• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself! Was taking apart a double set trigger this morning getting everything ready to brown the parts when the trigger return spring launched itself into the air. I heard it clink on something solid so for the next hour I hunted for it. If a drawer on one of the toolboxes was open it was emptied out, I cleaned parts of the work bench that haven't been cleaned in months, I swept the sawdust off the floor and from under benches then went over the dust with a magnet. Finally I admitted defeat and considered the spring lost. Now those who know me can testify that my coffee cup almost is never empty...when it gets down to about a quarter full it gets topped off. Was about to break for lunch so gulped the last mouthful and nearly choked,,,there was the spring right where it had been all morning even after multiple refills.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 4
Couple months ago , my 30 yr. old plastic bottle of inletting black , just disappeared almost before my eyes. I call things that become lost in my shop , "escapees" . Could be tools , or whatever. I'm an impatient guy , and the cure for an escapee , is immediate replacement. This causes a jealousy in the escapee , and soon after the replacement item is in use , the original Item returns. So , I was frustrated at loosing the inletting black , and ordered a new replacement jar. The new jar came , and I began using it . This weekend , I was working on something requiring a c-clamp stored under my bench. I grabbed the clamp , and the 30 yr. old jar of inletting black , (the escapee) , fell off the top of the clamp onto the floor. ....Works every time.

Frustrating when this happens.
About 6 months ago I was reloading in the Man Cave and took off my wedding ring. Arthritis causes swelling so it gets tight at times. I am always very careful with it when I remove it so it went into my shirt pocket . Couldn't find it when I was done. I have emptied every container/box/drawer of the bench. Cleaned out underneath it, removed the rugs and it is still lost. Bought another one but it will turn up some day, probably in a box of flintlock parts.....

Don

I keep two anti gravity tools in my shop. One is a magnet on a metal extension wand , and one of those grabbers where you push on the end of the devise , and four springy metal fingers come out and clasp the offending escapee for retrieval. Magnetic one is for ferrous metal items , and the spring device is for all other . Since I have used a Stanley Workmate vise-workbench , I can sit and work. Sitting at the bench , makes most potential escapees on the floor , within range of the magnet wand, and the spring grabber. Man should take no BS from inanimate objects!

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself! Was taking apart a double set trigger this morning getting everything ready to brown the parts when the trigger return spring launched itself into the air. I heard it clink on something solid so for the next hour I hunted for it. If a drawer on one of the toolboxes was open it was emptied out, I cleaned parts of the work bench that haven't been cleaned in months, I swept the sawdust off the floor and from under benches then went over the dust with a magnet. Finally I admitted defeat and considered the spring lost. Now those who know me can testify that my coffee cup almost is never empty...when it gets down to about a quarter full it gets topped off. Was about to break for lunch so gulped the last mouthful and nearly choked,,,there was the spring right where it had been all morning even after multiple refills.
I feel your pain! Been there done that!

I keep two anti gravity tools in my shop. One is a magnet on a metal extension wand , and one of those grabbers where you push on the end of the devise , and four springy metal fingers come out and clasp the offending escapee for retrieval. Magnetic one is for ferrous metal items , and the spring device is for all other . Since I have used a Stanley Workmate vise-workbench , I can sit and work. Sitting at the bench , makes most potential escapees on the floor , within range of the magnet wand, and the spring grabber. Man should take no BS from inanimate objects !!

I to have those moments when a tiny spring has sprung, a number 2 screw has taken a walk. A magnet is really nice to have, have even vacuumed everything and then check the bag. But my very best way of finding is call my wife. She has the skill to always find it, and then is proud that she saved my day. Yes, I got one of the good ones.

Latest posts

Back