• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.375 Caliber Smooth Bore Rifle.....Possible?.....Accuracy?.....Retarded Idea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that a barrel with a liner in it should be more accurate than a barrel in the same caliber with no liner.

My theory was that the vibration induced when firing would be nullified by the grain structure of the different tubes. I had a couple of barrels relined and neither of them showed any improvement and in fact I was terribly disappointed. I thought I was going to have a secret weapon to defeat my competitors!
That's a theory I've never heard before.

I like it!!! Others won't. A side hammer Frankenstein tactical. A rat rod muzzleloader.

You gave me an idea. I wonder if I could hone that type of barrel out. To make it take .375 balls with a patch.
It would go well with my 1851 navy.

Question??? How smooth is the inside of the tube you are using??
Mirror bright and butter smooth.

4130 tubing from Wicks Aircraft Parts.

I always thought that a barrel with a liner in it should be more accurate than a barrel in the same caliber with no liner.

My theory was that the vibration induced when firing would be nullified by the grain structure of the different tubes. I had a couple of barrels relined and neither of them showed any improvement and in fact I was terribly disappointed. I thought I was going to have a secret weapon to defeat my competitors!
Yeah, relining worn RIFLING in old barrels really can improve previous performance; however, unless the barrel isn't pretty bad to start with I didn't see tremendous gains. I've not tried relining a smoothie yet but also came up with the same notion of making a cheaper smootbore barrel similar to @64Spinger. Even started gathering a few parts but have not started work as yet. Am really interested in seeing how his barrel performance continues to develop !

Out here in California rifles that have pistol grips are so deadly that you rarely have to shoot. Things just die by looking at them. Especially if they have a magazine that holds more than ten rounds. Be careful with that thing.

The HC and pc boys are gonna have a meltdown!
View attachment 242195
Nope, not really.
Only if taken too seriously. Or, when someone later starts making up b.s. on how "it possibly could have been,,," or,,,, "if they'd a had it they'd a used it."
Could be interesting, I wish the small bore had been more successful, I think a small bore rifle would have been better though. Would make a neat anti-coyote gun.

Nope, not really.
Only if taken too seriously. Or, when someone later starts making up b.s. on how "it possibly could have been,,," or,,,, "if they'd a had it they'd a used it."
Could be interesting, I wish the small bore had been more successful, I think a small bore rifle would have been better though. Would make a neat anti-coyote gun.
Just ordered some 265 grain bullets.

.376 diameter.

Hoping I can convince them to go down a .375 bore.

92 Lead. 6 Antimony. 2 Tin.

Just ordered some 265 grain bullets.

.376 diameter.

Hoping I can convince them to go down a .375 bore.

92 Lead. 6 Antimony. 2 Tin.
Great memories on this! I owned a percussion front-stuffer pistol equipped with a .375 smooth barrel and tried all sorts of bullets, even a Very long paper-patched .357 with its deep hollow base. Tons of fun, but all the elongated projectiles wildly varied in accuracy, and most of the time they keyholed on target. The most accurate loads were with the lowly round balls of .350 and .357 diameter. The best accuracy I was able to obtain was minute-of-pie plate at 25 yards using 1 dram of powder [= approx 27 grains of FFFg] from my copper flask. Patched ball worked slightly better than wads and bareball in this instance.

Back