• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polyester felt...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old com-tech tool case that I've been using as a range case for some time. I've just finished adding some compartments to help with the organization of stuff. Made the dividers, wrapped them with toolbox liner "felt," set it in place and that project is done. Coffee time...

...but then, it occurred to me that the "felt" material I used is a polyester fabric which could possibly accumulate a static charge on it's surface. I am given to understand the plastic "cans" in which BP is shipped, sold, and stored is static resistant. However, worrywart that I am, I wonder if I will create a compromising, perhaps dangerous situation by carrying BP to and from the range in one of those newly "felted" compartments. Am I over-thinking this?

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

ppb

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 18
Don't feel bad about worrying about it. Take a look at the hand-wringing and soul-searching in various threads (on woodworking forums) devoted to the paranoia concerning whether your dust collector will result in a massive dust explosion if you don't ground everything you can see.

But I suppose you could just attach a ground strap to your tool case and then drag that behind you wherever you go. It occurs to me that the only time I EVER got a static charge off a piece of luggage (including a variety of tool cases, gun cases, and musical instrument cases) was when I was in my teens and had a fiberglass suitcase with an aluminum frame. It was basically a giant capacitor. 😂 You'd be walking along with it -- holding the fiberglass handles and with your pant leg rubbing against fiberglass side. Then accidentally get the aluminum frame close to something that was grounded and ZAP!! Most exciting piece of luggage I ever had.

Thinking about static electricity, just got some strokes on the Cat.
Heard the "snap" but he didn't move so not enough to bother him. ;)
And the melted cotton poly wad? That should be a fun clean up job. :oops:

Thinking about static electricity, just got some strokes on the Cat.
Heard the "snap" but he didn't move so not enough to bother him. ;)
And the melted cotton poly wad? That should be a fun clean up job. :oops:
easy with a grease gun and zerk! :D
stinking static is so bad in the winter we have 2 steam pots on the wood stove all the time.
wife and i bump shoulders before touching bare skin. get out of the recliner and touch the stove handle gets a disco dance!

Don't feel bad about worrying about it. Take a look at the hand-wringing and soul-searching in various threads (on woodworking forums) devoted to the paranoia concerning whether your dust collector will result in a massive dust explosion if you don't ground everything you can see.

But I suppose you could just attach a ground strap to your tool case and then drag that behind you wherever you go. It occurs to me that the only time I EVER got a static charge off a piece of luggage (including a variety of tool cases, gun cases, and musical instrument cases) was when I was in my teens and had a fiberglass suitcase with an aluminum frame. It was basically a giant capacitor. 😂 You'd be walking along with it -- holding the fiberglass handles and with your pant leg rubbing against fiberglass side. Then accidentally get the aluminum frame close to something that was grounded and ZAP!! Most exciting piece of luggage I ever had.
From quote above: "It was basically a giant capacitor. 😂 You'd be walking along with it -- holding the fiberglass handles and with your pant leg rubbing against fiberglass side. Then accidentally get the aluminum frame close to something that was grounded and ZAP!! Most exciting piece of luggage I ever had."

I had a similar problem from time to time, back when I still shopped at Sam's Club, while pushing one of their carts and wearing Crocs whose soles were worn paper thin. Every few yards my hands would get zapped, I would jump and people would glance at me and head for another isle.

Last edited:
Back