• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the reading here is unpleasant, put everyone you disagree with on ignore so you’ll never have to consider different viewpoints or opinions. Life’s simpler with less noise.
There are 5 or 6 that are on ignore. In this case, it's just old and bs. Most of the complainers will never step up. Money is cheap. Step up and do work. Then you'll see what petty children adults can be.

Among other things Oliver North had the cajones to demand an independent audit of the NRA. Wayne la Pierre accused North of extortion.
Oliver north got stiffed for taking public blame for Iran contra and again for not going along with bs with lapierre. Damned if you don’t, damned if you do.

I would like to know why Ollie North quit the NRA organization ?
I dunno. I met Ollie North once, along with G. Gordon Liddy (I would not want to have Liddy mad at me).

I think Lee get all too spooled up about stuff in orgs. Jump in and help yourself. No matter what you do, some arschloch will have something to be mad about. Truth.

Good lords. Just a circle jerk of crotchety heinous who will look at their smooth gun cabinets after they're taken away and wonder why. Most of you make reading here unpleasant. If you don't like it, get off your fat butt and help. Or shut your yap. Complain, complain, complain. I've been on boards and the biggest whiners are the ones who didn't do anything and wanted it all done for them.

As to Ethan Yazel, he's brought a breath of fresh air into this. I know, old geezers (older than me) don't watch YouTube, but he's helped a lot.
Well, this old geezer looks forward to the notification for when he drops a new video. His channel was one I watched extensively as I was deciding whether to get into this hobby. Glad I saw him before I saw this forum… jes sayin…

‘What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?’

Great question. I am reluctant to tell about my personal experience with joining the NMLRA, as deep down, I want to believe in their cause or mission, whatever it is.

Attempted to join the NMLRA a number of years ago. Forget where I got it, probably came with the paperwork from a muzzleloader purchase, but filled out an application card and mailed it in with a check. Check was quickly cashed. Then crickets. No correspondence or contact until I receive an invoice to renew my annual membership. Imagine it was by pure chance, but got someone on the telephone. Told they would need my membership number that I never received to help. Number, whatever it was, referenced on the invoice was no help. Oddly, it was suggested I could upgrade my phantom membership to a ‘lifetime’ membership over the phone, but other than that, the best way to resolve my problem was to either pay the invoice so I would have a membership number, or come dispute things in person with my paperwork. Explained it was about a 1600 mile round trip to Friendship, but still told that was the best way. I didn’t renew or upgrade my phantom membership, as I had already learned my lesson with the North American Hunting Club and Buckmasters hucksters. The NMLRA got my annual dues for one year with their only expense being the cost of sending a renewal invoice, no other postage costs, no cost to print a membership card, no magazine costs….. so I guess they won. I have put my money towards other organizations since.

Back to the OP. ‘What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?’ Maybe act like one. You only get one (or two) chances to make that first impression. Need to make it a good one.

And for what it is worth, to this day, I still direct folks towards the NMLRA organization when they have questions, in the hope that they have better luck than I did.

Well I was a member for many years I joined in the UK so was a member when I went to the MLAIC Internationals at Quantico . I took the trip to look up shops for parts ect Ide got to Galapolis with a gentleman who gave me a lift ,he let me phone Bill Large who says" Are you going to the Eastern R Vous at the Shawnee State Forest ". ''Crab' Fordney and the' Tomahawks' running it .Ide no togs so went ' Porky 'and meeting Phill Gravener' the Colonel' Who lent me a Capote so I could go to the feast .Then made my way to Onio back to see North Stars shop , bought barrels ect . so began near 17 years of doing events & R vous in the US Inc many 'Friendships 'I was a trader so it was in my commercial interests I' Did' any Reenactment events going F&I Civil War, even SCA I seemed to fit right in . When the NZ international team visited F Ship they made a fuss of them but never of me .Which I was quite happy about as I was deemed ' a local 'I even wrote for Smoke & Fire News .If not as Rudyard , Was even' commissioned' a Lt in the' Red hats /' Widowmakers' Lizards attempt to add a bit of exoticness I think .We put on serious Woods Walks , I served as 'Confusion' stepping over non existent wire, signaling to birds in the trees , any nonsense to spook the entrants all part of the shoots . Had far to much fun .Married at Fort Ti did the Stonegate Eastern but along came sprogs and put the lid on these trips ' Oh well I had a good run.We where in Albany when the 9/11 planes crashed I was looking at the first crash live then the second lammed into the other Tower . That event put the lid on all my once so easy travels .
Rudyard

,,what would it take to restore the NMLRA's credibility with the many folks who aren't locals?
Leadership.
That does something besides draw a wage and the perceived entitlement of the position.
But that's what the BOD is all about. Only the "elite" are BOD. The "elite" of the trade run's NMLRA with $$, and the NMLRA only cares about the friendship camp.
Local rep's try,, with no support,, because "we" members aren't part of local "elite" society.
If you set up a tent and sleep in it, and cook on a wood fire that's not for demonstration, your laughed at!,, By the leadership of the NMLRA.

