• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy for wanting a percussion smooth bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly because of the history, I suppose, but I keep finding myself drawn to a smoothbore 1842, either reproduction or original. I love my rifled 1841 Mississippi, my 1841 Springfield, and my P53 Enfield, and I know I'd be in a very different accuracy universe. There's just something appealing about them, and it's a type I've not experienced, other than the two-band Brown Bess I have. I'm just not cracked up to be a flint lock guy, I guess; I don't enjoy it and never get it out. The smooth bore and the delayed ignition render me the worst marksman on Planet Earth when I shoot that thing. :)
I think it would be fun to shoot buck & ball, as well as round balls out to moderate distances. Could also be a pretty good shotgun. Just fun to play with and enjoy the history. One of the 1847 carbine / muskatoons looks very appealing, as well.
So, somebody enable me and tell me this is exactly what I "need." :)

The only negative that stops me from trying a smoothbore other than my 10 gauge is the accuracy problem. It's like shooting at a target with a rifled bore and closing my eyes a couple seconds afore I pull the trigger, In fact, If I shoot my rifled rifle that way, I can save the cost of buying a smooth bore.

I’m glad everyone doesn’t think your crazy!! Because I’ve been thinking about building a Fowler or trade gun as a percussion!!

I have used my Tingly shot gun as a smooth bore for over fifteen years, and it has performed well,winning both trap shoots, and smooth-bore trail walks.While it does not qualify as a "trade gun" It has never been questioned for "smoothbore" matches.

I bought a beautiful 1847 dated Harpers Ferry M1842 for a song due to 2 inches being bobbed from the barrel. Took it to Bobby Hoyt to reline, stretch it 2 inches and add the missing bayonet lug. He asked if I wanted it kept smoothbore or rifled? I kept it smoothbore because have plenty of rifles and not a smoothbore to tinker with. YMMV
I am courious, how is a barrel stretched?

The only negative that stops me from trying a smoothbore other than my 10 gauge is the accuracy problem. It's like shooting at a target with a rifled bore and closing my eyes a couple seconds afore I pull the trigger, In fact, If I shoot my rifled rifle that way, I can save the cost of buying a smooth bore.
Ha ha been , on a mission if you like, there, I am trying to persuade guys to making these smooth bores into Lancaster oval bores. Indeed my thoughts of putting groves into a muzzle loader bore seem daft to me now, when the bore can be lapped .005” oval using a simple lap , grinding paste and a twisted rod Thus making a brilliant accurate rifle and a great shotgun Think on it. Yes turn a double shotgun into a cape rifle. Great fun

Here in the good old UK I too am on the lookout for such a gun. We have strange very restrictive gun licencing laws which means as I do not have suitable land available I may not have a firearms licence which I would need for a rifle. BUT I may keep and shoot a black powder percussion smoothbore gun on my shotgun licence which I do have. Actually I can have "off licence" altogether such a gun provided I neither shoot it or have the means to do so. Powder ball etc.

I am courious, how is a barrel stretched?
I don't know either, but if anybody can do it, it would be Mr. Hoyt.
Here in the good old UK I too am on the lookout for such a gun. We have strange very restrictive gun licencing laws which means as I do not have suitable land available I may not have a firearms licence which I would need for a rifle. BUT I may keep and shoot a black powder percussion smoothbore gun on my shotgun licence which I do have. Actually I can have "off licence" altogether such a gun provided I neither shoot it or have the means to do so. Powder ball etc.
One more reason I'm glad we broke from the King back in '76! Britain is a great ally now! But those gun laws, sheesh! Look at Adern in New Zealand, etc.

The barrel is bored out and a full length liner installed, then the talented Mr. Hoyt welded on a sleeve to replace the missing 2" section barrel and dressed it down, then brazed the lug on. The resulting joint is all but invisible to the naked eye and restores the rifle to original appearance.

yes uk hunting can be difficult. We lost out NT lease. Now nowhere to shoot around here ,Esher , and our friends farms have been sold off Then plod refused to renew my S2. As he said it was recorded “I’ll shoot the robbers next time “ when our house was robbed. Guns are not allowed for protection in UK. Not too bothered as I can outshoot a shotgun with my pcp bsa Scorpio , got a 70 yard garden range anyway? Plus squirrels to hunt and occasionally eat , But plods not nice. Now i realise I cannot shoot my flintlocks anyway , Yes deer across the road on the hill but you cannot shoot them , life’s a hunting bugger in UK. We are becoming a nation of wall hanger collectors, of S58 guns. OZ just as bad and nothing to shoot in WA been there right up to Exmouth France looked promising with no licence needed for BP guns, but you need a reason to have them in your vehicle. I cannot take mine to France with out the elusive permit to carry. The ML s seem to be dead since they lost the Bisely hut Bro Andy was secretary or something At 78 it don’t bother me anymore

