• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone make stainless octagon flintlock barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone who has given constructive answers so far. It isnt really what I was looking for but getting hold of a Firestorm and restocking it with jaeger style wood and cosmetic hardware might be my best option for now.

For some others, I have another stainless black powder gun and I am aware of its advantages and limits. But thank you.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, I have never seen a stainless steel octagon barrel for sale.
You can buy stainless Lyman Deerstalker barrels when they are in stock.

1645671728500.png

What about leaving one in the white and keeping it bright instead of allowing it to patina?

Also what about having it hardchromed? Satin hardchrome looks like stainless and is better in the elements.

There is one just posted in the classifieds under "Firearms" as "CVA flintlock barrel". In the description it says stainless. Good luck

I have a Douglas XX 50 caliber stainless barrel which takes more work with wiping with silicon every month or so. My blued barrels can go a month or more w/o touching! It was made in 1950 or so and they don’t make a lot of them.
John

I don't know about any stainless flinters, but I know Thompson Center made a stainless Hawken Rifle called the Silver elite. I'm currently about to buy, a new old stock TC Greyhawk 50cal today. I was thinking about buying a TC New Englander stock, to see if the Greyhawk components fit. The New Englander & Greyhawk seem to be the exact same rifle, just one is Stainless & the other isn't.

I have a TC Greyhawk, easiest to clean muzzleloader I own. Not HC, but I don't have to worry about rust on any of the custom guns if I'm hunting in crappy weather.
How does your Greyhawk shoot round ball? I'm about to buy a New old stock Greyhawk 50 today. It's never been out of it's box & put together. I just want a decent traditional style SS Rifle, & I can't afford a Thompson Center Silver Elite, whenever I see a Silver Elite for sale, they want $1,400 or so. I'm thinking about buying a New Englander stock, for the Greyhawk, I seen a Greyhawk, in a New Englander stock on Armslist a while ago, and it looked amazing.

Im making a hunting rifle - and thats what I would like.
That would be awfully shiny. Game animals and people can see that kind of glare easily, up close and far.
It would still require cleaning within a day or two after shooting.
Carbon steel barrels are entirely satisfactory for most of us.
A flint lock gun with a stainless barrel and breech plug is not going to have much of a resale value.
But, it’s your preference and money, in the end.

I have quite a few unmentionable firearms in Stainless and have taken A lot of game with said guns and have never had a animal notice the color of the metal it’s made of, in general game only see danger in movement and in sound. Just saying ,but I could be wrong.

What do you mean? Why silicon?

Birchwood Casey make a silicon wiping cloth for exterior gun care. I have an old ROA from 1986 that gets used a couple of times a month. On guest days it can easily shoot over a hundred ball, and I'm a heavy user myself.

Externally, it still looks pretty much the same as the day I took it out of its big yellow and black cardboard box - internally, it's still like new.

Wonder what the OP ended up doing? Been well over a year.

Friend of mine had his tc done in something that made it shiny like chrome but was something else.

Im just starting building a flintlock for hunting with a Green Mountain barrel. I still think a stainless barrel and breech would be nice - but this has been the most practical option. It may take me a while.

I did consider getting a modern round stainless BP barrel altering the breach and making conical shooter reminiscent of an officers Elliot Carbine around it. Maybe that would be a project for later.

Latest posts

Back