• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Upsetting Dealers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOEX simply stepped up and supplied the "core headquarters" event of the season with powder very shortly after taking over a defunct company; they should receive a Blue Ribbon and pat on the back for their stellar business performance in what is a difficult field of production.👍
Is there a way we can give them a pat on the back AND boycott them at the same time? LOL 🤣 ;)

My local gun/blackpowder shop just recieved their order of Goex. 2 3 and a couple pounds of 4f
The price they have on it though is $40 per pound. They posted this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9860.jpeg
    IMG_9860.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 0
Is there a way we can give them a pat on the back AND boycott them at the same time? LOL 🤣 ;)
Perhaps it's the issue of the dealers wanting first dibs since there has been a long dry spell for goex maybe the dealers were or are thinking we get it first run the price through the roof and they will buy it, but now goex has kind of set the going price and we cannot scalp the customer so to speak.

Perhaps it's the issue of the dealers wanting first dibs since there has been a long dry spell for goex maybe the dealers were or are thinking we get it first run the price through the roof and they will buy it, but now goex has kind of set the going price and we cannot scalp the customer so to speak. Refrence the previous post about price.

My local gun/blackpowder shop just recieved their order of Goex. 2 3 and a couple pounds of 4f
there is your answer as to the shops complaining about the sale at NMLRA , my advice is don't buy it there period. Let this bozo set on it.

The idea that $24 is underselling dealers is a little concerning.

Though I have to admit I panicked when they closed and bought a can for $30 from a local store, but that's not something I want to do in the near future.

Serious Question - Does it take a lot of time and effort to go from Goex to Swiss or Schutzen ? Are they that much different in velocity? I like the other two because they are supposedly cleaner, but that may be urban myth. . . I think their charcoal source is different from Goex.

"Serious Question - Does it take a lot of time and effort to go from Goex to Swiss or Schutzen ? Are they that much different in velocity? I like the other two because they are supposedly cleaner, but that may be urban myth. . . I think their charcoal source is different from Goex."

My recent experience is that there is a difference. Swiss seems to be more powerful and burns cleaner. In my favorite match rifle, I tried to replace my 70 grains of GOEX 3F load with the same of Swiss. Did not group as well as the GOEX. I suppose I could work up loads to find that rifle's "sweet spot" as I did when I first shot it with GOEX, but for now it will remain my GOEX gun.

I just put into service a new .45 cap lock and tried Swiss 3F in it. 40 grains under a patched round ball cut a one inch cluster at 25 yards, and chronographed at 1750 FPS. 35 and 45 grains produced larger groups. So that gun in now my Swiss gun.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the NMLRA does not buy directly from GOEX, they purchased, as they always have, through the local distributor, Deer Creek Products- who is listed as a GOEX and Swiss/Schuetzen master distributor.

I'm working on an article on it now, but was able to speak with reps from GOEX last weekend. They indicated that their goal now is to fullfill all distributor orders, ideally by the end of the year. From the way the reps talked, most, if not all distributors had orders in and production was ongoing to fullfill them. They've produced "tens of thousands of pounds of powder" while testing the updates to the facility and "see no issue in fullfilling demand".

It looks like their strategy to have powder at the major fall events, with plans to have new production powder at the NSSA Fall shoot. There were a lot of GOEX hats and being worn at Friendship.

GOEX was $24 at the NMLRA, with Schuetzen at $20lbs. Competitive shooters were using the new production GOEX on the firing line and reported they noticed no change from "old GOEX". I didn't get to talk to Deer Creek Products about what the price of powder will be at their shop 40 miles from the NMLRA, but I'm sure folks will know when Jim gets back to his shop after the NMLRA shoot.

I'm not sponsored or paid by any powder company. I bought 3lbs of new production GOEX this round as I have a healthy supply of Swiss and Schuetzen.

I was able to ask questions about the military contracts, production updates and a few other things that I hope to have organized by early next week.

Thanks for setting things straight…

I wasn’t sure if Jim wanted that cat out of the bag or not.

Since the NMLRA buys their powder from Deer Creek, that would explain why Jim & Company helped the NMLRA unload 1,800 lbs of powder..🤣👍

86ABD545-148E-478F-AC7C-B6EDFCE70C9D.jpeg

👍😎

Does it come with a dollop of petroleum jelly?

Quite the Made in America premium.

100%

At least there'll be plenty of it on the shelves...

The idea that $24 is underselling dealers is a little concerning.

Though I have to admit I panicked when they closed and bought a can for $30 from a local store, but that's not something I want to do in the near future.

Serious Question - Does it take a lot of time and effort to go from Goex to Swiss or Schutzen ? Are they that much different in velocity? I like the other two because they are supposedly cleaner, but that may be urban myth. . . I think their charcoal source is different from Goex.
I bought some schuetzen this year as I was down to one pound of Goex. I shot them both with same loads. There was no difference in groups or anything EXCEPT I found schuetzen to shoot cleaner. I don’t get the crud ring with schuetzen that I did with Goex. Still have that pound of Goex. I’ve gone through about 3 pounds of schuetzen since.

Have not shot Swiss yet.
Will be picking up some American Black Powder Friday. I’m going past the shop that makes it on Friday. Will give the forum a report after I try it.

Maybe so but they are a small shop. And caters to the local blackpowder community. I’m sure they will have no issues selling what they have.
LGS around the corner used to carry Goex when it was available, though not much. Asked if they could get Swiss for me and they suggested I go online and buy it. They were pretty much shocked when they found I out I ordered 25 pounds. Claimed they couldn’t sell that much blackpowder in a year. I understand completely that they must stock and sell what their customers want, and realistically, supplies for traditional muzzleloaders are not hot sellers. The economy of scale advantage just does not apply to the small shop.

The powder sales at Friendship are not a huge concern. Most of the black powder shooters have never been to Friendship. I have only been there three times in my life. For me, it's a 14 hour road trip, not like it's right around the corner. At least now, the Goex is making its way out to the major distributors. Be happy that the Estes plant is up and running. Once everyone can obtain so powder, maybe the cost will drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back