• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously. We frequently get these gushing posts from newbies who don't know the history of problems folks have with the NMLRA, and they always seem to degenerate into NMLRA bashing. (Not that I'm saying NMLRA-bashing is undeserved.) Let's flip that around: what would it take to restore the NMLRA's credibility with the many folks who aren't locals?

The NMLRA is a 501(c)(3) that the IRS categorizes as a "Fishing and Hunting Club". No surprises there. The NMLRA's Mission statement reads, "TO PROMOTE, SUPPORT, NUTURE AND PRESERVE NMLRA'S AND OUR NATION'S HERTIAGE IN THE SUPPORT OF MUZZLE LOADING THROUGH RECREATIONAL, EDUCATIONAL, HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL VENUES SUCH AS MATCH COMPETITION, HUNTING, GUN MAKING, SAFETY AND HISTORICAL REINACTMENTS". (When writing something like that, maybe they should have someone proofread it. People notice things like all the spelling problems, and that does affect community perception.)

As far as I can tell, the NMLRA has never released the results of an independent audit or financial review. I can't tell if it a review like that has ever been done. That doesn't mean there hasn't been such an audit or review, or that there has been malfeasance, but it doesn't mean there hasn't been.

It becomes more of a concern when you realize that if the NMLRA has a conflict of interest policy, they won't release it. When members are seeing the children of BOD members get hired by the NMLRA, or receive scholarships, this is a problem. And who knows if the NMLRA has any kind of document retention policy that could be used to find answers to questions like this?

Those things matter when folks are considering donating money or leaving a bequest to a charity. The NMLRA is trying to get a $1,000,000 endowment. As national organizations go, this is small potatoes (I know of a couple of larger local rifle clubs that have that much, and let’s not even consider some of the trapshooting organizations). The odds of the NMLRA reaching this goal would improve if they had policies and practices like these in place (like other reputable charitable organizations do). I know of a coupe of guys who just made $50K donations to local rifle clubs and trap clubs, but you can bet those organizations had their ducks in a row first.

One complaint I've heard about the NMLRA that I found rather amusing is regarding the practice of selling "bricks" with a name on it to pay for various improvements to the facilities. I've heard people say they'd donate money, but the only way to do so is to pay for a brick that they'll never travel to see. Yeah, I don't get it . . . but it points to the major complaint people seem to have: for the most part the NMLRA acts as a local organization, not a national organization. Everything is focused on Friendship, and on drawing people to Friendship.

The majority of current (and probably past) members don't attend the matches there, and maybe never will. (For example, with 13,000 members they only get 1,000 people to attend the matches at Friendship.) The NMLRA response has always been that folks who want something local should work to set it up locally, which isn't a bad response. . . except for the perception that the NMLRA has a pattern of taking things over, drawing out all the funds, and ending whatever the local event was. There may be legitimate reasons for this, but the NMLRA doesn't publicly provide timely answers explaining why things end. There's no excuse for it to take 2 years to get an answer as to why the NMLRA decided to end a program, but the NMLRA has never been good at communicating with members.

It would help if instead there was a public policy that laid out what it took to get NMLRA support for a local activity (e.g., a match or class): What that support would be, how long the support would last and what the criteria would be for ending that support if it didn’t go well, and what the NMLRA would get in return. Imagine that: the national organization actually working with and supporting local groups. Wouldn’t that be great?

Imagine if, for example, the other local rifle-building classes got even a tenth as much publicity as the Western Kentucky classes did at start up. But the perception is that since they aren’t even remotely close to the Friendship area, they have no chance for support. I don’t know how correct that perception is; I do know that the four years we requested info on how to get support in the form of publicity for the local gunbuilding seminar, we never received a response.

The NMLRA has a terrible reputation for ignoring the needs of members in order to focus on improving the range facilities. How much has been spent on improving the shooting facilities over the last 30 years while the organization ignored Federal law in the form of the ADA? From the outside, it looks like there is no excuse other than deliberate action to explain why the entire facility isn’t ADA compliant—and that is supported by public statements made by BOD members over the years.

We’ve heard here from Mr. Fleener that he can’t do anything about what has been done in the past, he’s focused on things now and in the future. he has a good point, but given the NMLRA’s history on this, if the BOD wants to have any credibility going forward they need to appoint an ADA compliance officer.

