• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble finding
Bore butter?

I watched a video the other day , of a guy who makes his own.
1/2 heated olive oil, 1 stick bees wax, a few drops wintergreen scent.

Thoughts, ideas?
Thx
Mark

I make my own. EZ PZ on the stovetop. I've tried a half dozen mixes using various ingredients. The mix that worked best for me is 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 Crisco and 1/3 olive oil. The exact ratio isn't critical. More beeswax makes it "stiffer" and more olive oil makes it softer. Get the pelletized beeswax. It melts into the hot oil much easier.

I load the liquid into glue syringes while it's cooling just before it starts solidifying. The tip needs to be cut and opened. Easier to use that way and you don't get your hands messy. But I also have some in little condiment cups.

IMG_3367.JPG

Have not tried to find any. I only use it as a patch libe in a mega finicky .36 bobcat so I think Ihave a life time supply in my tube n a half. Try on-line stores? Midway, cabels etc etc?

I've made my version, sometimes called EVO Oyle's patch lube, lip balm, leather conditioner, bullet lube, skin cream, fire starter, wood polish, and rust inhibitor from 1 part bee's wax and 4 parts olive oil that I mix in a double boiler. Nothing special about the proportions. The more oil, the softer it is when it's cold. The more wax, the stiffer it is in the summer heat. When you make your own, you control the consistency of the final product. By the way, it's not a very good rust inhibitor.

Stay away from bore butter junk. Why the heck anyone would try to copy it... no clue.
Have you tried using it with cap 'n ball revolvers? No, not the store-bought variety; I agree that's junk, but the homemade variety. It's pretty amazing how much less black powder fouling there is when you use it. You can coat your wad with it or if you're going wadless you top off the chamber with it. That's where the syringe comes in handy. It lubricates and cleans the bore as you shoot. Really does. Amazing difference.

I tried beeswax + crisco and that was too stiff to use in a syringe, and I tried beeswax + olive oil and that was too soft in warm weather.

Try alcohol and vegetable oil about 5/1 alcohol/oil (find the ratio that pleases you and your gun). I use 91% isopropyl but denatured works fine too but pricier. The 91% doesn't mix thoroughly but shaking it up takes care of that.

I use strips and cut at the Muzzle so the strips are layer out and the mixture squirted on evenly. I use the same plastic bottle that the alcohol is sold in.

The alcohol evaporates fairly quickly and the result is a consistent application of the lube. If you cut squares it's easy to do once evaporated. If you are a round precut shooter, probably easier to squirt them in a zip lock and then spread out.

Try alcohol and vegetable oil about 5/1 alcohol/oil (find the ratio that pleases you and your gun). I use 91% isopropyl but denatured works fine too but pricier. The 91% doesn't mix thoroughly but shaking it up takes care of that.
OK, thanks, hadn't heard that formula before, though I take it that would be just for wetting a round ball patch? Not for revolver chamber lube? Can't see how it would be thick enough. Then I'd be comparing it to "moose milk", no?

No, not for revolvers. Sorta like moose milk it's actually just a simplified way to apply the oil lube. I have two tubs of bore butter that I use on the revolver but I rarely shoot pistols however, I like to think I'm sorta Quigley on that. 😀

Is anyone else having trouble finding
Bore butter?

I watched a video the other day , of a guy who makes his own.
1/2 heated olive oil, 1 stick bees wax, a few drops wintergreen scent.

Thoughts, ideas?
Thx
Mark
I believe ”wonderlube” is a a similar or same product so you could try looking for that, Track of the wolf , RMC oxyoke, and others might have it if you dont want to try making it.

I believe ”wonderlube” is a a similar or same product so you could try looking for that, Track of the wolf , RMC oxyoke, and others might have it if you dont want to try making it.
I got some of that recently from Track. IMO it's awfully soft. I tried it as chamber lube and didn't care much for it. Might be good for winter use, though.

Bore butter works as good as anything else. Now granted, if you want to keep it in a tin and swipe your patch over it it’s going to be crappy in summer. But if you melt some down and soak your patches in it you’re ok. Cleans up with hot water so no harder than anything else to clean. I checked Midsouth Shooters Supply and it’s a back order item. As mentioned above, if you can’t find it wonderlube is basically the same stuff I reckon.

I make my own. EZ PZ on the stovetop. I've tried a half dozen mixes using various ingredients. The mix that worked best for me is 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 Crisco and 1/3 olive oil. The exact ratio isn't critical. More beeswax makes it "stiffer" and more olive oil makes it softer. Get the pelletized beeswax. It melts into the hot oil much easier.

I load the liquid into glue syringes while it's cooling just before it starts solidifying. The tip needs to be cut and opened. Easier to use that way and you don't get your hands messy. But I also have some in little condiment cups.

View attachment 238650
Wait, no mint extract ? 99% of using bore butter is the fresh minty smell ;)

I make my own too. Maybe 4-5:1 ratios? Not sure really. I just mix it and let it cool. If it’s too soft I ad more beeswax. Opposite more olive oil. A bit of tea tree oil for fragrance sometimes. I lube my homemade wads with it. Works great. Use it as patch lube too. Works great where I live anyway with almost no humidity.

Latest posts

Back