• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Complete Kibler Colonial Smoothrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there is a fair amount to be removed. Go back over the completed images and you'll find a few were I described the process. Personally I don't see were people think this kit is easier than the SMR he offers. There is a decent amount of fitting and metal work that needs to be done from fitting the nose cap, entry thimble, shaping the stock just no name a few processes... I recieved his SMR a few days ago and I am amazed at the overall finished appearance of the stock vesus that of what the colonial was. IMO the SMR is the easier of the two, but requires more fine finesse due to the slender stock and lollipop tang.

Having experience with both kits, they are just phenomenal. Seasoned builders to beginners they will appeal to both groups. While they are indeed the easiest of the high end rifles to build, they are extremely relaxing to build, fun and in my case have helped spark the intrest of some who have been put off by cheaper production kits and the harder parts kits as a first go, which is what it's all about! Getting people started with a quality rifle!

Sorry for my ignorance guys but what does SMR stand for?

This is truly a work of art that many don't have the skill to create, but many have the eye to admire.

I have been watching his videos. I only live 40mins from him. I thought about the col. In 58cal but i wonder if he could get the barrel in a 62cal. Slow twist rifling. Such a big gun it think that would be great. In his video it looks like the lock mortise and plate are very tight fitting no gaps. And if the but plate only needed the tiny amount to get it fitted as in his video then i think its the kit for me. I was thinking of a tvm but i dont like the gaps around the lock plates they have looks a little sloppy.
Maybe i could make a appointment and see what a kit looks like ready to ship. And what needs done like are the tenions on the barrel ect.
Maybe jim can reply and give us the rundown.
Here a link to find the vuds

Thanks everybody. As to caliber, .58 is as big as we can go. This makes for a very nice handling big bore rifle. Thanks for posting a link to our videos. These show exactly what is required for assembly. Most of these videos are in real-time as well.

We take a great deal of pride in the quality of our products and the success of our business is a testemant to this. To be perfectly honest, there are no other kit manufacturers that supply products in our class. I’m not trying to put anyone down, but rather just try to convey the quality of what we offer.

Anaconda, you would be welcome to stop by the shop sometime. Just give us a call first.

All the best,
Jim

Thanks everybody. As to caliber, .58 is as big as we can go. This makes for a very nice handling big bore rifle. Thanks for posting a link to our videos. These show exactly what is required for assembly. Most of these videos are in real-time as well.

We take a great deal of pride in the quality of our products and the success of our business is a testemant to this. To be perfectly honest, there are no other kit manufacturers that supply products in our class. I’m not trying to put anyone down, but rather just try to convey the quality of what we offer.

Anaconda, you would be welcome to stop by the shop sometime. Just give us a call first.

All the best,
Jim
I can't imagine anyone really wanting a rifle over .58 cal. when there are a variety of bullet designs that give a shooter so many options in .58. 1:72 will stabilize round balls, and mini's, which which out perform round balls at long range, and provide tremendous power for hunting.
I was shooting a friend's .62 cal. Christian Springs style rifle a couple of years ago, and it shot great, other than a bit of added recoil, but I'd never trade it for my .58.

My Kibler Colonial rifle kit so far. Loving the upgraded wood I ordered. Thanks Jim Kibler!!!

Attachments

• FB8D05C4-C437-40A2-BB14-882C0B327C6B.jpeg
    FB8D05C4-C437-40A2-BB14-882C0B327C6B.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 325
  • C6BB3FBA-A6AC-4DD1-9148-E075B9431C66.jpeg
    C6BB3FBA-A6AC-4DD1-9148-E075B9431C66.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 318
  • C921D1F4-0B35-4EA9-95E2-AB9C52281C20.jpeg
    C921D1F4-0B35-4EA9-95E2-AB9C52281C20.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 2F5E45B3-2466-4918-98E5-F8D32E8A8382.jpeg
    2F5E45B3-2466-4918-98E5-F8D32E8A8382.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 296
Wow beautiful piece of work! I built his SMR about a year ago in .32 caliber. Very novice woodworker, but managed to get the job done and would love to build a .58 caliber smoothbore of Jim's as well. Do you guys think that the .58 caliber smoothbore is a large enough caliber/bore to shoot a turkey with shot?

Wow beautiful piece of work! I built his SMR about a year ago in .32 caliber. Very novice woodworker, but managed to get the job done and would love to build a .58 caliber smoothbore of Jim's as well. Do you guys think that the .58 caliber smoothbore is a large enough caliber/bore to shoot a turkey with shot?
I'm glad you asked this question, ebutch, because I was wondering the same thing. I'm look for a "turkey gun", and from what I had read the .62 = .20 gauge. It seems the .58 would be a great option.

In many states 20 ga. is the smallest gauge allowed. better check your local laws.
Good idea, Numb... I just sent an email to my DNR to confirm. They define rifle cal in the regs, but nothing specific for shotgun. I think one could assume 20ga. Thanks for the suggestion.

Excellent work! You have a piece to be very proud of! Hopefully it will be out in the field doing what all rifles were meant to do...get used! I'll be watching the hunting forum for pics!!! '

Rifles are hard to photograph well...and you did. Too bad Scumbucket not only makes one pay to post, but then slaps a giant advertisement on every picture. Geez.

Whoa, Ben, that is indeed a smoke pole to be proud of. Brother, my spirit says wear that gun out and if a descendent wants one, you have left them the genetics and skill to achieve something on their own! Having built a canoe gun in .62 caliber with a flintlock made available by a friend, I really don't need to build any thing longer. Really I don't. Really I don't ! Stop me before I try to build something I can't justify on so many levels! Be blessed in the hunt, and walk the noble paths. P.S. My bride has taken possession of a certain new Blanket and says I'll do just fine with the old one. iPorque Si! George.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back