• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first prb deer+nice buck (PICS)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really doubt he's a troll. My family used to do mostly deer drives 5 years ago and I have taken a deer or two during a deer drive as a blocker. No, they're not ethical but can be safe if executed correctly and as long as everyone knows what they're doing. The problem is there is always a guy who don't care what's behind that deer. :shake: My 1st deer was taken in a drive but I was 10 at the time and my family does deer drives which is what they had all of us do. We quit driving because we don't have the "driveable" properties anymore. This is just how Thompshooter was raised like I with deer drives. I'm not going to say whether deer drives are ethical or not but I can tell you one thing. Drives and muzzleloaders don't mix. Why many people on here poo poo on drives is becasue we have a mix of many different hunting cultures. In some areas, drives are just the culture. If you shoot at deer that aren't moving it's not a guarentee that you won't wound it. It seems that a few people on here think it's a guarentee. Just my opinion.

Thomp shooter is no troll and some of you guys owe HIM appologies for such rude comments.i am simply shocked how repulsive some of you guys are being to a fellow hunter. i heard the true story from Aaron himself and he did a horrible job of explaining the hunt in his write up, making it sound much worse then it actually was. first of all he didnt hit the first deer, the ball grazed it and cut off some hair and that was it. secondly yes he made the mistake of shooting at a running deer, and he didnt lead it enough and ended up hitting it in the hip. the deer fell in the brush. Aaron reloaded and went in to finish it off. his first shot missed and the second shot hit the deer right through the shoulders...A LETHAL HIT ! the deer was still moving slightly so aaron had his uncle finish it off quickly sense that is the HUMANE thing to do. he did nothing illegal or overly unethical. yes he made a bad hit, but he did his job to finish it as quickly and humanely as possible. isnt that wat all hunters are taught to do ? I have been hunting with Aaron for years now and belive me he is a very good hunter. he practices gun safety and is very obediant about seeing wat is behind his target before he shoots. yes here in ohio we do deer drives to get the deer up and moving to other hunters so they can get a chance at a deer. our deer here are pressured alot from alot of bow hunters and in gun season you wont see a deer in the daylight around here unless you drive them out. this method is totally legal and there is nothing wrong with it.So i really think some of you guys need to apologize for what you have said. yes Aaron and I are only 16 and we have alot to learn, but that doesnt give you the right to degrade us and make us not want to be part of this forum that we like so much. Thanks SS

Luie,
Are you sure you're 16? Man, you sound much older than your age.
We used to party hunt, too. My family would have about 8 to 10 members with rifles, and would split up into groups of three or so, and when they got into elk would blaze away and kill as many as possible. Then if there were more dead elk than licenses, we would call someone else in the family and have them buy licenses to cover the dead elk.
I'm not proud of that, but that's the way it was in a poor family.
But in this day and age, there is no excuse for any of this. Drives, party hunting, any of it. This is a society of instant gratification, and who has the biggest buck or the most deer on the ground wins. People don't want to hunt anymore, they just want to kill something.
Hunting is hard work, and finding is even harder. People have forgotten that it takes hard work to harvest a deer or an elk. They but trail timers, and cameras, and find the biggest buck in the land, they know where he's going to be, and they use all the modern scent eliminators and scent bombs, and calls, and then they are the great white hunter who killed the biggest buck.
I know I'm going on and on, but that's why I gave up cf's and hunting the way I did before. I want it to be hard. I want to have to pack it out on my back, and be so tired that I can't walk 10 feet when I get home. And I'd bet that most on this forum feel pretty much the same.
You're a good kid, Luie, and I'm proud to have you on the same forum.
This entry before me wasn't there when I wrote this, but I don't apologize for speaking my piece. If the young man is a good hunter, then he'll prove himself, or get someone else to write his threads.

:thumbsup: Thanks for rewording thompshooter's post. The way thompshooter worded it, it sounded that he busted the back leg off and the front leg, not lethal hits. But if he hit the deer through the front shoulder with that big 14 gauge ball that's easily a lethal shot. But again, I wouldn't have posted the pics of that doe. You can still see that it was clearly a head shot. I'm not judging at this point or anything like that but thompshooter, why didn't you use the 14 gauge instead of that inline? From what it sounded like in the story you were just sitting waiting for deer like most of us do when you shot that buck.

