add a brass tip to the bare wood ramrod of my trade gun.

I THOUGHT I made the measurements correct, but it ended up being much too short:

View attachment 288979

As you can see, the end of the tip is not flush with the muzzle. It’s bothering me tremendously. I fear I’ll have to make a new ramrod from scratch because of this.

Smokey
Don't sweat the small stuff

Some of the advice on here is down right out dangerous.

Nobody should ever cut a barrel for the sake of matching it to ramrod length.

What happens when or if the wooden ramrod breaks? Shorten the barrel shorten the stock ?

Just make a new ramrod, or get a longer end or stuff the channel.

Done with this thread.
You really took those "cut the barrel" comments seriously? Good lord, man... :doh:

You really took those "cut the barrel" comments seriously? Good lord, man... :doh:

You really don’t think there are people on this forum that wouldn’t cut a barrel back if you told them you thought it was a good idea?

E.G.. There are people on this forum that actually think using a steel rammer is dangerous because it could cause a spark that would ignite a powder charge.

There aer some that have advised TIG welding lugs and sights onto a barrel, i can’t even begin to say how wrong that could go.

and yes, if you search it there are people who have cut or filed barrels back to match the length of a ramrod.

Last edited:
I like that aspect too, but I settled on even with the Muzzle with the jag attached. Including the jag length makes it ready to use while hunting or shooting in the field. Extending beyond interferes with cutting patches and/or using a loading block.
Oh , my ramrods are always even with the Muzzle , never extending beyond . The skinny end has a brass threaded tip ... I screw on the extended jag on there during g cleaning then remove it when done . I'd never have a ramrod that extends beyond the Muzzle . The get caught on brush and other things and get covered in corrosion each shot . Not for me ....

Yeah I hear folks sayin a longer rod will get caught on brush and such. They are usually the same folks saying a long barrel rifle ain't handy in thick cover and you need a short barreled gun. Most of those folks never been in the woods with their rifle I believe. Anyway I don't care for a longer than muzzle length rod if I'm cutting patch at the muzzle. Only reason I don't care for it. If it's shorter we'll as long as it works to load. Other than that I would have just made a new rod and been done if I was losing sleep over it. I wish I only had these kind of problems.

View attachment 288979

Smokey
You might have to change your name to "Monk".

Back