‘What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?’

Great question. I am reluctant to tell about my personal experience with joining the NMLRA, as deep down, I want to believe in their cause or mission, whatever it is.

Attempted to join the NMLRA a number of years ago. Forget where I got it, probably came with the paperwork from a muzzleloader purchase, but filled out an application card and mailed it in with a check. Check was quickly cashed. Then crickets. No correspondence or contact until I receive an invoice to renew my annual membership. Imagine it was by pure chance, but got someone on the telephone. Told they would need my membership number that I never received to help. Number, whatever it was, referenced on the invoice was no help. Oddly, it was suggested I could upgrade my phantom membership to a ‘lifetime’ membership over the phone, but other than that, the best way to resolve my problem was to either pay the invoice so I would have a membership number, or come dispute things in person with my paperwork. Explained it was about a 1600 mile round trip to Friendship, but still told that was the best way. I didn’t renew or upgrade my phantom membership, as I had already learned my lesson with the North American Hunting Club and Buckmasters hucksters. The NMLRA got my annual dues for one year with their only expense being the cost of sending a renewal invoice, no other postage costs, no cost to print a membership card, no magazine costs….. so I guess they won. I have put my money towards other organizations since.

Back to the OP. ‘What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?’ Maybe act like one. You only get one (or two) chances to make that first impression. Need to make it a good one.

And for what it is worth, to this day, I still direct folks towards the NMLRA organization when they have questions, in the hope that they have better luck than I did.
They act like indiana is the capitol of all people muzzleloading and thats the shrine/the crown jewl of the grand poopa as they want you to make a monetary donation to inhance themselves and make you greatfull that you can without doing much for anywhere in the states except have a central role in targets that are all the same to record for territorials.. thats it.BUT NOW YOUR NRA MEMBERSHIP IS RECOGNIZED so you can participtate in the state territorials without the nmlra membership also. NAH NAH..Thats what i do.

I used to be an active shooter with the NMLRA. I shot with several different clubs, I shot at friendship and in the territorial matches. My age 73 and injuries to my back and right hand over the years limit my shooting now which is mostly done in back of my house. I met people at Friendship from all over the country and even some from Canada. I know over the years I was active they did things to make it easier for shooters all over the country. The Territorial shoots, They sponsored a western national and several rondevous. Don't understand how they sold out by creating matches for modern inlines. I began shooting at Friendship in the early 80's and the very first time I walked onto the range people were shooting inlines, sealed ignitions and full on target rifles so what's the big deal. Still go to Friendship occasionally just to walk around and look for bargains and the grounds have been greatly improved over the years.

I dunno. I met Ollie North once, along with G. Gordon Liddy (I would not want to have Liddy mad at me).

I think Lee get all too spooled up about stuff in orgs. Jump in and help yourself. No matter what you do, some arschloch will have something to be mad about. Truth.
I have Ollie's dad's high school yearbook, Oliver Clay North. Not his personal one, but one from the same year, that belonged to my mother who went to Upper Darby High School (PA) 1933. Oliver's photo is there and he seemed quite distinguished, as many grads were at that time of fine dressing & grooming.

I'd think the vendor's rows are a big draw. Every organization needs a 'capitol' or 'headquarters' and Indiana is it for the NMLRA. I've never been, but enjoy the magazine.
Commercial row is miniscule compared to the way it was before the late 90's. The internet killed commercial row.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Plus cost of everything, gas, lodging, the 'shutdown' that killed many things in addition to the virus victims.
I'm there teaching a couple times a year during non shoot times. It's actually a much better place than it used to be. The grounds are well kept, the bathrooms are improved and there have been many other improvements.
I'd like to go back for the shoots, but they priced me right out of attendance, too expensive for me. That's not the NMLRA's fault, it's my fault for not making more money.

My wife and I go to 10/15 rendezvous a year. We have an oscillating auto thrower so put on the shotgun events at a few of them. We live out west and the only time we see/hear anything about the NMLRA is on this forum. Perhaps this is only an eastern thing.

The NMLRA has tried to expand activities to other areas. Few understand the amount of time and effort it takes to find an appropriate facility, deal with all the legal issues, recruit volunteers and pay required fees up front to put on an event of any scale. I was involved in the committee that helped organize the Western Nationals at Ben Avery Range in Phoenix many years ago. Most of those folks look like me - grey hair (if they still have some) and fading eyesight (hooray for cataract surgery. This issue affects many activities that we enjoy but that the younger generations don't. Have you tried to buy a car or truck with a stick shoft lately? The Western did well for a few years but the great recession killed it financially due to a drop in participation. It still goes on under another structure, albeit smaller in size. Covid also killed a lot of activities that require travel. Most states have field reps that can give you information on local shoots and rendezvous. Many of the local organizations and events are also struggling with changing interests and the demon of inflation, not to mention increasing government interference in the hunting and shooting sports of all kinds. Sometimes reality sucks. There will always be Monday morning quarterbacks who criticize on the day after, often never having played the game. Teddy Roosevelt said it best with his quote that starts "Its not the critic who counts...." . I don't remember who said it but the solution is "get involved or get out of the way". Maybe suggest some good ideas that would be cost effective?