I grew up in the Adirondack Mts and deer drives were the way we hunted try a slow drive and no noise the deer move slower and when one seeps out try a wistel or a grunt to try to stop him if not and you must shoot at a running deer know your gun and lead try shooting at a pull target Up here if you wound a moose and do not recover it and it is found or someone see you will will not hunt for a long time I would not hunt around this group at all

No apologies, "Silent Sniper". One of the things that is important to learn, as early in life as one can, is to take responsibility for how one communicates to others. "It's all in the presentation", as my dear Dad used to say.

You are asking us to know Aaron as well as you do, without us having met or hunted with him. Sort of impossible, don't you think? What we have to go on is what he wrote - a hunting story that was boastful and disrespectful of the creatures he wounded and killed. It doesn't matter if he is 16 or 66 - the story he told ran counter to the values of the members of this forum, and he was told as much in no uncertain terms. You say we should not criticize a "fellow hunter"? Being a hunter does not give anyone special rights or excuses for bad behavior.

This is really an opportunity for a learning experience, if he - and you - choose to see it that way. If he wants to be regarded with respect, he needs to act and write of his actions in a way that reflects a more mature understanding of and respect for the serious business of taking life (i.e., killing). This is not a video game, after all.

There are lots of forums that you can go to where blasting away without regard or remorse will be applauded. But this forum is not one of them.

If I may - please, anyone who may be wondering if thompshooter is a troll, or an unethical hunter, or anything else - click on his moniker and then look at his old posts. In addition to some pretty good hunting tales, one of his old posts asked for load recommendations and advice for the smoothbore he used in the original post of this thread. I think he got one response, from Paul.

Aaron has shared hunting stories about squirrels, rabbits, and ground hogs, with his 14 (which I believe belonged to his grandfather), his .32, and his New Englander. He is a solid, contributing member of this forum, and I for one hope we haven't discouraged him from continuing to be just that.

Silent Sniper, :hatsoff: thanks for clearing up most of the misconceptions generated by the original post. You did that very well, I think.

Thompshooter, I really think your biggest crime might have been posting when you were still excited about the hunt. :grin: I really enjoy your hunting tales (most of 'em anyway :wink: ) and hope to see many more.

To everybody else - thompshooter, Silent Sniper, and Luie B are all great young guys, and we're very lucky to have them here.

AND - there is nobody here who doesn't have something to learn. Anybody disagree with that?

Spot

sniper68 said:
pot.gif
Me thinks we got a troll...
reeling-smiley1-1.gif
If he's for real, he damn sure belongs in a foster home, as he claims to be 16.

I agree,
He is just a kid who was taught by a father with no moral compass.
Deer drives should be illigal because even tho Louey B may be able to drive woods quitely and in a ethicical manor most deer drives are done by slob hunters who push and shoot any thing brown.
My house was shot last winter my a urban hunters who bought a cabin near me who does nothing but drive timber.
They shot and left three elk dead(gut and ass shot) one was a spike bull (illigal) 50 yrds from my house,later that winter I found the bullet hole in my house and Rita my five year old daughter found the bullet in her bedroom.
Because it was after the fact and the hunters lied about the rifles they used no charges were brought up against them.
Sorry but I an totally on the side of all the forum member who berated the unmoral hunter, 16 yrs old or not, maby he will now question his father's unmoral training .
If anti hunter see his post it will just be one more notch against us.

DSCF4700.jpg

DSCF4703.jpg

Greenmtnboy said:
He is just a kid who was taught by a father with no moral compass...I an totally on the side of all the forum member who berated the unmoral hunter, 16 yrs old or not, maby he will now question his father's unmoral training .
I was afraid someone was going to go there. :shake:

silent sniper said:
you wont see a deer in the daylight around here unless you drive them out.

