• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Ram Rod retainer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Here is my solution to the Traditions Kentucky rifle ramrod retainer spring that was sent with the kit. The original spring is meant to be installed on the forward lock bolt that holds the lock in place. I would call this method a very poor designed idea or lazy thought or a after thought, i.e., "oh darn we forgot about the ramrod spring, maybe that is why the ramrod falls out". As one can imagine when you pull the lock off for what ever reason and the bolt slips off, the spring falls off and you have to pull the barrel off to put the spring back on the bolt. Or you have to put a bend in the ramrod to keep it in place. Why they did it this way i don't know. Now to a better solution.
Get yourself a large paper binder from one of your choice of office supplies, Staples was where mine originated. Figure out the width of the spring steel you will cut from the paper binder, use a wood chisel and chisel a spot for the new cut spring to lay. Cut the spring, drill a hole in it for a small nail to secure it in place. I used a small brass nail, cut to length so it would not protrude into ramrod hole. Or try some good glue, Not my recommendation at all but too each his own. Bend the spring enough to offer enough tension to ramrod in place. Simple I say. Here are the pics.

IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my solution to the Traditions Kentucky rifle ramrod retainer spring that was sent with the kit. The original spring is meant to be installed on the forward lock bolt that holds the lock in place. I would call this method a very poor designed idea or lazy thought or a after thought, i.e., "oh darn we forgot about the ramrod spring, maybe that is why the ramrod falls out". As one can imagine when you pull the lock off for what ever reason and the bolt slips off, the spring falls off and you have to pull the barrel off to put the spring back on the bolt. Or you have to put a bend in the ramrod to keep it in place. Why they did it this way i don't know. Now to a better solution.
Get yourself a large paper binder from one of your choice of office supplies, Staples was where mine originated. Figure out the width of the spring steel you will cut from the paper binder, use a wood chisel and chisel a spot for the new cut spring to lay. Cut the spring, drill a hole in it for a small nail to secure it in place. I used a small brass nail, cut to length so it would not protrude into ramrod hole. Or try some good glue, Not my recommendation at all but too each his own. Bend the spring enough to offer enough tension to ramrod in place. Simple I say. Here are the pics.

View attachment 278126View attachment 278127View attachment 278128
Well, a binder clip is a strong spring for the size. Good idea!

Latest posts

Back