• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some newby questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1) I have just recently started casting my own lead. Mosty round balls and Mini's for the Musket. My last Midway USA order, added some Alox and a stick of Lyman super molly bullet lube in the basket to put me over the limit for free shipping, but am now realizing that I don't have a clue how to apply or use this stuff, and there are no instructions. What do I do with this stuff?

2) Just bought my first flintlock, a .45 T/C Hawken. It's Currently being shipped, not sure how to choose or set up / adjust flints. How long they last, etc... Anything special I should know about cleaning / using the T/C flintlock, vs my T/C percussion?

3) What if anything can I do with the lead saturated slag I've been skimming off the top of my casting pot?

Last edited:
Also you shouldn't have lead saturated slag (called dross) in the melt. The flux should separate the clean lead from the dross, which is just trash and can be thrown out, when I collect about a gallon can of it I put on the lower drive way, away from any water source.

I suggest going to the Flintlock section and scrolling through threads about flints, lots of good info there.

Liquid Alox you thin with mineral spirits and “tumble lube”. Put 100 or so bullets in a ziplock bag and 3 or 4 drops of the thinned Alox and shake around. You want a varnished look, barely visible. Dump bullets out on wax paper to dry. Do a second coat the next day. If it won’t dry you put to much on, a little goes a long ways. I have never used it for black powder bullets so I can’t say if it will work or not, it does work fine for 45 ACP conventional lube bullets. There might be better lubes for your intended use.
Super Moly is for a lube sizer.

I use liquid Alox on my cast round balls simply as a means of preventing oxidation from occurring on them during storage in leather ball bags (or in the plastic cases that the swaged balls come in when I occasionally purchase them), and for that purpose it works quite well.

A little does indeed go a long way.

As an alternative to using a zip lock bag, I use a 1qt plastic tub with lid and simply roll the balls around in the tub to coat them before dumping them out to dry. I use conventional black power lubricants when loading the Alox coated balls.

Latest posts

Back