• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

going to Friendship...MAYBE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a flyer for the Forum Woodswalk at Friendship, or will it be announced here on the forum.

No flyer. It will be announced here on the forum.
As of right now, the plan is to have it the first Saturday at 1:30 pm. Meet at the woodswalk shack.

This is an informal contest within a contest. Mostly just to give members a chance to meet each other in person and shoot the bull while shooting muzzleloaders. There is a traveling trophy plate that the member with the best score takes home until the next big Friendship shoot. The winner gets to have his/her name engraved on the plate.
We shoot any traditional muzzleloader which falls under NMLRA rules for the woodswalk matches. Smoothbore, pistol, or rifle will all compete against each other. Best score wins. It's fun. Try to make it. :hatsoff:

@Missessinewa:
You're welcome. Another tip: If you plan to camp/stay overnight, bring enough soft drinks/water/ snacks and a cooler. They sell soft drinks only at the cafeteria which is open until about 8pm. All the vending machines on the back of the cafeteria are not operational during the shoot. Discussing things until late in the night and the Indiana weather can make you thirsty/hungry later at night and then there is no soft drinks/water/food in sight.
Learned that the hard way... :)

Mississinewa said:
This will also be my first year to shoot at Friendship so I'll also be learning just how to get around to the different shoots. Is there a flyer for the Forum Woodswalk at Friendship, or will it be announced here on the forum. The advice on using the last years schedule for planning was a great help. :hatsoff:

It's looking probable that there will be a small book available by the June shoot at Friendship entitled something like "A Users Guide to Friendship". Alan Kleinstiver is pulling it together to give newcomers what they need to know to enjoy Friendship from the get-go, like times, costs, locations, rules, scoring, and the specialized jargon each discipline tends to develop.

trent/OH said:
It's looking probable that there will be a small book available by the June shoot at Friendship entitled something like "A Users Guide to Friendship". Alan Kleinstiver is pulling it together to give newcomers what they need to know to enjoy Friendship from the get-go, like times, costs, locations, rules, scoring, and the specialized jargon each discipline tends to develop.

That will be nice!

I will try to make the Forum's Woodswalk. Sounds great. My work may interfere with that first weekend though. Work gets in the way a lot these days.. The User Guide would be a great thing for NMLRA to publish. Making it a little easier to find your way around. That may encourage some folks to join in the National Shoots too. I would love to camp. Gotta love those evening campfires, but I haven't gotten all my gear together yet this year so I may go the hotel route. At any rate, looking forward to the Friendship shoot.

what is the motel situation there? I ask because if I make it, I will likely fly down and drive back. Hope I can fly my guns with me and buy powder and caps there.

There are no motels or hotels in Friendship directly. The next towns with motels/hotels should be either Versailles,IN, Madison,IN and Lawrenceburg,IN (closest to Cincinnati and 20 miles to Friendship). There is a Motel in Aurora,IN,too which is even a little closer. All motels are probably 20min to 35 min drive away.
Camping is the best option imho to get to know people and get the most from the experience.

I see. Then the motel option is no problem. Quite a few serious competitive shooters stay in motels in the nearby places I mentioned.
What brand of #11 caps do you usually shoot?
Caps are available at Friendship, but not necessarily the brand you normally shoot.
Caps are mostly around $7 for 100. I usually buy the Winchester brand ones locally for $5 for 100 at our local outdoor store. Never saw a difference to other more expensive caps.

If you are serious about coming we can always find an empty tent or bunk for new people. Just let us know a few days ahead of time. I usually come with two tents and two cots. Not sure how long my better half is going to stay this time. My supply tent can usually hold a visitor, but you might have to sleep on the ground.

Jethro used to come and sleep in his Jeep until we horse collared him and loaned him a diamond wedge.

"Period" outfits are pretty loosely defined. If you bring a long shirt and knee breeches you should be in good shape. We will find guns, blackpowder and ball for you to use. Bows too if you are so inclined. So you don't need to worry about hauling those on the plane. Just remember the basic rule, you shoot it, you clean it.

If you don't want to cook there is the cafeteria across the road or for simpler fare there is a Fry Bread place just outside the Primitive Camp Gates. Their Chicken Cordon Bleu Fry Bread is one of my favorites.

Night time is when the campfires and jars break out and the conversation begins. We do have music up on the hill, the electronically enhanced music from the flea market wafts up the hill until about 11PM. When we hear Rocky Top that is usually when the band packs it in.

The first part of the week is when most of the vendors are there. They bail out around Wednesday or so in order to get set for the next Rondy somewhere else.

It is a good time. If you like to shoot blackpowder you will enjoy yourself.

Many Klatch

newtewsmoke if you have the opportunity to go and explore Friendship during one of the National, do it. Than you will never say to your self, I should have gone.

Jethro used to come and sleep in his Jeep until we horse collared him and loaned him a diamond wedge.

That's a fact. And I thank you very much. :hatsoff:

BTW, now that you guys corrupted me and I have 2 of everything I need, I PT'd Newtosmoke last night and offered to loan him some gear if he wanted to camp on the primitive side.
Just payin' it forward... :)

Yes and THANKS again Jethro, THANK YOU also Many Klatch for the offer!!!!!
What is the dress code? Are these clothes mandatory to shoot, walk around, hang out?
Scott

Some of the matches, on the primitive side, require "period dress". After hours on the primitive side you are supposed to be in period dress. "Period dress" is rather loosely interpreted at Friendship...
You really should camp with us if you come to Friendship. You'll have a good time.
Hanging out with Many Klatch and Grizz changed my whole perspective. In a good way. I just showed up to shop, started talking to those two... next thing you know I was dressing funny, sleeping under a tarp, and addicted to flintlocks. :surrender:

I slept in my old Blazer for 3 years, before I started to camp. I still don't camp on the primitive side, but just across from it with modern equipment.
I wear "funny" clothes though and hang out mostly at the primitive camp and around gunmakers hall.

Scott

Do you normally dress in period clothing? Or are you more of guy that just likes to shoot ML without dressing up? No offence either way, I can swing both ways but I don't wear primitive clothing or shoot on the primitive range at Friendship.

When do you think you will there? I usually am there for only the first fri, sat, sun, mon, leave tues. Not 100% sure who is going with me this year, but if it works I should be able to bring a small tent, cot etc for you. Wont matter to me where you camp, but the spot next to us is often open. You would be able to hang out at night with my group, or go where ever you like, wander around and meet the other fine folks.

On the north side of the creek all the matches are modern clothing, however, you can and some do shoot in primitive garb.

The short story is that you have plenty of offers of help!

Whatever you do I think is to find a group to hang with at night. Build some friendships, tell lies, put your finger prints all over the other guys new rifle or shotgun that they are showing off. Eat good food, and have a drink.

Fleener

Back