And why, in the day of online attendance at everything from court hearings to kindergarten graduations, is traveling to Friendship Indiana the only way to attend BOD and membership meetings? Why do members have to be there in person to vote on amendments to the Bylaws, or apparently, to read the Minutes of the BOD meetings, since those are no longer being posted online for the membership? Can't the BOD find a 10 year old kid to set it up?
Old thread, but, I joined NMLRA this past spring. Been shooting my rocklock since ‘74. So not a newbie. I live in MD and as said above, everything is focused on Friendship. At 71, i cant drive 1/3 of the way cross this beautiful country to sleep in a tent. They should promote more local activities. Now, there are a few local clubs as listed in the back pages of MuzzleBlast but they all require a hefty join fee, and a membership in NRA, and I refuse to give them embezzling crooks a dime. So I shoot at a state range for $25 a year and will let my NMLRA not reup come spring. The juice aint worth the squeeze.
#158843.

Last edited:
Old thread, but, I joined NMLRA this past spring. Been shooting my rocklock since ‘74. So not a newbie. I live in MD and as said above, everything is focused on Friendship. At 71, i cant drive 1/3 of the way cross this beautiful country to sleep in a tent. They should promote more local activities. Now, there are a few local clubs as listed in the back pages of MuzzleBlast but they all require a hefty join fee, and a membership in NRA, and I refuse to give them embezzling crooks a dime. So I shoot at a state range for $25 a year and will let my NMLRA not reup come spring. The juice aint worth the squeeze.
#158843.
Just my opinion but all gun owners should be members of the NRA because they do fight for our gun rights and no other group does it like they do . Also could you explain what the NRA has done that is so bad because I have read where other people have said similar things . So maybe I am missing something and would like to hear from someone that knows .

Just my opinion but all gun owners should be members of the NRA because they do fight for our gun rights and no other group does it like they do . Also could you explain what the NRA has done that is so bad because I have read where other people have said similar things . So maybe I am missing something and would like to hear from someone that knows .

You're kidding, right? You haven't seen anything bad out of the NRA?

I'm a member, but only because I have to be. La Pierre makes Santos look like a saint.

You're kidding, right? You haven't seen anything bad out of the NRA?

I'm a member, but only because I have to be. La Pierre makes Santos look like a saint.
Tell me more I would like to know some examples but so far no one can give any

Don’t know much about NMLRA, other than we tried to get a rep to come to a club meeting for a few years but finally gave up. He never came. Live up here in far Northern California-South Or. area, my wife and I have gone to 15 local rendezvous a year of 150+ shooters. I do know the NMLRA had a large shoot in AZ years ago which had problems with how much money they took away, preventing longevity of the shoot. Since then we have had the PPR (Pacific Primitive Rendezvous) which rotates yearly between the eleven western states and usually has 900+ primitive shooters. Again don’t understand why the NMLRA doesn’t/can’t/will not come out west. My wife and I are members of six BP clubs which are also affiliated with the NRA for reduced rates on insurance and possible grants. Like the one of $5,000 to redo/renew berms. Another was $3,000 to fix a road entrance to the shoot site. Out west we have zero knowledge of the NMLRA events, support, no advertising etc, To us out west, we figure it’s only an eastern club.
Doc,

#158843.
Captain Vane Those embezzling crooks gave a $5.000 grant for renew/rebuilt our berms someone else $3,000 for better entry site work. Also reduced insurance rates help many BP clubs. All of this including protecting my unmentionable rights.
Doc,

Captain Vane Those embezzling crooks gave a $5.000 grant for renew/rebuilt our berms someone else $3,000 for better entry site work. Also reduced insurance rates help many BP clubs. All of this including protecting my unmentionable rights.
Doc,
I will not research for you, do your own research, google WLP embezzlement. If you want to feed those crooks your money fine, but don’t question my choice not too.

As an outsider, I've been waiting on that for nearly 50 years, and I'm convinced it will never happen.

Don't get me wrong, as a long-time attender at the two big events, I've had many great times and gained quite a few friends, however, as one of them from Alabama has said "it's like watching your old dog die" with the way things have been digressing of late.

I was in attendance at the membership meeting in September where I'm estimating there was, besides the BOD, maybe only 75 members present. There were several bylaw changes voted on by the membership present and a significant number of members voted them in as a package deal. One of the changes I personally was quite uncomfortable with, hence I was a nay. This particular bylaw I felt gave the locals way too much power and solidified, at least in my mind, an even more gelled "tri-state gun club" as the NMLRA has always been referred to, somewhat jokingly, by us outsiders.

On a final note, at the BOD's meeting Mr. Yazel continues as president, and I heard from reliable sources that several of the board resigned, for what reason I don't know. No doubt to be replaced by local members.

