• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Friendship IN 2022

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning,
Since I couldn’t sleep last night I spent some time looking into Friendship IN spring event. I have never gone before. That said it is only about 3 hours from where I live so thinking of going this year! I would really like to handle some English Fowlers, English trade guns and Carolina type G trade guns. That is where I’m leaning for my next build. Never having handled one I would like to before investing that much money.
Here’s my question to you that go:
1: as a first time visitor would you plan on taking your gun to shot?
2: I know thier are matches and one must be a member to compete. I am not a member. So is all the shooting for member only?
3: can you drive up for the day and see it all? Or is it better to camp for a night?
4: Are they pretty family friendly? My 13 and 11 year old sons might read me the riot act if I went without them! If they came could they shot?
5: because I’ve not seen it so far do any of you know what the exact dates are this year?

Thanks all
You can join when you get there.

This will be my first time at the fall nationals…well, any nationals. Is there an opportunity to shoot just for fun on a range there, or do you HAVE to compete?
You have to be a registered member which is about $50 then you have to also register at the event which is $50. Then caping fees if your staying over night. The targets you also pay for. They range from a dollar to a couple bucks each.

You have to be a registered member which is about $50 then you have to also register at the event which is $50. Then caping fees if your staying over night. The targets you also pay for. They range from a dollar to a couple bucks each.
Yeah, I’m a member. I’ve seen all that, but just wondering if there’s a range for just shooting without being in a competition.

Yeah, I’m a member. I’ve seen all that, but just wondering if there’s a range for just shooting without being in a competition.
Not that I’m aware of, but I’ve only been once. My understanding was if you just wanted to shoot for fun buy a bunch of the cheapest targets you can. Only turn in one of them at the end of day the day. I was mostly loading for my two boys!

Yes, behind the Block House that was a range with metal targets…

3EC99D9A-D75A-423D-AA61-EF73DB727268.jpeg

AE7DEFD7-69A5-4D72-B60E-24DED43D4DCF.jpeg

I think your still are required too pay the shooters fee… on top of your Membership dues, which you have covered already.👍

This will be my first time at the fall nationals…well, any nationals. Is there an opportunity to shoot just for fun on a range there, or do you HAVE to compete?
You will have to be a member to shoot. You can join with an electronic magazine for $35.
You will have to pay the entry fee. If you pre register it's $45. $50 if you register at the shoot.
You don't have to compete. You can buy practice targets for $1.00 each and shoot all day if you like.
I hope that helps. Please ask more questions or PM me if I can help.
Hope to see you there!

I have time to decide if I want to shoot…. Will probably go up Friday afternoon and stay throught Sunday afternoon. That way I can capitalize on the venders. I might even dig out my A frame tent and fly for camping!! The boys would like that!
If I have sufficient funds I may look to buy a Fowler of some kind. Cash flow from my knife making is my spending money. So we’ll see how many blades I can sell before then. I would like a kit. I have been going back and forth between a one of Chambers Fowler or a Caywood trade gun. As I mentioned in the first post I’ve not been able to handle any of these flint locks before. So I hope to see what fits and feels nice. I’m concerned about the looooong barrels!:)

I’ll be a first timer in Sept., too. Got my campsite reserved, heading there Thurs afternoon before the event starts and staying thru Sunday. Hopefully plenty of time to peruse the vendors and take in some flea market. Partake in a little shooting too, I really need to get my .36 dialed in beforehand.
Looking forward to it.

Good morning,
Since I couldn’t sleep last night I spent some time looking into Friendship IN spring event. I have never gone before. That said it is only about 3 hours from where I live so thinking of going this year! I would really like to handle some English Fowlers, English trade guns and Carolina type G trade guns. That is where I’m leaning for my next build. Never having handled one I would like to before investing that much money.
2: I know thier are matches and one must be a member to compete. I am not a member. So is all the shooting for member only?
3: can you drive up for the day and see it all? Or is it better to camp for a night?
4: Are they pretty family friendly? My 13 and 11 year old sons might read me the riot act if I went without them! If they came could they shot?
5: because I’ve not seen it so far do any of you know what the exact dates are this year?

Thanks all

You can join on the spot when you get there.
There may not be any cell phone reception, if that is important to you.
Or at least there was none when I used to go back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
That could be a blessing.
Leave your gun at home, at least for the first trip or two.
Keeping an eye on two kids and trying to shoot on busy ranges with courses of fire you are not familiar with is too much.
Go, watch, listen, ask a few questions here and there.
DO NOT ENGAGE SHOOTERS ON THE FIRING LINE IN CONVERSATION. PERIOD.
Too much of a distraction. Could cause the shooter to forget a step in the loading process.

Last edited:
You can join on the spot when you get there.
There may not be any cell phone reception, if that is important to you.
Or at least there was none when I used to go back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
That could be a blessing.
Leave your gun at home, at least for the first trip or two.
Keeping an eye on two kids and trying to shoot on busy ranges with courses of fire you are not familiar with is too much.
Go, watch, listen, ask a few questions here and there.
DO NOT ENGAGE SHOOTERS ON THE FIRING LINE IN CONVERSATION. PERIOD.
Too much of a distraction. Could cause the shooter to forget a step in the loading process.
I did take my gun in June. Mostly I loaded for my boys!! We had a great time all around! We enjoyed connecting with other forum members. Cell reception still is terrible. I’m pretty sure my boys spent more money than I
did!! We are excited to be back next month!

I did take my gun in June. Mostly I loaded for my boys!! We had a great time all around! We enjoyed connecting with other forum members. Cell reception still is terrible. I’m pretty sure my boys spent more money than I
did!! We are excited to be back next month!
Glad it all worked out!

There is a new cell tower on the NMLRA property up the hill South of the shooting ranges. I have US Cell and if I reboot my phone, it will ping off that tower.

Bring your gun and shoot the woods walk at a minimum.

Fleener

Good morning,

Thanks all
I'd just visit and become familiar with all the in's and out's before trying to actually shoot. The NMLRA is very family friendly, they're always trying to recruit new young people into the hobby. Check their website for more info. Good luck! Yes, shooters are members only for legal and practical reasons.

Latest posts

Back