• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got lucky...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After shooting my Lyman trade rifle on the weekend, I was using a small tapered brush with a patch wrapped around it to clean the narrow "patent" chamber. The brass end of the rod slipped off leaving the brush and the end stuck down the barrel. (I've seen warnings on the forum about this, but did it anyway.)

But I found I could slip the wooden end of the rod into the brass tube, so I coated it with some Titebond glue and slid it into the tube again, then left it there overnight. I stood it upright so any glue oozing out would get caught in the patch-wrapped brush. Next afternoon I squirted some WD40 where the touch hole insert goes then gently twisted and pulled the brush back out. A good cleaning and everything was as good as new.

There're probably better fixes, but thought I'd post this for what it's worth. Next job is to put a rivet through that brass end so it doesn't happen again!

Clever fix. Congratulations. That's one of the wonderful things about BP. People are very innovative in the things they do. Another way to make sure it doesn't happen again would be to not use a brush at all. Water will dissolve normal BP residue.

Clever fix. Congratulations. That's one of the wonderful things about BP. People are very innovative in the things they do. Another way to make sure it doesn't happen again would be to not use a brush at all. Water will dissolve normal BP residue.
Thanks. I don't use the brush as a brush, but only to get a patch into the narrow/tapered chamber by wrapping the patch around the brush with a long nose sticking out ahead. Works pretty well as a rule.

Good job. Now pin the brass end to the rod before somethin’ like this happens again.

Back