• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How deep can ramrod hole be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camel73

32 Cal
Reaction score
Cleaning up some flinters tonight and saw an issue I could possibly fix...

I have an older .36 Kentucky where the ramrod could be maybe an inch deeper but there doesn't look like a lot of meat in that area of the stock.

It looks like they stopped because of a tall front trigger guard screw sticking up -- which I'm going to trim anyway.
Right now it's about 1¼" away from the front of the trigger guard where your fingers go.

Cleaning up some flinters tonight and saw an issue I could possibly fix...

I have an older .36 Kentucky where the ramrod could be maybe an inch deeper but there doesn't look like a lot of meat in that area of the stock.

It looks like they stopped because of a tall front trigger guard screw sticking up -- which I'm going to trim anyway.
Right now it's about 1¼" away from the front of the trigger guard where your fingers go.
I've seen a lot of loading rods stick out past the muzzle for ease of gripping and removal but they get hung up while hunting on limbs , vines etc. I'm not sure how common this was in history though.

When building I drill as deep as possible. Usually the lug for the guard is my stopping point. Obviously we want the ramrod as long as the barrel when possible. At the minimum, as long as the bore is deep.
Ok thanks.
I didn't know if there was a maximum safe length for worries of weakening the stock.

I've seen a lot of loading rods stick out past the muzzle for ease of gripping and removal but they get hung up while hunting on limbs , vines etc. I'm not sure how common this was in history though.
I see now why some guys have them sticking out... If mine were flush I'd never be able to grab it outta there.
Kind of depends on the shape of the end of your stock I suppose.

If you have trouble gripping a muzzle length r/r , put a brass end on the rod , and screw a brass tip on the exposed tip. You'll giter out quickly then. If it's still sticky in the gun , wax the rod.

If you have trouble gripping a muzzle length r/r , put a brass end on the rod , and screw a brass tip on the exposed tip. You'll giter out quickly then. If it's still sticky in the gun , wax the rod.
My .62 Fusil is flush and easy to grab.. The .36 kind of tucks the ramrod into the stock more.
It's good to know I can extend the hole a bit if I need to.

Back