• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Seasoning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After about a decade of recommended use, I can say that the Bore Butter rifle seasoning bit is B.S. This is in a 50 caliber Kentucky percussion rifle with about 10 years of use. Yes, the rifle loads and cleans a bit easier but that is probably due to a nice broken in barrel, not seasoned with that yellow stuff. Make your own lube. It's cheap, easy, and gives you something to do on a rainy day!

Last edited:
Anytime you have a newby mention Bore Butter or such trash, find out who told them to use it, then hunt down said person and give them a sound thrashing. It will probably be some sporting goods store where the salesperson knows zero about guns, and even less about muzzleloaders. The company making Bore Butter should have been sued for fraud decades ago. This "recommendation" needs to be killed and buried.

Anytime you have a newby mention Bore Butter or such trash, find out who told them to use it, then hunt down said person and give them a sound thrashing. It will probably be some sporting goods store where the salesperson knows zero about guns, and even less about muzzleloaders. The company making Bore Butter should have been sued for fraud decades ago. This "recommendation" needs to be killed and buried.

Bore butter gets a bad rap because of the seasoning claims. And the seasoning claims are BS but Bore Butter and 1000+ are good patch lubes. I used it for quite a long time with excellent results. Only dropped it because it got more costly than my frugal bone wanted to pay. Besides, excellent lubes can be made at home for pennies and they work good too.

There are plenty of Bore Butter users on this forum who don't mention it because the seasoning issue comes up immediately! They are the Silent Minority 🤫 🤣

I’m a firm believer in bore seasoning….
I believe Butter Butter, at least the early 80’s version seasoned a couple of my rifles so well they almost became a smoothbore….

Pyrodex & Bore Butter = Barrel seasoning at its best…😡
Just my opinion of course…😬

Yes, I did clean with them with hot water & dawn detergent…. Didn’t matter one bit..

I’m a firm believer in bore seasoning….
I believe Butter Butter, at least the early 80’s version seasoned a couple of my rifles so well they almost became a smoothbore….

Pyrodex & Bore Butter = Barrel seasoning at its best…😡
Just my opinion of course…😬

Yes, I did clean with them with hot water & dawn detergent…. Didn’t matter one bit..
That there is FUNNY/HA HA HA/Ed

I season my barrel with bacon grease and a bit of course ground black pepper. Put it in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees, it doesn’t get much better than that.
why do they put so many temps on the oven nob? seems to me everything ever baked is at 350!

Look at old cook books. There was no thermometer then. You fired your oven all night then next morning did your hot baked, like quick bread or corn bread. Then medium ovens Then raised breads and maybe roast if you were oven roasting or pies
Then slow cool ovens. Puddings or hard tack
Today we would go 425,350,250 or 200

So let me get this right. For those that remove their barrels and clean them with very hot water and soap.
You all just put the rifle away with nothing coating the barrel?

It may not be a thing NOW, but it was in decades past.
No if I remember correctly it was Bore Butter that was said too “season “/ “coat” the barrel thus protecting it in the process…

But I have slept since then.

So let me get this right. For those that remove their barrels and clean them with very hot water and soap.
You all just put the rifle away with nothing coating the barrel?

It may not be a thing NOW, but it was in decades past.
I dry mine thoroughly and then run a patch lightly coated with Ballistol.

It wasn't just the Bore Butter people. It's right in the little TC black powder books that come with their muzzleloaders, directions for 'bore seasoning'.

Unfortunately there are probably 10 casual muzzlelaoder shooters for every serious one. And the casual guys believe the marketing hype. There is no amount of explaining and documenting, polite or otherwise, that will get you anything other than derision and hate.

Back