Learn to stalk! or still hunt as some folks call it.
I killed my first deer at age eight in it's bed in the thick hard timber of Northern VT. I was taught to hunt one shot no running critter kills by my Grandfather and two great uncles.
I have harvested meat every year sence then (I'm 44) and have NEVER!! wounded or lost game bow ,rifle, or muzzlerloader in all hunting conditions.
Only one animal needed a second shot when I accidently spined a cow during muzzleloader season.
What happened to old school ethical hunting.
Remember when you are in the woods SLOW DOWN!! take three to five steps and glass, glass, glass.
Look for not for just the critter but an ear,eye, a twitch,a color difference an outline. train yourself, Many hunting clients,my wife, my friends, wonder why I am always the first to spot game, one I was raised right, two I'm dilligant, and three I have been doin it sence I was five.
My five year old daughter and I have a critter seeing contest every time we are in the woods thats damn near 100 percent of the time.
She now rivels her old man seeing game.
Both of you are young, maby it's time to stop relying on falty training and hang out with "other" old guys.
I don't blame you personally just your upbringing.
wounding animals needlessly and shooting running ungulated is unethical.

Im sorry for calling him a troll He is not. Just a very poor large game hunter with no ethics or regard for the game he hunts.Because he is young I am holding my words to that. I could say much more. :cursing:

Spot said:
Greenmtnboy said:
He is just a kid who was taught by a father with no moral compass...I an totally on the side of all the forum member who berated the unmoral hunter, 16 yrs old or not, maby he will now question his father's unmoral training .
I was afraid someone was going to go there. :shake:

Spot I understand my words are harsh but who raised him to hunt this way? this it not Poitical correctness 101.
These young boys need to understand what was done is wrong pure and simple and by god under their parents supervision, :barf:
If I ever took a running shot or diden't ethically follow up on a wounded animal I would have lost my hunting privilage.
Maby their fathers will see our post and question their own hunting ethics before the bunnyhugger, bambie complex, tofu fartin faries, see his hunting post and use it against we, moral, one shot, one kill hunter.
Nuff said I guess, I'm more than a little sickened and need to get the hell off the forum.
:shake: :shake:

OK. Time for a huddle. We've got a young hunter here who took some head-slaps from us and took them well.

Who here was never 16 and wouldn't have been just as excited? Damn fine job of filling the freezer, Thomp.

Most of us here are old farts and are measuring him with our current standards. Cut him some slack, leave his family out of your comments (please), and lets explain why we are concerned.

He's young, impressionable, bloodied and excited. Hopefully we have given him something to think on without chasing him off. We've added challange to our own hunts and take pride in the deer we take by outthinking them and the other hunters so we can deliver one accurate, killing shot. It is possible in the heaviest of cover and hunting pressure, but it takes work and the willingness to pass up a lot of "iffy" opportunities. That comes with maturity. I promise my NY woods are as thick and well hunted as the Ohio woods (I have 20 acres and saw five other hunters on my property last Sunday who were just "passing through").

Give him time, give him suggestions, but I think we have now given him sufficient grief. Let's give him a hand up instead of a the back of our hand.

Thomp,

My Dad took me and my brothers hunting at a very early age. He taught us all about the woods and wildlife, and to respect both. Some very basic lessons from Dad:

1. "If you take an animals life, you owe it as clean a kill as possible"

2. "Know your firearm, and its limits"

3. "Know yourself, and your limits with your firearm"

Now, I grew up in southern Ohio, and have killed many deer by still hunting or on a stand. One of the reason I like muzzleloaders is because it puts the "hunt" back in hunting. You must get a little closer, work a little harder, but when you do bag your deer, you get a great feeling of accomplishment.

I personally have never shot at a running deer. I know my guns, and my capabilities and there are just too many variables.

I know this may sound odd, but I don't mind killing an animal, I just really don't want to hurt one.

Greenmtnboy said:
silent sniper said:
you wont see a deer in the daylight around here unless you drive them out.

Learn to stalk! or still hunt as some folks call it.
I killed my first deer at age eight in it's bed in the thick hard timber of Northern VT. I was taught to hunt one shot no running critter kills by my Grandfather and two great uncles.
I have harvested meat every year sence then (I'm 44) and have NEVER!! wounded or lost game bow ,rifle, or muzzlerloader in all hunting conditions.
Only one animal needed a second shot when I accidently spined a cow during muzzleloader season.
What happened to old school ethical hunting.
Remember when you are in the woods SLOW DOWN!! take three to five steps and glass, glass, glass.
Look for not for just the critter but an ear,eye, a twitch,a color difference an outline. train yourself, Many hunting clients,my wife, my friends, wonder why I am always the first to spot game, one I was raised right, two I'm dilligant, and three I have been doin it sence I was five.
My five year old daughter and I have a critter seeing contest every time we are in the woods thats damn near 100 percent of the time.
She now rivels her old man seeing game.
Both of you are young, maby it's time to stop relying on falty training and hang out with "other" old guys.
I don't blame you personally just your upbringing.
wounding animals needlessly and shooting running ungulated is unethical.

