• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cased LeMat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished the case for my Pietta LeMat reproduction and accessories and I thought someone might be interested to see how it turned out. I had wanted to copy the design of an original, but I found that there was a lot of variation among originals, so I chose instead to just design my own.

Bill Shumate made the box for me and as usual his work was perfect. I have had Bill make a couple of cases for me and given how beautiful his work is the cost is very reasonable. This time, however, I decided to finish the case interior myself, just for fun. (Winter nights in Montana get awfully long without two or three or five or more hobbies to keep busy.) I used a velvet fabric, which is more difficult to work with than felt, but it's hard to find the colors that I like in felt. I also had a difficult time finding a knob for the top of the bullet compartment. I looked in hardware and hobby stores but I couldn't find anything that would work. Then it occurred to me that the LeMat bullet itself has a shape that would be perfect for a knob so I drilled a screw hole in one and polished it, and I think that it turned out rather nice - even if I do say so myself - which I do. That bad patch on the underside of the box lid will be hidden by a label, as soon as I can find one.

Thanks for letting me share. Helpful comments are always welcome. Y'all enjoy.

Attachments

• Cased LeMat 121023.jpg
    Cased LeMat 121023.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 5
  • LeMat knob.JPG
    LeMat knob.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
I plan to put some shotgun cartridges in the covered compartment. I just haven’t made them yet.

I just finished the case for my Pietta LeMat reproduction and accessories and I thought someone might be interested to see how it turned out. I had wanted to copy the design of an original, but I found that there was a lot of variation among originals, so I chose instead to just design my own.

Bill Shumate made the box for me and as usual his work was perfect. I have had Bill make a couple of cases for me and given how beautiful his work is the cost is very reasonable. This time, however, I decided to finish the case interior myself, just for fun. (Winter nights in Montana get awfully long without two or three or five or more hobbies to keep busy.) I used a velvet fabric, which is more difficult to work with than felt, but it's hard to find the colors that I like in felt. I also had a difficult time finding a knob for the top of the bullet compartment. I looked in hardware and hobby stores but I couldn't find anything that would work. Then it occurred to me that the LeMat bullet itself has a shape that would be perfect for a knob so I drilled a screw hole in one and polished it, and I think that it turned out rather nice - even if I do say so myself - which I do. That bad patch on the underside of the box lid will be hidden by a label, as soon as I can find one.

Well done! I am working on a jewlry box for a friend. I have made a lot over the years for gifts. It is harder to build a small box like yours than it is to to build a large one. If you charge someone and count your time and cost of material at a fair price it would shock some people.I try to keep cost down being all I have sold were to friends.Custom work isn't cheap. I can see that your friend does excellent work.

Very nice workmanship kh54 :thumb:

Latest posts

Back