• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General Altoid's Snuff Boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to get mine within 1 or 2 grns. At least thats what I did the last 300 .490's that I cast.

I did mine with more of a worn look.
Mike

IMG_4365.jpg

I have been using Altoids cans for carrying various small items for some time. I keep having problems with the hinges opening up. You say you just tighten them up with a needlenose? I was thinking I'd have to solder them.

I like your idea of doming the lids, I have a couple of the old - prestamped tins. I am heading to the basement to give them a peening, thanks for the idea.

Many Klatch

Klatch: Peen against a steel backer. I peened against a wood depression I use for copper work and drew quite a bow in the lid, making it tougher to close.

Hey, anyone remember metal Sucrets boxes?

BillinOregon said:
Klatch: Peen against a steel backer. I peened against a wood depression I use for copper work and drew quite a bow in the lid, making it tougher to close.

Yes sir. I remember them. I think there is one in my wifes sewing box that I had given her many moons ago.

BillinOregon said:

I got two in my shoot box!
call me lucky!

i have seen these at garage sales at times, often in neighborhoods of elderly/over 55 areas.

Bill, I tried against some flat endgrain 4 X 4 that I had, worked good. I found that after I used the ball peen end to dome the lid I had to use the flat hammer end to smooth it out. I had a small headed hammer that I used as a punch to level out from the edge of the dome that the ball peen could get to the sides.

Many Klatch

THANKS FOR THE THREAD!..I went to the local gas station and got some altoids.. dumped the manure in the trash and tossed the tin in my fireplace..with about 15 minutes of hammering I had a nice "used" looking finish. NOW.. I am looking for different shaped tins..LOL..

I have them from such things as: bandages, shoe polish (great little opening levers on the Kiwi), boot waterproofing, cough drops, tea, old tobacco tins, 35mm & Super 8mm film cans, European bonbons, lip balm, medicated powder, air rifle pellets, percussion caps and the always popular candy counter.

Check out the cash register area at the "boutique" type places when your better half drags you in. They have the fancier mints and candies that are likely to come in metal cans.

FWIW. Yesterday at CVS I found a cough drop called "Fishermans Friend" They come in the exact same box as the Altoids but with an unembossed, flat lid. Same price too. $2.99.

Not bad cough drops either. Even if they're super industrial strength.

I found those a while back too!.. NASTY tasting.. :barf:
BUT the tin is nice as you have stated! I already done one up. Wonder If I should tap the flatness out of the lid?? and give it a domed appearance?Is there anything else one can do to spiffy it up a bit?I know it's a persons "preference" but just wanted a few opinions..

Zillion years ago we used to take copper plates and, using wood dowels of various shaped tips, tap or just press hard to work in a design with them laid over a relief carved pattern.

il_570xN.245963131.jpg

You could come up with something pretty slick if you put your mind to it. The steel/tin(?) of modern cans is a bit harder to work so it would have to be simple.

Zonie,
Those plaques were done using copper foil and had to be backed up with something like modeling clay to support it from accidently touching it too hard and denting it.
Heavier copper could be peened into shape on an anvil or heavy flat plate. With enough patience it can even be shaped into a spherical shape with a small hole at the top. One thing about copper is that it work hardens, so after going over it with a hammer, it gets too hard to further shape it. It then has to be annealed to make it soft and able to be worked again. IIRC, anealing is done by heating it with a torch and then plunging it into cool water. I don't remember the details, I last did it around 1967. The process is repeated until you have the desired shape.

Paul

Back