Oh well...I'm going have to quit paying attention to the politics up there and just continue my visits and enjoy friends and shooting with them...at least as long as I'm able.
For a 501C to violate Robert Rules of Order which the BOD did. The State can apparently rescind they’re tax exempt status if they are notified and wish to do so.
Doc

I was a member for a long time I gave up after the in lines but this was I suppose a perceived need. I never got into the politics but the gate man who delt in cash was deemed suspect . To me Friendship was a place to trade buy & sell and have fun with the patrons & traders .Seminars & show guns in the Gunmakers Hall, Might do a woods walk that was it .Followed most Rendezvous' & mix of all but kept out of politics . I was once down as a' NZ field rep' no one sought me. I did two shoots & a Turkey shoot some times .
The ' OHtuckyana ' was often criticized though many really worthy persons like Erik Bye & Jim Fulmer to name but two are & have been eminently worthy as Boush ways & coordinators . I expect to be greeting the visiting NMLRA official nr Blenheim soon he's going to stop at a shoot Ile be going over with the NZ field rep though I am not a member .
Rudyard

I used to be an nra member but the absolute lunacy (lobbying against any…ANY new law however reasonable such as background checks, ted flag laws, lock requirements) of nra leadership sent me off. LaPierre is interested in personal power ( he can walk into any republican lawmakers office to be greeted with a coffee and a smile) and personal wealth ( 10,000 dollar suits paid for with nra funds, absurd first class/5star travel expenses paid for with nra funds. What the nra has been doing is relegate all shooting sports to the back seat while playing power politics that alienates everyone on the center or left. (If you are a national organization thats not pushing very, very hard to involve new people, you are, inevitably doomed.) I had high hopes for Oliver North but he likely got a good look at the hull of this particular titanic and got off the boat. As with everything, getting young people out of the house, off the video games , putting down the phone is a hell of a long row to hoe but the nra isn’t even trying.

I used to be an nra member but the absolute lunacy (lobbying against any…ANY new law however reasonable such as background checks, ted flag laws, lock requirements) of nra leadership sent me off. LaPierre is interested in personal power ( he can walk into any republican lawmakers office to be greeted with a coffee and a smile) and personal wealth ( 10,000 dollar suits paid for with nra funds, absurd first class/5star travel expenses paid for with nra funds. What the nra has been doing is relegate all shooting sports to the back seat while playing power politics that alienates everyone on the center or left. (If you are a national organization thats not pushing very, very hard to involve new people, you are, inevitably doomed.) I had high hopes for Oliver North but he likely got a good look at the hull of this particular titanic and got off the boat. As with everything, getting young people out of the house, off the video games , putting down the phone is a hell of a long row to hoe but the nra isn’t even trying.
Thx for listing your concerns and I do understand all that and sounds like we need new leadership or another organization

If all the internet BP forum people were to have a monthly shoot in their area maybe , I say maybe with great scepticism we'd see more local support.

Here in Georgia their are 4 MLer clubs. All are 3-4 hours apart.
In NY I could shoot every weekend at one of 40 clubs.
Yes many of those were 2-3 hour drive. But you could camp the weekend for FREE.
GUYS WOULD POST ON THE INTERNET ALL THIS GREAT MUZZLELOADER SHOOTING THEY WERE DOING IN NY.
There'd be a shoot in the same town they lived in or the same county I'd say hey we're having to shoot this weekend come on down and shoot.

They either had an excuse why they couldn't make it or you wouldn't see them post anything on the internet for 2 weeks.

Here in this thread is the same suggestions as I've read and heard for 45+ years.
IMPO
You want something done,do it!
When I moved to GA people asked me to step up be a big deal. I REFUSED. I was tired of using my $ time and effort to promote FUDDS.

Bill
Past President
NYSMLA
Williamson Conservation & Sporting Club
NY Region 8 Hunter Ed Assn
SCOPEny Director

I agree with most of your post, but many proposed gun laws are 'camel's nose under the tent' attempts to limit legal ownership. I, too, don't like the life-time permanent-til-passing hold on the office that Wayno has. Sorta like life-time dictators and senators, if you get my drift.

LaPierre's embezzlement and misuse of funds.

GOA is where my support goes.
FPC for me. Both are worthy of membership.

Back to the original topic, I’m not sure muzzleloading is popular enough to support a ”national” organization.

Michigan has a state association, as do other states. That might be sustainable.

I agree with most of your post, but many proposed gun laws are 'camel's nose under the tent' attempts to limit legal ownership. I, too, don't like the life-time permanent-til-passing hold on the office that Wayno has. Sorta like life-time dictators and senators, if you get my drift.

Latest posts

Back