• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a cheap U shape Magnet and suspend it from a long string (when not in use keep it magnetically locked on to something Iron or Steel to preserve its Magnetic integrity).

Bad stereo speakers are often donated to thrift shops, where they are put in the dumpster. Rarely are they worth fixing, but you can salvage the rather powerful magnets from them. I put them in quart freezer bags and peel the bags off to minimize the steel fuzz the magnets would pick up otherwise, but IME, replacements are easy to find when they get too fuzzy.

My pills are always rolling off the counter, never find them…

My bane is putting something "some place safe". I will never see it again. "Some place safe" must be the biggest room in the house, but I don't know where it is.
Boy, glad I’m not the only one! 😂

When dismantling smaller items, I've learned to do it with my working hand and the item inside a clear plastic bag. I first tried it out around fifty years ago, when taking apart a little Erma .22cal semiauto pistol. The ejector - that usually flew off into dimension X - was safely captured in the bag.
I definitely have to remember that!

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself! Was taking apart a double set trigger this morning getting everything ready to brown the parts when the trigger return spring launched itself into the air. I heard it clink on something solid so for the next hour I hunted for it. If a drawer on one of the toolboxes was open it was emptied out, I cleaned parts of the work bench that haven't been cleaned in months, I swept the sawdust off the floor and from under benches then went over the dust with a magnet. Finally I admitted defeat and considered the spring lost. Now those who know me can testify that my coffee cup almost is never empty...when it gets down to about a quarter full it gets topped off. Was about to break for lunch so gulped the last mouthful and nearly choked,,,there was the spring right where it had been all morning even after multiple refills.
Great post ... The Fusil I'm building now has given me SO many headaches . Ive misplaced two different screws and the trigger so far , among other things ... After searching in vain for over an hour for each item ive made a new part from scratch ...then each one I found the next day ...So frustrating. At least the shop floor and under the bench is the cleanest its ever been !! Lordy .... LOL

Oh yes. Seems every time I drop something small at my workbench, it winds up in the Twilight Zone under the table, and all the way up against the wall. The table base sits only a few inches off the floor (drawers on either side), so it's the same procedure, grab the flashlight and something long and slim to fish the part out, get down on hands and knees to get it, then hope I dont have to push the "Ive fallen and cant get up button!". Never fails.

Off subject a little; I live in a street legal golf cart (no I don't play golf) community and doing a little top speed increase on the Yamaha engine, you have to pull off the forward, reverse lever which is held on by a cir-clip. Well, using a screwdriver to snap the cir-clip off, it flew into the great beyond. For a .10 cent replacement it cost $10 delivered. As soon as I received the replacement two weeks later, my wife asked what is that dangling from the fluorescent light fixture...yep, you guessed it! It was embedded in the fixture plastic cover. Sure glad it was not my eye!

You find a part on the shop floor and have no clue what it is or what came from.
That's usually one that some other guy launched - and it turned sideways & slipped through a different dimension onto to your floor.

I know that's what happened to several parts I've lost hold of...

One thing which helps me somewhat is a magnetic steel bowl to put small parts in. It is no help when I launch something into the twilight zone during assembly or disassembly, but otherwise keeps things put where I will know where they are. Because of eye disease I have come to put great store in good, strong lighting. And in magnifiers.
Learned the hard way and sometimes forgotten: Declutter your worktop. Miscellaneous unrelated stuff is just an invitation to problems.

Back