• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 2 parts lamb tallow , 1 part beeswax melted in the microwave, soak 1/8 inch thick pure wool felt sheets in it then punch out wads with a .38 cal hollow punch I got from TOTW. The lube doesn't run or drip out of the wads in the heat, I tried setting it on fire the wool just chars and turns black. The lube works really well, I've fired 8 full cylinders in a row and didn't run into fouling problems till cylinder 7 and that was the caps not seating on the nipples properly because of residue build up, cleaned nipples wit a toothbrush and problem solved, fouling in the bore and cylinder was minimal when I got home and took it apart to clean it.
Where do you get the pure wool sheets? I went to Hobby Lobby, and all I could find was synthetic velvet.

I guess there are 2 schools of thought here. It seems some of you say lube makes no difference in accuracy while others like myself claim the difference is real.
Mike in regard to your comment I also found a big difference in accuracy in my little Seneca .36 cal. The difference from coconut oil to a commercial lube cut my group size in half at 30 yards from 1.5" down to .75" and did it repeatedly. I do agree a wad between powder and patch aids in improved accuracy also but I prefer unlubed patches so as not to contaminate the little powder it touches (I find this more critical with the small 30 gr load in the .36 cal). The patch is lubed to keep fouling soft and the dry wad helps scrape the bore as it exits.

Latest posts

Back