• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Banned at my Gun Club!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Black Powder has been banned on our Club Range until further notice. A shooter on the Public Range started a fire with his 1860 Colt Replica Revolver. It was a Freak accident as indicated by his explanation. It wasn’t real grass but the Astroturf in front of the Firing Line. Maybe they should have concrete or bare dirt instead of something flammable. This is the second burn mark since the first of the year. I don't believe the first one was caused by a Muzzleloader.

“I feel really bad about what happened at the range, I hate to be the guy that got black powder banned. As near as I could tell, the fire was the result of a percussion cap hitting the "grass" in front of the shooting positions. I saw the fire start and signaled the range master. The fire moved fast (I'm sure you've sen the damage). I was shooting from a standing position, .44 ball, 25 grains of powder and a lubed wad, nothing unusual and pretty sure I hit the target. Anyway, that's the basics - if there is anything else I can tell you just let me know.”

I’m hoping that the Board comes to its senses and removes the Ban. Otherwise, I’m going to have to join another Club a little further north.

Walt

Attachments

• 20230807_195037.jpg
    20230807_195037.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
We have an indoor range I worked at and was there the day it caught on fire. Reloads in an AR, bad feeds pushed the bullets into the case jammed the gun. Unjammed threw the bad case forward of firing line with unspent powder. We found 14 cases like that on the lane. Finally the gun fired, huge fireball, powder fell into the unspent powder pile and caught the sound baffling on fire. Not BP related but stuff can happen with modern firearms as well. Would not think a cap in this situation but burning powder onto unburnt centerfire powder. Poof.

Why would they have a flammable material that only covers 10 feet directly in front of the firing line? Seems like really dumb design to me.
They never thought about it until now. They're still not blaming the carpet! I bet that wasn't cleared by the Fire Marshall when it was installed.

Walt

Black Powder has been banned on our Club Range until further notice. A shooter on the Public Range started a fire with his 1860 Colt Replica Revolver. It was a Freak accident as indicated by his explanation. It wasn’t real grass but the Astroturf in front of the Firing Line. Maybe they should have concrete or bare dirt instead of something flammable. This is the second burn mark since the first of the year. I don't believe the first one was caused by a Muzzleloader.

“I feel really bad about what happened at the range, I hate to be the guy that got black powder banned. As near as I could tell, the fire was the result of a percussion cap hitting the "grass" in front of the shooting positions. I saw the fire start and signaled the range master. The fire moved fast (I'm sure you've sen the damage). I was shooting from a standing position, .44 ball, 25 grains of powder and a lubed wad, nothing unusual and pretty sure I hit the target. Anyway, that's the basics - if there is anything else I can tell you just let me know.”

I’m hoping that the Board comes to its senses and removes the Ban. Otherwise, I’m going to have to join another Club a little further north.

Walt
Maybe they should REMOVE the stupid, un-necessary idiotic Astroturf manure and just have like, regular dirt!

Be aware, as others mentioned, that even the by-products of the combustion process from 'modern' arms can be the source of a fire. I agree that they should remove the carpet.

Likely they something 'relatively clean' there to pick up spent brass that falls forward of the shooting line more easily. If that happened at my Club, I'd get together with other BP Shooters and lay a skim0oat of self leveling epoxy concrete or similar there ...

Whoever thought of putting AstroTurf there in the first place should have been kicked out of that club - such a stupid idea. I installed AstroTurf in my front and back yard at a cost of $18,000 and would NEVER think of using anything flammable near it. I hate it when people let their dogs and cats take a dump on it and when I see them do it I yell at them to pick it up NOW.

At my club's indoor range the had a powder fire in the concrete expansion joint. It moved along very slowly, no damage was done. The safety bedwetters let forth a deluge of urine.

It was caused by "green" powder. In other words unburnt powder from normal shooting that accumulated over time. I speculate that the Astroturf was catching unburnt powder. Once it had accumulated sufficiently it was ignited. Astroturf is plastic and not very flammable.

Putting Astroturf in front of the firing line was a mistake. It should be removed. IT had nothing to do with shooting black powder. The powder fire at my range was ignited by a regular smokeless cartridge.

There is a certain segment of the "Tacti-cool", "range-Nazi", "karen" types that will cause trouble for the regular members. They seem to get off on controlling others and making pointless work. Most of them have no other life or other interests. IT is important to push back against them.

My indoor range banned black powder. I quit my membership as did many others.

We had someone shoot the water sprinkler system at the indoor range. Wow! Was that alarm system loud. It shut down the range as it set off the sprinklers plus the range had to wait for the fire department to come give their OK before they could dry it out to use again.

But yeah that carpet at the range looked like a bad idea from the start.

Not the astro turf, rather unburned powder from regular cartridges that the hot spent cap ignited. When managing an indoor gun range we used to get flash fires all the time and periodically the carpets on the shooting positions would ignite from the powder.

All it needs is something HOT to ignite it, like a cap.

The astro turf is a perfect powder catcher.

I give my range board members a double thumbs up after reading this. At my club on the pistol ranges the concrete extends six feet in front of the shooting benches and then gravel out to the backstops. The rifle ranges have grass to the backstops. I guess those country boys running my range are tad bit smarter than the average bear.

Back