I too consider myself blessed with good teaching very young in life ,this fella has a chance to learn from this post and I will take from it what he will .
I hope that he understands that "one shot ,one kill" isn't just a saying but a creed

that is why so many of the posts are stong against the manner of which that deer was taken .

with some support from us I feel he will see the error in his ways and correct the judgements needed .

good luck to you next season and try to remember to breath through your shot .

Know that we all just want you to better next time that's all.

good luck

:yakyak: Enough of the yakyak,good luck and good hunting in your long to come future.After the slamming here time will tell what kind of hunter you will be come.Keep posting on here.Griz :wink:

Good on Silent and Spot. Good on everyone here, it is obvious how everyone has a high standard to our game's life :thumbsup:

Sounds like Thomp just come across wrong, something I am sure he will improve on.

Boy o boy some of the things I have done when young :youcrazy: I had no one, my father was an @$$! I had to learn my self and still have lots to learn at 43years.

I have enjoyed Thomps post's in the past so please keep them coming, just take your time writing, use the preview button and read it again before posting.

We all get angry, we all have to get chastised sooner or later. Taking it on the chin and giving a cool response is what your doing and thats what makes a man so good :thumbsup:

You get your deer how your family have done it for years, maybe you can make suggestions on improving it by asking questions here, why the hell not :thumbsup:

You know what, I would probably still feel safer out hunting with Thomp than the journey home in the car after!

Brits.

I live across the river from southeast Ohio. I asked a ohio hunter if he saw any deer one day a few years back. He said no but he got a couple sound shots. :shocked2: Asked what a sound shot was and was told its when you hear a sound in the brush and unload on it. :shocked2: :shocked2: Parts of SW ohio are like a war zone in gun season. If you hear 1 shot it will be followed by 4 more. This includes muzzle loading season. Drives are the normal thing to do. Its done a lot. Im not talking about the young fellow that started this thread just passing on how things are in some parts of Southern Ohio. I would like to and may Bow hunt there sometime but haveing survived Vietnam don't feel like dodging bullets any more. Larry Wv

"The same "HUNTER" who has no qualms about killing a deer, legally, during Deer Season in the Fall, will be the guy working to save the life of a deer that has fallen through thin ice, and can't get itself out of the lake, pond, or river, in January"

Those are sage words.

Now, the problem is not with Deer drives and im actually a little offended that you guys are jumping on that as the problem. The problem here is not having the right weapon for the job. In ontario we do deer drives with *Gasp* dogs. We've only ever wounded one deer when i've been with the group. The difference is that we are useing high powered rifles, mostly levers or autos or bolts with scopes. The reason for this is that you need huge amounts of precison for shooting running deer.

It should not however be confused for being unethical. Its not hard to hit a 8 inch plate running at 30 yards. Thats gennerally as far as we get shots at. THis is because a good drive needs to be thouroghly scouted out to find the routes deer will take.

I got third place at my range for the running deer shoot. I practiced 2 or 3 times a month on running targets. i figured the lead i needed and could place a fist sized group at 50 yards. to me thats ethical.

Even still the high powered rifles can kill a deer very quickly with even a less than optimal hit. although 95% of the deer are shot clean through the lung/heart.

Deer drives take scouting and proper weaponry. Also don't think im defending this young man. His actions were not ethical IMO and not really reflective of a good drive.

This being said i don't come from a hunting familiy and im learning as much as i can. I've been looking for a muzzleloading area near me so i can get another week of hunting( and a Frontstuffer :thumbsup: ) I bow hunt aswell and do the stand hunting. I will admit that im not good enough to still hunt properly and its somthing that i want to learn to do better.

When I read the first post my stomach was turned.

After reading the whole thread. I still feel the same way and agree completely with greenmtnboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back