@Absoroka, as I wrote back in December:
Imagine if, for example, the other local rifle-building classes got even a tenth as much publicity as the Western Kentucky classes did at start up. But the perception is that since they aren’t even remotely close to the Friendship area, they have no chance for support. I don’t know how correct that perception is; I do know that the four years we requested info on how to get support in the form of publicity for the local gunbuilding seminar, we never received a response.
And:
And why, in the day of online attendance at everything from court hearings to kindergarten graduations, is traveling to Friendship Indiana the only way to attend BOD and membership meetings? Why do members have to be there in person to vote on amendments to the Bylaws, or apparently, to read the Minutes of the BOD meetings, since those are no longer being posted online for the membership? Can't the BOD find a 10 year old kid to set it up?

The NMLRA and the BOD do such a poor job communicating what goes on at the meetings that they may as well be a local club. This isn't helped by the BOD's apparent preference for going into an "executive session" every time someone rattles two sheets of paper together. And until they act like they actually care about the membership (outside the Friendship Mafia and their hangers-on), the org will continue to decline in membership and influence. And maybe that is the plan.

So many people have tried to get involved over the years, only to get no response from Friendship, or be ignored by Friendship, that it is hard to find people willing to try again.

I tried to put together a Territorial for this year: I could get use of a range (with camping, restrooms, etc on-site), support from the local community (including the offer of funding from the Chamber of Commerce to help with expenses, and a live of credit if needed from a local bank--all volunteered by the community), I just couldn't find enough people who hadn't been repeatedly burned by the NMLRA to run the dang shoot!

More than 20 years ago, a member of the Rendezvous Committee was whining on a mailing list about not being able to find volunteers. I asked around and came up with a dozen NMLRA-trained ROs (including 3 EMTs), an accountant, and a few others who were willing to volunteer: help with paperwork, show up early to help set up, volunteer through the event, clean and stock outhouses, stay after to help clean up, whatever. When the offer was made, his response was (not a direct quote but his choice of words): how 'bout you let the Big Boys deal with this, and you and your friends just enjoy the event.

The NMLRA has tried to expand activities to other areas. Few understand the amount of time and effort it takes to find an appropriate facility, deal with all the legal issues, recruit volunteers and pay required fees up front to put on an event of any scale. <snip> I don't remember who said it but the solution is "get involved or get out of the way". Maybe suggest some good ideas that would be cost effective?
Many of us have tried that, over and over, only to be ignored or told our input wasn't welcome.

"Get involved"? Last February, I bought a new rifle primarily for the purpose of teaching. So far, more than 100 people have fired that rifle as their "first flintlock" (and in many cases, their first firearm). I provided the rifle, ammunition, targets, instructional materials. I covered travel expenses. Cost effective enough for you? The NMLRA couldn't even be bothered to send me the membership applications I requested in February. They didn't even bother to respond in any way.

Did you see Yazel's plea for volunteers for Field Reps in the latest issue of MB? Why would anyone think they'd be supported as Field Reps when they can't get any information out of the organization as a member?

None of us are trying to destroy the NMLRA. We don't hate the members of the BOD, past and present. We aren't asking for anything other than, as members of the NMLRA, the same consideration and communication afforded to the locals and the Friendship crowd.

None of us are trying to destroy the NMLRA. We don't hate the members of the BOD, past and present. We aren't asking for anything other than, as members of the NMLRA, the same consideration and communication afforded to the locals and the Friendship crowd.
As an outsider, I've been waiting on that for nearly 50 years, and I'm convinced it will never happen.

Don't get me wrong, as a long-time attender at the two big events, I've had many great times and gained quite a few friends, however, as one of them from Alabama has said "it's like watching your old dog die" with the way things have been digressing of late.

I was in attendance at the membership meeting in September where I'm estimating there was, besides the BOD, maybe only 75 members present. There were several bylaw changes voted on by the membership present and a significant number of members voted them in as a package deal. One of the changes I personally was quite uncomfortable with, hence I was a nay. This particular bylaw I felt gave the locals way too much power and solidified, at least in my mind, an even more gelled "tri-state gun club" as the NMLRA has always been referred to, somewhat jokingly, by us outsiders.

On a final note, at the BOD's meeting Mr. Yazel continues as president, and I heard from reliable sources that several of the board resigned, for what reason I don't know. No doubt to be replaced by local members.

Oh well...I'm going have to quit paying attention to the politics up there and just continue my visits and enjoy friends and shooting with them...at least as long as I'm able.

Back