• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purge the butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have followed the advice I got when I first started muzzleloading to use bore butter for lube, protection, and “seasoning,” of the bore. My accuracy has slowly but surely degraded, thankfully haven’t shot this rifle all that much since I got it, and seeing a lot of the threads about this very thing, I now see why. What’s y’all’s best methods for cleaning all this gunk out of the rifle? I have some JB bore cleaner I’d gotten for helping with some pitting. I expect that would help with this too? Any info, thoughts, opinions, and insights are welcome!

I have never used BB but I have used the super lube 2000 or whatever it is called. My understanding is that it is the same stuff. I have used it as a patch lube with success. It comes out when I clean with warm water and a small squirt of dawn. Patches come out brown from it but it almost all comes out. Never had any accuracy or rust issues.

Hot water should cut it out of there. You’re not the first person I’ve heard make this statement about bore butter. I’ve used it exclusively for years and never had this issue.
Bore Butter can be used as a patch lube and it will function fairly well. Of course, almost anything will work as a patch lube. What is important here is that when the bore butter is cleaned from the bore after the shooting is over, then so is the old fouling and the layer of old grease to gel up and clog the grooves. That's the way Bore Butter users can successfully use Bore Butter to "season" the bore, actually not really since the bore butter is being cleaned out and a thin coat of bore butter is used to lubricate and protect the bore. The next range session, the storage greases are wiped away and there is little build up until the fouling and burnt grease is removed by proper cleaning. Oh, well, it works for the Bore Butter users and that is fine. It's just not for me.

Bore butter is ok to use , providing you remove all you can from the patch , as part of your loading routine. I smear the grease on the patch , place the patch on a solid surface , and with a finger , push the excess grease off the patch , load and fire. Cleaning the gun is using warm water to flush the bore.

Bore butter is ok to use , providing you remove all you can from the patch , as part of your loading routine. I smear the grease on the patch , place the patch on a solid surface , and with a finger , push the excess grease off the patch , load and fire. Cleaning the gun is using warm water to flush the bore.
try putting a pile of lubed patches between the jaws of your vise. I place an ashtray underneath them and squeeze to I can squeeze no more. Works great for me, although I use whale oil. Same bottle that I bought almost 40 years ago. When squeezed I get back probable close to 99% of the oil.

Hot water should cut it out of there. You’re not the first person I’ve heard make this statement about bore butter. I’ve used it exclusively for years and never had this issue.
Curious how you use it it warmer weather? Went shooting early today and remembered I had a tube of TC Bore Butter in my bag from some lube testing I did a while back. It wasn’t in direct sunlight, actually under a roof in my bag. It was about as runny as light oil. And in the winter you can pound nails with it.
1689281066679.jpeg

Curious how you use it it warmer weather? Went shooting early today and remembered I had a tube of TC Bore Butter in my bag from some lube testing I did a while back. It wasn’t in direct sunlight, actually under a roof in my bag. It was about as runny as light oil. And in the winter you can pound nails with it.
I cut me some off, put it in a dish, melt it in the nuker, and soak my patches in it. Squeeze out the excess and you’re good to go.

There's nothing SPECIFALY wrong with Bore Butter/Natural Lube 1000. It's basically the same thing. The problem is when cleaning. You HAVE to use Dawn and HOT water to dissolve the grease/crud. If not, then rust will happen. I have an Investarms/Lyman that I used Bore Butter as both a lube and as a protectant in for a decade that has NO rust. But it was not easy. I HAD to use a lot of Dawn and lots of hot water to get it out of the bore at cleaning. Then WD-40 to disperse water, then after patching the WD-40 dry, a patch or two of Bore Butter down the barrel. I don't do this anymore. I've change hunting lubes to something more user friendly. That said......

I've mentioned this on the forum before, and Zonie (RIP) was the moderator and I had to be a bit coy with my statement then, but since no one seems to care now........

One of my good friends hunts with a Rem 700 Inline that he has owned for almost 30 years. It is a stainless steel model. But SS won't do much for rust and corrosion, at least not as much as modern man thinks. Someone told him at time of purchase to NEVER clean with water. He refuses to listen to anyone (including me) that has anything to say otherwise. He shoots loose Pyrodex RS at 100 grains and a sabot. He swabs the bore clean with Bore Butter patches and wipes the entire gun down with Bore Butter. The entire firearm is 100% rust/corrosion/pitting free. I know because I've examined it out of perverse curiosity. After seeing this for 3 decades, I can't honestly talk poorly about Bore Butter. Would I do this? Absolutely NOT!!! But he has and it has worked for him.

Bore Butter is not the DEVIL, but who knows what is?!?!

Back