• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunbuilder's bench plans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted a photo and a couple of guys have asked where I got the plans for the bench. I purchased the plans from one of the members here or on one of the other forums, but for the life of me, I can't remember that member's name and don't have his contact info. The bench is the one in this photo (and admittedly, I built mine with rough, green pine and didn't do a great job finishing it). If anyone has the info about where to get the plans, what they cost, who the contact is, etc., I'd be curious and would like to pass the info along to those who have asked. For what it's worth, my bench probably isn't the best for super heavy duty rasping, but otherwise it works very well for most gunbuilding functions and the few bucks that I paid for the plans were worth it to me.
DSCN3073.JPG

That would be my design, the plans are available from me. You must be a bit stronger than me. I get pretty ferocious shaping stocks down to rough size and find it fine for my use. I also use a tie down strap over the forend support and forend when I’m getting froggy. BJH

PS PM me for more info.

One of my gun building buddies built himself a gun builder's work bench from a saw horse. He merely removed the horizontal piece of wood, and inserted a 2X12 the wide way, bolted on his vise and he was ready to go. He still uses that bench at dog and pony shows because of its portability.

Mine was originally built to have a functioning gunstockers bench that was semi portable, by disassembling it. I have had it at Dixon’s gunmakers fair when I used to have a table there. Plus at some local show and tells. I found it to be so handy I no longer use My traditional work bench for much, except bench vice work. BJH

Yes, as I recall you were the guy. ;) I ordered the parts from you and advised another member that I'd try to get the contact info again. As for the bench, I made the mistake of using green pine that I had milled here on the property and it twisted some, so I have to use shims to keep it from lifting up and down. Perhaps if I had used proper wood in its construction it would be more sturdy for me. I do like the idea of strapping down the front end though. Thanks.

Back