• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Upsetting Dealers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see nothing wrong with them selling powder there and can see them making a we’re back statement there as that is probably the largest gathering of their customer base. I would expect that the large distributors like graf will probably be selling it even cheaper and your local shop if you are lucky enough to have one that sells it will be selling it substantially higher per pound. Just like things always have been.

Or B(ass) Pro selling it for $35+ a pound.

Yes...I watched lots of shooters buy Goex in huge quantities last weekend at Friendship.
Goex is $24.00 per pound there.
Schuetzen is $20.00 a pound...still a much better deal.

They can keep the Goex, I'll stick with Schuetzen.
Schutzen WANO powders floor sweepings sucks!! That's why it cheaper.
Whenever I win a pound I give it away.

Schutzen WANO powders floor sweepings sucks!! That's why it cheaper.
I was tired of taking a long time to clean my guns using Goex. Nasty powder.
That's one reason why I quit using it.
I didn't see any better performance either.
I'd gladly trade you pound for pound all the Goex I have for Schuetzen.

I was tired of taking a long time to clean my guns using Goex. Nasty powder.
That's one reason why I quit using it.
I didn't see any better performance either.
I'd gladly trade you pound for pound all the Goex I have for Schuetzen.
Mark, I could hardly finish a woods walk shooting Schutzen WANO. Had to run a brush down the bore to clean the crud out.
I've shot about every black powder & sub manufactured in the last 53 years.
Also been selling reloading supplies since 1985. I don't sell what will cause my customers problems.
Blackpowderbill FFL

I bought 6 3f's while I was there, the owner Karl K was hanging out at the magazine to greet folks and thank them for their purchase. I was literally down to my last horn full of Goex and dreading the transition to Swiss or Schuetzen in my rifles, I do use Schuetzen in my trade gun. At $24 a pound for Goex I'm sure the NMLRA was keeping a few dollars on each can.
There's nothing wrong with making a little profit. If they lose money or just break even, they will eventually stop doing it at all.

That's part of the problem. People don't want to pay market value for anything. I work in a gun store, and we don't stock some ammunition because people won't buy it at the current price.
I’d love to be able to buy black powder locally but I don’t know of anyone in VT that sells it. Local shops are competing with online retailers and while most people are willing to pay a little more to get it locally, they aren’t willing to pay much more when they can just order it themselves. That’s especially true of ammunition where there’s no HazMat charges.

That's part of the problem. People don't want to pay market value for anything. I work in a gun store, and we don't stock some ammunition because people won't buy it at the current price.
The problem is not the going market prices on items, its the sellers setting sky hhigh prices beyond the market value to turn a quick dime

The idea that $24 is underselling dealers is a little concerning.

Though I have to admit I panicked when they closed and bought a can for $30 from a local store, but that's not something I want to do in the near future.

Serious Question - Does it take a lot of time and effort to go from Goex to Swiss or Schutzen ? Are they that much different in velocity? I like the other two because they are supposedly cleaner, but that may be urban myth. . . I think their charcoal source is different from Goex.
I have been a Goex shooter in N-SSA competition for over a decade now.

Once I was unable to get Goex, and bought Sheutzen instead. It was noticeably dirtier in my muzzle loading arms. So much so that I almost gave up on using the Moose Wilkinson bullet. This bullet has very little lube-carrying capability. I started my load workups with this bullet with Scheutzen. After about 3 shots it got crunchy going down the bore.

Got more Goex, and discovered I could load and shoot it indefinitely, and it is my primary competition bullet in my Enfield now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back