• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Seasoning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bore butter gets a bad rap because of the seasoning claims. And the seasoning claims are BS but Bore Butter and 1000+ are good patch lubes. I used it for quite a long time with excellent results. Only dropped it because it got more costly than my frugal bone wanted to pay. Besides, excellent lubes can be made at home for pennies and they work good too.

There are plenty of Bore Butter users on this forum who don't mention it because the seasoning issue comes up immediately! They are the Silent Minority 🤫 🤣
Yep. I used Bore Butter for years with no ill effects whatsoever. I never did buy into the seasoning hype not even back in the early 80’s. I used it for patch lube and conical lube. I still oiled the heck out my muzzleloaders after cleaning them. Never a problem one.

I still use what I have left to this day for using it as a gasket-like between the stock and the bottom of the barrel on one rifle that I do not like to remove the barrel often to clean. After quite a few hunts in the rain and several months, the last time I checked and reapplied it, not one bit of rust on the bottom of the barrel.

I’m a hunter first and foremost. In the past, I have achieved some very impressive groups using Bore Butter as a lube and none of the many critters I have killed while using Bore Butter has ever complained about it.

I have moved on to Tracks Mink Oil but Bore Butter is not the demon that many make it out to be. However, the guy that came up with the barrel seasoning scam did the muzzleloading community no favors.

Last edited:
I used to use it for patch lube and got excellent groups. In the cold weather flintlock deer season, I couldn't hit anything. Put up a target, and was hitting a foot low at 50 yards, tried it again when it warmed up and it was fine. No more bore butter for me!

We cook soo much bacon in this house I thought of the idea of using it instead of shorting in my lube but decided not to. Would probably end up eating it all on the range or in the field.
My buddy made lube from bacon grease. He cleans his gun right after shooting. We call it the breakfast load. 🤣🤣 used it in a black powder revolver cylinders.

Yes we know there's got to be Salt in it just thought it be funny at the time.

So let me get this right. For those that remove their barrels and clean them with very hot water and soap.
You all just put the rifle away with nothing coating the barrel?

It may not be a thing NOW, but it was in decades past.
Of course not. I use balistol nowadays. Period.

We all know about the seasoning myth but that doesn't mean the stuff is useless. It is still available as a patch lube. I think the muzzleloading community are so adamantly against it because of the seasoning lie. Most anything slick, it works. We hate it because of the silly marketing ploy. I am 76 and have been ramming stuff down the barrel for a long time. Like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Back