• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please dont use petro based oil, it just gums stuff up.

Been my lube since day one.
1lb Bee's wax
1lb Lard
4-6oz cornola oil. More in winter, less in summer.

Nope but I have tried just about every concoction listed and for me SPG is 10 times better, the OP can use whatever works for him.
Looking into making my own homemade bullet lube with some sort of combination of beeswax and food grade grease or oil.

Bpd303, I am not looking to sound condescending or trying to pick a fight, but jezzz, look at the OP statement. He can’t use whatever works for him because he hasn’t gotten there yet, that’s why he is looking for suggestions to make the best lube he can. You said you tried everything in the book and nothing beats SPG but yet you suggest he should use whatever works for him instead of SPG. So what’s you suggestion for the fellow shooter?

Looking into making my own homemade bullet lube with some sort of combination of beeswax and food grade grease or oil. I was even thinking about doing a Ballistol mixture. I would love to hear any advice.
Well, since you did not mix your own "homemade" Ballistol then I will toss in my 'homemade':
I take TOW Mink oil and mix in pure Bear Oil, mix to a frothy cream, let set to a thick honey consistency (a little more or less Bear oil untill the consistency of thick honey, but not dripping).

I like TOW's but it hardens too much for me in cold and dries out on patches not used after a couple weeks, adding the Bear oil solved both problems.
I Love pure Bear oil but messing with liquid lube is just a hassle as I don't shoot of a bench, so adding to TOW Mink solves that.
Best of Both Worlds Now!!

However; I use it for Patched Round Balls. I do not shoot bullets so don't know how well it would be tother mixtures...?

Looking into making my own homemade bullet lube with some sort of combination of beeswax and food grade grease or oil. I was even thinking about doing a Ballistol mixture. I would love to hear any advice.
Appreciate everyone’s comments I did some research in almost all of the suggestions. I’m interested to try spg lube at some point because of its reputation. Although, for the mean time I’m going to experiment a little with animal and plant based oils. I ordered some coconut, castor, and jojoba oil to mix in different proportions with some legit beeswax I found. I’ll try to update how well it works out after I get some time to go shoot again but regardless, thanks again to everyone for your helpful advice.

I made a batch of lube several years ago from so many various ingredients and it isn't possible to recall them all. I know it has some Crisco, a crayon or two, lard, a dab of outdated Neosporin, petroleum jelly, paraffin, vegetable oil. It may even have a little Neats Foot oil and Vicks vapor rub in it. I've never gotten around to using it but it looks fairly good and "slick". I have no doubt it will work. I've been reluctant to use it because of the Petroleum Jelly, but "one of these days".

Back