got an invite go flintlock hunt deer in Maine though. Lovely Tommy

I wish you well. Ps. I often add Forarges castle France

Attachments

• 6459510F-8F46-4C80-9005-8C829F1F41E0.jpeg
    6459510F-8F46-4C80-9005-8C829F1F41E0.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2A0F8EF1-927B-484F-A8BF-BD81ECA46136.jpeg
    2A0F8EF1-927B-484F-A8BF-BD81ECA46136.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 71FD9952-87A6-4E7C-AEA7-C5E0964DBC60.jpeg
    71FD9952-87A6-4E7C-AEA7-C5E0964DBC60.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 3930DDDC-5102-458C-AF7C-8F0561BD5900.jpeg
    3930DDDC-5102-458C-AF7C-8F0561BD5900.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 50
  • 8B29EFF7-AE24-457E-8DBB-0C29860C8D8D.jpeg
    8B29EFF7-AE24-457E-8DBB-0C29860C8D8D.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 53
  • CD1551B5-294F-4465-BE52-1C3885536EAA.jpeg
    CD1551B5-294F-4465-BE52-1C3885536EAA.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 35
Never mind my wants or the stupid British gun laws. Just let me thank our honoured guest for the many hours of pleasure He and his crew have given an old Brit
Thank you mister Hickok.

Never mind my wants or the stupid British gun laws. Just let me thank our honoured guest for the many hours of pleasure He and his crew have given an old Brit
Thank you mister Hickok.
Exactly. Well said from London Yes super forum super people we love all of you.

Shout-out to hickok45! Love your channel, sir! :)

I have been strongly considering having Mr. Hoyt bore out my .50 percussion T/C Renegade to a .54 or .56 or .58 smoothbore. Does anyone have any concerns with it only being a 26” barrel? I know a lot of the historic smoothbores were much longer (also flintlock, but that is not my concern here). Thanks for any advice, and I would say, “go for it, hickok45!”

‘Poet

I have a T/C Renegade that was bored .58 smooth by Mr. Hoyt for another forum member, bought it from him to go squirrel hunting.
I like it a lot! It will take a squirrel out of a tree just as fast as my 20 bore will.

Very handy size when pushing through the brambles in East Texas is search of the elusive bushy tails!
And it seems to be accurate with round balls, although I only fired it at a 50 yard target.

Best of luck!
Sam A.

Something like this comes to mind a 65 cal smoothbore 1856 Enfield carbine replica.You could also do the same thing by taking an Enfield musketoon replica and having the barrel bored smooth

Attachments

• 11C6A0FB-E67E-44AC-B834-C374E3E79E7C.jpeg
    11C6A0FB-E67E-44AC-B834-C374E3E79E7C.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ypu need to watch holts auction No longer displayed in London But up at Norfolk 180 miles from me. But you can study and trust their photos I buy all my guns there Watch out in the sealed bid there are some right manure sometimes. I studied the rusty cape rifle photo for weeks blowing it up on iPad Bit £840 and got it. The computer will bid for you in the main auctions just enter your max bid. But remember add 30% for tax and buyers premium. Good hunting. For those across the pond. You can bid but add perhaps another £700 for shipping etc You only get quality stuff at Bonhams and premium prices. Holts London auction display was like a gun museum Ypu could play with all the guns. The Colvid made holts operate from photos and Norfolk saving them a mint and has worked out well. So I doubt they will return to big London displays and auctions. I wish you well

I have an Armi sport 1842 Springfield replica smooooth bore that I shoot as often as I get a chance. I shoot clay birds with it, my personal best is 18/25. Yaàll see once you get the lead it stay constant in a way and I dont pay to much attention to the misses. I do shoot it in competition as well with a .662RB and a .015 patch. Got good groups with it and I am pleased as I can be.! Great fun to be had..!

Thanks for tuning in. You remind me that I DO have the 20 gauge Pedersoli double barrel shotgun I bought a couple years ago. We had some fun shooting both it and the Howda version of it. I never have shot it that much or considered it a roundball gun, although I had planned to get it out for some more fun and videos before cold weather. A lot of my motivation is the history of the military smoothbores. Granted, there's much more history with the flint locks.
It strikes me as pretty interesting that there were units of soldiers during the Civil War, mainly in the North, I think, that did not give up their 1842 Springfields when they had the chance to trade them for the 1861 rifle-musket. The buck & ball load was very effective and they just preferred to continue with it. I read that Pickett's men in their fatal charge at Gettysburg were pretty much wiped out and repelled by Yankee units with smoothbores and buck & ball.

There seems to be some confusion about how to load the "Buck & Ball" load. In videos, I've seen it loaded both ways, but if my memory serves, I read that the proper method is to put the buck against the powder and the ball on top, or forward, which is not what I would have figured.
I have seen only one video ( can't find it) loading buck next to powder first,was never sure which was correct, still not sure.

Well, golly, whole regiments had smooth-bore muskets at Gettysburg and loved them. Go for it! you gotta be a little nuts to be a muzzle-loader in the first place! Good luck, I'm with you! I think it was the Irish Brigade and they used buck-n-ball ammo. Let us know what you get. I have a rifled M1842 Armi Sport musket and wish I'd gotten the Smoothie. I have enough of the new-fangled rifled things!
Yes Irish Brigade were known for liking and keeping them. Most infamously at the Stoney Hill in Gettysburg.

Latest posts

Back