• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don’t trust them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pre shoot cleaning I pulled the end off the ramrod. Right at the pin. I wonder if glue would not have been a better choice. Or maybe fiberglass.

I'm with you boys... Pin and glue.

I make the wood a light press fit in the ferrule, then clean the inside of the ferrule with a Q-tip and acetone to remove any traces of oil or grease. Epoxy resin and hardener need to be in proper proportion and thoroughly mixed. However, as Tom A Hawk said, hot-melt ferrule cement, applied correctly, is hard to beat. I agree with Grenadier, too, in that the pin should run across the grain.

Installing one of these tips is not difficult but it really needs to be done right for best results.

Notchy Bob

Epoxy resin and a 1/16” mild steel nail. I use my rifle’s hickory rod with a brush and patches or to ram with no issues. If I have a stuck ball I use a range rod to pull it.

-Jake

I epoxy and pin my wood rods. I like JB weld or Devcon. For a pin, I found some heavy solid copper wire, possibly 8 gauge. I drill through with a bit the size of the wire, lightly chamfer the holes, cut a copper pin maybe 1/8" proud on each side, and lightly peen the ends with a hammer. I finish by filing the ends to look good. I've pulled balls with rods made in this manner. I would not do it as a habit, but they will work when you need them.

I drill and pin after using epoxy mixed with capaseal (glass powder). it is as strong as anything I have used, never has to pull a stuck ball (knock wood), but I clean and load with them and never had one fail.

Use a steel or brass rod for cleaning. Don't use your wood ramrod with water. The water will get under the tip and the tip will eventually come off, as usual, in the breech when cleaning. You may be able to use a ball puller to get it out. If not, you're gonna have to remove the breech plug.

I use pin & epoxy. Also, it is really important that the wood bottoms out on the inside of the brass tip. Having epoxy to fill this gap helps. I screw a jag on when I epoxy these so that way the excess epoxy is forced back out towards the wooden rod. You don't want epoxy goobering up the threads.

If the wood end doesn't bottom out inside the brass tip all the force of loading is born by the pin and the little shoulder where the outside of the brass tip meets the wood. Those are not strong enough and the wood will weaken over time.

Epoxy plus pin. Never hurts to have both. Plus the epoxy fills voids from the sanding process

Use a steel or brass rod for cleaning. Don't use your wood ramrod with water. The water will get under the tip and the tip will eventually come off, as usual, in the breech when cleaning. You may be able to use a ball puller to get it out. If not, you're gonna have to remove the breech plug.
Shoot it out 4ffffg either in the touch hole or under the nipple.NEVER in reach the plug unless absolutely necessary. Lots of gremlins under that plug waiting to bite your butt.

make a tapered tip. Cut a slot lengthwise in your rod, and make a wedge that it twice as wide as your slot. Epoxy, glue of your choice in the tip. Insert rod, and tap the cap to seat the wedge in the slot. This will expand the rod inside the cap, you don`t even need glue if done right. You can pin it for insurance. I think that this would be called a bling locking tenon in wood working, i use them all the time.

Back