• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fitted wooden gun case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it is finally done, just in time to take it to Oak Ridge, TN to shoot this week.

The case is made from hickory. Covering things with fabric is a completely new experience for me. I think the felt took more time to do and think about than the wood working. Thinking on covering the 2 compartment lids with felt.

Constructive comments welcomed.

Fleener

WOW!....WOW!......WOW! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. Now that is a beautiful and masterful job. How in the world did you get the felt liner to lay so flat and fit so tightly? Are the dividers inside the case made of wood? I would like to make a couple of pistol boxes and knowing your technique for fitting the felt so nicely would be a great help to me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: Send me a PM with the instructions and tips for making such a beautiful felt lining. :bow: :bow:

I used the 3M spray glue. works great. The lid I sprayed it, the rest was sprayed on wax paper and used Qtips to apply. You are able to stretch the fabric quite a bit as you lay it, so much so that you will find that you have a longer piece than you needed. The glue dry's really fast.

I used 1/4 tempered hard board for my partions. I would not do that again. I would use the same wood as the case. Gorilla glue was used for the inside fit up.

I used wax paper sitting on top of the compartments and traced the outline to make a template.

The pictures do not show the mistakes and are quite forgiving.

Fleener

Thank you for the info. It will be very handy when I build my pistol boxes.

You are right, any possible flaws do escape my eyes. What I see is a masterful job.

Well done. Well done, indeed. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

The rifle is an original Rigby English Sporting Rifle made in 1864. I have always wanted to own an original long range ML, but never dreamed I would own one this nice. A rifle like this must have a nice fitted case. Latter this week I will find out if I can make it shoot out to 1,000 yards. If it works, it just might be shot in the World matches latter this year.

fleener

Looks like you came to terms with both wood and fabric.
Looks great from here. :thumbsup:

Yeeez, 1000 yard muzzleloader?!? That's nuts in an amazing way! I'm thinking a new Olympic sport is on the horizon....

I would be wonderful to have ML as an Olympic sport.

Long range ML out to 1,000 yards or beyond has been around for over 150 years. LRML is just not main stream, even in the ML crowd.

Fleener

That would be very neat! I've done long gong shoots and stuff, but never over 300 yards....but I don't have a super fancy rifle:). We should propose that as a new sport!

What is the lining fabric and what is your source? I have not been able to find anything that looked similar in any of the local fabric shops.

Hi Bill,
This case is lined with fabric most often used by the old makers, woolen baize fabric. That fabric can be bought from Abimelach Hainesworth Company in England. Do a Google search for their name and you will find their website. They have a heritage cloth product line that includes the baize, which they supply to the British Army for the Royal Guards. They have been in business under the same family since 1783 and the great gunmakers such as the Mantons and Wogdon may have purchased their baize fabric from AH. No order is too small and if you Fax them an order, you will have it within 10 days Fed EX. Original cases were sometimes lined with velvet and soft leather.
part4finishedcasecenterview.jpg

part4finishedcasewithguns1.jpg

dave

Back