• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first prb deer+nice buck (PICS)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,
wel as you all may know today was the first day of gun season in Ohio. I went to public land and sat for 2 hours with the .45 {shunned firearm} and a buck came in and i shot him. well when i got home i decided that i need to have fun with deer hunting. so i got out the sxs 14 guage and loaded her up. our family does drives through alot of land so i knew i would get alot of running shots and shots in general. well the first 3 doe came out of the woods right at me and i waited till broad side at 40 AND BOOM BOOM. well the guy in the woods told me i hit the one in the butt so i went back to find her and i didnt. so then 5 mins later 3 more doe came out of a diffrent place and one big one stoped and BOOM i missed at around 30 yards. so i said well try again so i did and the 3rd doe that came out i pulled up and BOOM. she fell on the ground instantally. well as i was reloading the doe got back up and trotted away. i called my uncle and told him to not let her get by them because i wanted her badly. well it turns out as i was walking to my uncle to talk to him she jumped up and ran about 20 yds away and BOOM BOOM and on the 2nd shot she droped again!!! well then she got up and ran down a ravine where uncle had to use his 12 guage to blast her in the head. it turns out my first shot was in the back leg and the 2nd shot went through her front leg. all in all i learned that hunting with a real smokepole is 100 times better than with an inline. here is a pic for ya.
2deer.jpg

thanks aaron

Can I suggest something here? Get back to the range and get proficient with that SxS before you ever go deer hunting again. You owe it to the animal not to just blast away and proclaim it so cool with wounded deer running around. I'd rather see you use that inline and leave this site than use that SxS again unless you know where it is hitting.

thomp shooter said:
hello,
wel as you all may know today was the first day of gun season in Ohio. I went to public land and sat for 2 hours with the .45 inline and a buck came in and i shot him. well when i got home i decided that i need to have fun with deer hunting. so i got out the sxs 14 guage and loaded her up. our family does drives through alot of land so i knew i would get alot of running shots and shots in general. well the first 3 doe came out of the woods right at me and i waited till broad side at 40 AND BOOM BOOM. well the guy in the woods told me i hit the one in the butt so i went back to find her and i didnt. so then 5 mins later 3 more doe came out of a diffrent place and one big one stoped and BOOM i missed at around 30 yards. so i said well try again so i did and the 3rd doe that came out i pulled up and BOOM. she fell on the ground instantally. well as i was reloading the doe got back up and trotted away. i called my uncle and told him to not let her get by them because i wanted her badly. well it turns out as i was walking to my uncle to talk to him she jumped up and ran about 20 yds away and BOOM BOOM and on the 2nd shot she droped again!!! well then she got up and ran down a ravine where uncle had to use his 12 guage to blast her in the head. it turns out my first shot was in the back leg and the 2nd shot went through her front leg. all in all i learned that hunting with a real smokepole is 100 times better than with an inline. here is a pic for ya. thanks aaron

It made my stomach turn to read your post, so you'll get no congratulations from me.

I mean What?? Dude I think you need to pay A LOT more attention to your marksmanship and to not shooting at running deer. You write of wounding animals as if it were part of a video game, with no remorse for what you are doing. Sounds like you had some kind of fun, according to your standards of fun - the kind that give hunters a really bad name. Suffice it to say you would not be welcome in my hunting camp. I could say much, much more, but I'll leave it at that. :cursing:

On the one you think you hit in the butt did you find any blood? That would have ruined my day and made me go home right then, I have lost two deer, not in years, thank goodness, still bothers me to think about it though. I think you should take Swampy's advice. Chris

Lot's I "could say"... Suffice to say that you should heed Swampy's advice regarding getting to know your smoke poles capability (and yours), or stay with a scoped CENTERFIRE rifle or Slug shotgun. Your "spray and pray" attitude does all of us sportsmen a great disservice.

:dead:

BTW - Nice buck.

In 1967( I know-- before dirt was invented!) I was a deer checker working a check station at (Old) Valmeyer, Illinois, down south of St. Louis, on the Mississippi river. An elderly man brought in a yearling doe that had 17 :shocked2: wounds on her, that dropped dead in front of him. She dressed out at less than 35 lbs. He tagged her, because he had shot at a RUNNING DOE that came by him, as had other members of his family before him, stationed up the ravine where he was hunting. He apparently shot low with his shotgun shooting slug, and didn't even seen this yearling running with its mother, but out of his view. He had the decency to claim the deer, altho he had no idea if his slug hit the little deer and killed it or not.

He was one of dozens of deer hunters who brought in deer with multiple GSWs , that had hunted with the "bird guns" but shot slugs. They didn't even buy different brands of slugs and test them out to find out which shot the best from their particular gun! Whatever was the cheapest slug on sale at K-mart------

In 1968, my second year working the same county as a deer checker, I saw a lot more rear sights and a few scopes on shotguns, and a lot fewer deer with multiple gun shot wounds, and bad hits. When interviewed, most of the deer were taken as they stood, or were walking very slowly- NOT RUNNING. The number of deer killed that second year was almost double the number taken the year before, too.

Many years later, a friend of mine drew a special permit to hunt deer over in a state park, near Springfield, Illinois. He watched as a wounded deer staggered towards him, and dropped dead before he fired his gun. He waited for the hunters who shot the deer to come along to retrieve the deer, but when they saw it was a small doe, they walked away. In disgust, he put his tag on the deer, and checked it in.

Those are two examples of "Hunter Ethics" I know from interviews with the people involved. What you do is your choice, but most of us DON'T take shots at running deer. :surrender: :hmm: Its a question of respecting the wildlife to make sure you do everything in your power to insure a quick, clean, kill. This is a sport, not subsistence living. You don't need to take risky shots in hope of avoiding starvation. :hmm:

:confused: Man that sucks,i think ethics comes in here some place.Go figure. :confused: :youcrazy:Griz

Cease fire,cease fire their now soldier!

Chucking big balls around like that is gonna get someone hurt!

You would benifit from asking some questions in the smoothbore section on how to get that double printing where you are looking.

You need to do some work on paper before anymore shots at game are taken with this gun.

Many folks do embarrasing things, fools are the ones that don't learn from them.

Best wishes.

Brits.

There used to be a group where I worked that hunted that way. They used auto loaders, hunted the black timber until they could see legs from the elk, and would blaze away. Anything that fell, they would give the coupe de grace.
I called them, "The leg Shooters Hunt Club", motto, "We aim to maim!".
Nuff sed.

Im not sure how old you are but your post make it seem you are young or just young to hunting and have never been taught any hunter ethics or respect for the game you are after I think you should read alot. and shoot alot at paper. Before you ever go into the woods again.

I don't know what to say! A hunter safety course might help!
It's up to you to fix this.
Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back