• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General Altoid's Snuff Boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was burning the paint off a couple Altoids tins and the fumes got me in a silly frame of mind. Thinking where a hunter of the 1790's may have come up with similar items - the thought of a man who had served in the Revolution and had an opportunity to ransack a supply cart sending items from home to some poor British General.

Yes, pure fantasy, though a similar item in silver could get back to the Georgian Era of the 1830's.

Anyway, the description "General Altoid's Snuff Boxes" struck me as funny and I think I like the idea.

Altoids from the US now have a raised lettering stamped into the lid. I unstamped it by putting one ball-peen hammer face up in a vice and setting the lettering over it and tapping it smooth with a second. Then I set the lid face down on a pine block and gently tapped it a gozillion times with the curved nose of the hammer. This worked nicely to "lift" a curve into the lid (and work a matching domed base on the smaller box) and make them look a lot less Altoidish. Before the peening I had steel brushed them (drill mounted brush) as close to bare metal as possible (MAN, they use a good paint) and then used a propane torch to heat the metal orange hot and tone the steel plus char the paint off. Then another brushing. Finally, I wiped them well with Barricade.

Here is the result (along with a .66 cal ball block).

HPIM2710.jpg

HPIM2711.jpg

HPIM2713.jpg

Here you can see the domed smaller tin. The lid was domed originally but the base concave - I turned it out. The lid used to have the raised lettering and it's now pretty well camoflaged.

HPIM2714.jpg

These are my hunting accessories for my 16 bore fowler. Enough fixins for 12 shot loads and four punkin' balls. I'll also have a small priming flask and a roll of cotton patching. Bare essentials to shoot & clean the gun.

Everything in its place and in your pocket. I like this. As you said in an earlier post, nothing to hang up in the thick stuff.

Looks good Stumpy, I use them myself they are quite handy. I also use the Bert's Bee Balm tin for greased patches about the size of a cap tin but they have a screw on lid that is a lot easier to get open.

Great idea! I have an older tin, without raised lettering I use. I also have several with raised lettering I will now find a use for. Thanks.

I did something very similar, but I put the fully painted tin over the coals in my Weber grill for a while until the paint was quite burned off. Then I took it to the sink and used the green scouring pad and soap to thoroughly polish off all remaining residue. It took on a dull pewter color and had a hint of brushed finish.

Then I tightened up the hinges just a bit with needle-nose pliars. I'm not sure what the metal is, but they don't seem to rust at all.

Some of the tins have raised letter and some don't. We hammered ours face down on the concrete floor with a flat hammer, yet the lids still took on a nice dome shape.

I have CDO. It's like OCD but the letters are arranged alphabetically, as they should be. :rotf:

When you have a memory like mine you have to have everything in one spot where you can find it. I keep a bag and horn for each rifle and gun.

Ahhh, the smell of scorching Altoids paint. I rate it right up there with sewer gas and burnt hair. :barf:

I used to buy Altoids just for the tin, dump the mints in the trash.

Since I now have a bead blasting cabinet I blast the paint off - it saves the warpage and stink that you get by burning the paint off with a torch.

Dang ! I could hunt with two of 'em and just carry cartridges and caps in one and leave the horn home ! :bow:

troutabout said:
Dang ! I could hunt with two of 'em and just carry cartridges and caps in one and leave the horn home ! :bow:

I have an Altoids tin that I have:

Four papare shot charges
four round balls
a half dozen cardboard wads
a dozen patches
ball puller screw
,45-70 case shot/powder measurer
homemade small screw driver. (made from an allen wrench)

I can put it in my pocket along with a copper "pistol" flask and can hunt with my trade gun without a bag or horn.

Great thread! Stumpy, the idea of peening a dome into the Altoids lid is pure genius. I'll have to do up a few this way. By the way, I usually just toss these guys in the wood stove for a few minutes to blacken them up.

I've used the wood stove system myself, but the propane torch was on hand and we didn't have a fire on. The ones from a hot fire do take on a more distinctive "aged" look. I wipe them with old motor oil on a rag to remove the loose ash & crud but leave them "raw" to look like an old japaned tin box that has been around the block a few times and lost its varnish. The torched ones let you be very thorough in evening out the tone and look like a patinaed gun blue steel.

Thanks for a great tip. I've got some Napoleon Bonbon tins that would work perfectly. Just the thing for my next invasion of Russia.

Latest posts

Back