• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miss Elizabeth gets a hair cut !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTT

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Well Miss Elizabeth is my .62 cal. Smoothboar Flintlock. When she came home with me she had a 42" cylander barrel. Now she came out of the gate smacking critters down! From Turkeys, to Deer, and Wild Hogs, she shot a patched round ball well and was able to figure a good shot load for her.. But this year I found that in lower light I was having trouble seeing my front blade. So this year I took a leap of faith and cut her barrel down to just under 32"!! :-0
After soderung a new turtle blade on the barrel I took her out for her trial run. OOOHHHH MY GOSH! She shot BETTER than she had before! After two shots at 30 yards to adjust rear sight I shot a three shot group touching each other! And dropping 10 grains of powder shot a better pattern with 50 hits in the head and neck of my turkey target! Trial one tipped over a Big Boar in Georgia and now I can't wait for Turkey Season!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-011325_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213-011325_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240128_222427.jpg
    20240128_222427.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240128_182158.jpg
    20240128_182158.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240225_234128.jpg
    20240225_234128.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240218_180716.jpg
    20240218_180716.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Couple of questions on getting your pig. How much did it weigh? What range & shot placement did you get on it? Didn’t see the load listed, how much powder did you use? How far did it get after tagging it?

Good job! :)
On the hoof was around 250 lbs. The shot was just over 20 yards ( spot and stalk ) round ball whent through the center of his heart. Shooting 70 grains of 3FG GOEX, .018 pillow ticking spit patch, .595 round ball. Hard to say how far he made it after the shot as he spun back into the thicket swung out then turned and came right back at Mr flipping over dead at 38 yards from me.

Attachments

• 20240218_180030.jpg
    20240218_180030.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 0
On the hoof was around 250 lbs. The shot was just over 20 yards ( spot and stalk ) round ball whent through the center of his heart. Shooting 70 grains of 3FG GOEX, .018 pillow ticking spit patch, .595 round ball. Hard to say how far he made it after the shot as he spun back into the thicket swung out then turned and came right back at me flipping over dead at 38 yards from me.
Reason I asked was this boar was killed by the guy that leased the back plot on my farm, Actual hanging scaled weight was 583 pounds. Took ten rounds of .308 almost straight down at about 20' to kill. Bryon said it was running around trying to get up the stand at him.

Bottom line, be safe. Those things are mean and tough.

Hog_Boar_Brian_killed.jpg

Reason I asked was this boar was killed by the guy that leased the back plot on my farm, Actual hanging scaled weight was 583 pounds. Took ten rounds of .308 almost straight down at about 20' to kill. Bryon said it was running around trying to get up the stand at him.

Bottom line, be safe. Those things are mean and tough.

View attachment 298819
Last time I went up against something weighing 583 pounds it was a group.
Does a hog like that eat well? Or do you have to braise it to chew it?

Last time I went up against something weighing 583 pounds it was a group.
Does a hog like that eat well? Or do you have to braise it to chew it?
They're tough hombres - literally! And, those tusshes are honed razor sharp to rip and tear meat. You have to be careful with hogs.
If you want good eating ribs, go for the smaller young'uns.

What was your turkey load? I have a fusil I cut down and am currently working on a shot load for it
60 grains 3Fg, overshot card, veg oil lubed fiber wad 1/4", 1.5 oz #6 shot and another fiber wad.
I will be playing more with the shot pattern to include some shot cups.

60 grains 3Fg, overshot card, veg oil lubed fiber wad 1/4", 1.5 oz #6 shot and another fiber wad.
I will be playing more with the shot pattern to include some shot cups.
Try the sky chief load listed at the top of this forum. I played around 4 days trying different loads and his worked best for me.

Latest posts

Back