• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First ML deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
At the ripe old age of 64, last Saturday, October 25, opening day of general deer season (Montana does not have a ML season) I shot my first deer with black powder. Using the TC Hawken .50 my father left me in 1987, with 80 grains of Pryodex RS and a conical a friend casts for me, at 35-50 yards, around 4pm, I got a good shot at what we refer to as a 2 point mule deer. Others would call him a 4 point or 2X2. One shot through the lung area, he went probably 50 yards before he fell. :grin:

Differences between hunting with a modern rifle and BP are you need to get a whole lot closer, you need to rely on one shot and you have to control your desire to run up and see if your animal is down while you calmly reload. :wink:

I noticed the rest of the herd my buck was with, did not seem to identify the direction the shot came from and ran around in circles while I reloaded. Is this common? :confused: I thought maybe I had shot a doe and her fawns were hanging around. I knew he was a buck before I fired, but until I saw him lying on the ground, the remaining deer had me wondering.

I was as excited as when I got my first deer some 50 years ago. :v

Back