• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BARREL rear sight peep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made an English Alex Henry 20 Ga. sporting rifle. At the time when I ordered the parts I purchased an extra breach plug to match the existing tang. Now I decided to order the extra barrel in a 45 caliber fast twist barrel to fit the existing gun. I really don't want to add a sight mount on the engraved tang.

My question is: Where to purchase a sort of original rear peep sight, where on the barrel to put it, and what does it look like. A tang sight is close to your eye. Love to see pictures or at least information on what to do. Need help!

Peep sights do not go on the barrel. The peep hole need to be close to your eye to work properly. If you cantilever it you will not beable to use the hooked breech. Drilling holes and making dovetails in the breech section my or may not be safe.

Perhaps make a new tang and do it right?

Last edited:
I put one of these from ToW on my Colonial:
1709507163333.png

May be of interest to you, maybe not.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/rs-ca-peep-16

This was the best group I was able to get when load testing at fifty yards with the sights from Kibler:

1000008460.jpg

After I changed sights, still at fifty yards with the same load:
1000008602.jpg

It could be that because my aiming point was smaller, aim small miss small, that I was able to group better. BUT I did find it easier and faster to line up my shot.

Was curious. I too have used peeps in the past and recently built some long rifles trying to use open sights and my aging eyes are limiting my shooting I believe so might try one one them to see how it goes. Thanks for replying and happy shooting

Was curious. I too have used peeps in the past and recently built some long rifles trying to use open sights and my aging eyes are limiting my shooting I believe so might try one one them to see how it goes. Thanks for replying and happy shooting
Worst case you're out $15 and pop the old one back in if it doesn't work out. Worth a shot I think!

I use one of the TOW peeps and like it. I use it in combination with a pair of 200 readers with a black 1/2" dot with a 3/32 hole in the center positioned on the readers. I'm 75 and wear bifocals normally.

Latest posts

Back