• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fire hazard?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does firing black powder (revolver, rifle, musket, shotgun) over dry grass pose any increased fire hazard? Any issues with patch or wad being flammable when those hit the ground?

I think there is some risk, which increases if the shooter is loading more powder than will burn within the barrel. With muzzleloaders, you can reach a point, in increasing the powder charge, at which not all of the powder has time to detonate before it exits the barrel. There will always be some flash and sparks with shooting black powder, but if you get the real "Roman candle" effect, chances are a lot of the powder has not had time to combust within the barrel. It does get hot, though, and when it hits the oxygenated air outside the muzzle, it lights up. Old-timers were said to have liked long barrels so they would "burn all the powder," and thus give maximum velocity to the projectile.

Also, smoothbore shooters sometimes use combustible materials, such as tow, as wadding. That absolutely creates a fire hazard in in dry conditions.

From your posts, I have gotten the impression that you are primarily a revolver shooter. With reasonable powder charges, and no patches or combustible wadding, fire risk should be minimized. I would think if you hang around for a bit after shooting, and check for any evidence of embers on the ground, you should be fine.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I don’t think the risk is nearly as bad as people make out. I’ve shot muzzleloaders for years with conicals and never seen it happen or even heard of it happening locally. To be honest the gentlemen here on this site are the only ones I know that have seen it and it’s always been the result of a smoldering patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is some risk, which increases if the shooter is loading more powder than will burn within the barrel. With muzzleloaders, you can reach a point, in increasing the powder charge, at which not all of the powder has time to detonate before it exits the barrel. There will always be some flash and sparks with shooting black powder, but if you get the real "Roman candle" effect, chances are a lot of the powder has not had time to combust within the barrel. It does get hot, though, and when it hits the oxygenated air outside the muzzle, it lights up. Old-timers were said to have liked long barrels so they would "burn all the powder," and thus give maximum velocity to the projectile.

Also, smoothbore shooters sometimes use combustible materials, such as tow, as wadding. That absolutely creates a fire hazard in in dry conditions.

From your posts, I have gotten the impression that you are primarily a revolver shooter. With reasonable powder charges, and no patches or combustible wadding, fire risk should be minimized. I would think if you hang around for a bit after shooting, and check for any evidence of embers on the ground, you should be fine.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I have primarily only fired cap-and-ball percussion revolvers, but now I bought 2 muzzleloading rifles, and I am trying to learn how to properly care for, and fire, them. Further, I am contemplating hosting a black powder shoot at my ranch for north and northeast Texas members, so I am trying to plan ahead and cover all bases...

I fire my revolvers within the confines of my shooting bay with berms, but I would fire long guns outside my bay to increase their range

so from what I gather, the risk of fire is present, albeit minimal, and likely near enough the firing line such that a handy fire extinguisher or spray bottle may suffice

Last edited:
Oh boy...........well the rumor is an unconfirmed yes. Well here in East Central Illinois it gets dry in the summer. Darn dry. Crispy 'dead' grass dry. I have NEVER, not once EVER, had a single issue with fire/smoke/smoldering grass/weeds/leaves/etc. I even shoot tow out of my smoothbores with no issues. Paper wadding, no issues. Lubed patches, no issues. Prone in the crispy grass with full house hunting loads, no issues. Draw your own conclusions.

Does firing black powder (revolver, rifle, musket, shotgun) over dry grass pose any increased fire hazard? Any issues with patch or wad being flammable when those hit the ground?

The largest wildfire I was ever dispatched to, as a peace officer, was started by 3 individuals shooting lead round balls at a large plowing disc over tall dead grass in August. I was required to take their statements and file an incident report.

The disc was about 50 yards from where they stood, the fire appeared to have started about halfway between them and the disc.

They claimed a ricochet must have caused it, but I doubted a lead ball could cause a spark.

So, yes, I have seen Firsthand where black powder will start a wildfire.

If you don't believe me, simply shoot something flammable (clothe, hay, etc)a few times and see what happens.

I have NEVER, not once EVER, had a single issue with fire/smoke/smoldering grass/weeds/leaves/etc.
I have.
What do you need for confirmation? An on-line available Fire Departments report.? A paid insurance claim receipt?
Or just someone that's been shooting theses thing for 40yrs saying they have seen fires started from smoldering patch?

Now flip the coin,,( I get it )
Should a feller being shooting a patch that would smolder?
No.
Do experienced shooters see patches that smolder?
No.
Do all shooters begin the experience as "experienced" shooters?
Well, maybe today they do, there is youtube after all,, everyone's a pro. Just watch 5 different shared youtube vids and ya got it down,,
No chance of fire.

I’m an “experienced” shooter(40 years) and had soldering patch start to smolder. In dry grass at a range. I also live and have hunted in western Kansas. I would not hunt or shoot a muzzleloader when there were burn warnings except at a safe range that has water available. I also would not hunt or shoot in dry spells with low humidity and especially if windy and lots of dry grass or leaves provided fuel.

Only you know conditions where you will be shooting. If it is generally safe shooting conditions, go for it. I would have some water available just in case you get a smoldering patch and then have fun.

Here in Upstate NY dry weather is seldom the concern. We are generally as damp as a wet sponge, especially this year. That said, several weeks ago we had a not unusual week or ten days of dry weather with elevated temps. At our weekly shoot at our club, I noticed several different small smoldering areas from hot patches. Just a scrunching foot to take care of, but with a touch of a breeze I could certainly see a more significant fire starting. At our centerfire range, I have found smoldering spots down range from centerfire rifle shooting. It can happen.

I use crumpled phone book paper as wadding in my smoothbore and a few times it has come out smoldering. Luckily I was able to find it and I just put my boot on it and grind it underground with my foot to put it out.

I think necchi said it as it is. There is a risk that depends on the shooter's experience (and somewhat luck). Personally I only experienced smoldering wadding when I used tow and paper (not together of course). I never had a properly lubricated patch show any signs of smouldering, but patches I recover after shooting are dry. I use fast 3f powder. I can easily imagine someone using a slower powder might have a smouldering patch problem igniting a grass fire.

I was in a grass fire once (unrelated to muzzleloading). Such fires are fairly easy to extinguish if one has a shovel or they are very small. Once a grass fire gets a couple meters across good luck trying to extinguish it. The worst season for grass fires here is not summer. In summer the grass is green, but spring. There are unmaintained or wild fields around here that have grass that grows waist high. That grass dies during winter. In spring time it dries in the sun and it can get ignited with a smallest spark until it decomposes and new grass covers it.

Another huge fire risk in spring time are dry pine needles. Anyone shooting tow wadding in a pine forest in spring time should reassess their wadding choice.

Back