• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie with questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the hobby. I was recently given a Kibler SMR kit in .45 caliber. Also another kit rifle that I am not sure what brand in .32 caliber. The Kibler kit is complete and still in the shipping container. The .32 was in pieces and not sure I have everything to complete it.

I have little knowledge of pre-inline muzzleloaders but am very excited to learn and enjoy both the build and the ongoing hobby.

So here are my questions;

1) What is the best way to identify what brand the .32 is?

2) Are there books or sites y'all would recommend for a new kit builder to learn the craft?

3) I have a lot of additional "parts" (locks, barrels, balls, rod blanks, etc..). With no idea of value if I decided to sell them or if I am going to get into this as a hobby should I just keep them.

Looking forward to any help/recommendations.

Rob

I have a number of books on building muzzleloading rifles, and specifically plains rifles.

I can't answer about the unknown kit, but my first suggestion is for you to look at some of the videos by Mike Beliveau on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@duelist1954

Where did I get my list of books, from a video by Mike:

That's the first video in a series on building a York County long rifle. He has several other video series building various rifles. These are not kits, he's building from scratch which is much more difficult. He's very humble about his rifle-building knowledge, but he's successfully completed many rifles and they look excellent.

Another source is Jim Kibler: https://www.youtube.com/@kiblerjim

Those are specific to his kits of course, and he is a professional builder. Kibler's success, in part, is based on his kits being done to an advanced degree and to a very fine point using CNC machinery to make precise cuts. Most other kits are only roughed out. Kibler is also based in the US using high quality components, as opposed to Italy using unknown components and furniture making machines. That, and the current lack of a workshop, have always kept me from working on one of those kits. I do have plans to buy a Kibler kit, it will be my first, but we'll see.

Another source is Ethan from the NMLRA and "I Love Muzzleloading." I Love Muzzleloading
He has several videos series where he builds kits by Investarms, Traditions, etc. I believe he has one on a Kibler kit too.

I've been shooting black powder since the 1980's. I've never shot competition, never built a rifle (I did manage to screw up a perfectly fine semi-custom flintlock on my own), I've hunted with a flintlock, and there've been gaps of many years where I haven't taken a single BP shot. In short, I am a long-time novice.

Honestly, in your situation, I'd be torn: do I work on the nicer kit almost guaranteed to come out nicely, or do I work on the rough kit expecting to make some mistakes so I can do a better job on the nicer kit? Tough call.

I have a number of books on building muzzleloading rifles, and specifically plains rifles.

I can't answer about the unknown kit, but my first suggestion is for you to look at some of the videos by Mike Beliveau on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@duelist1954

Where did I get my list of books, from a video by Mike:

That's the first video in a series on building a York County long rifle. He has several other video series building various rifles. These are not kits, he's building from scratch which is much more difficult. He's very humble about his rifle-building knowledge, but he's successfully completed many rifles and they look excellent.

Another source is Jim Kibler: https://www.youtube.com/@kiblerjim

Those are specific to his kits of course, and he is a professional builder. Kibler's success, in part, is based on his kits being done to an advanced degree and to a very fine point using CNC machinery to make precise cuts. Most other kits are only roughed out. Kibler is also based in the US using high quality components, as opposed to Italy using unknown components and furniture making machines. That, and the current lack of a workshop, have always kept me from working on one of those kits. I do have plans to buy a Kibler kit, it will be my first, but we'll see.

Another source is Ethan from the NMLRA and "I Love Muzzleloading." I Love Muzzleloading
He has several videos series where he builds kits by Investarms, Traditions, etc. I believe he has one on a Kibler kit too.

I've been shooting black powder since the 1980's. I've never shot competition, never built a rifle (I did manage to screw up a perfectly fine semi-custom flintlock on my own), I've hunted with a flintlock, and there've been gaps of many years where I haven't taken a single BP shot. In short, I am a long-time novice.

Honestly, in your situation, I'd be torn: do I work on the nicer kit almost guaranteed to come out nicely, or do I work on the rough kit expecting to make some mistakes so I can do a better job on the nicer kit? Tough call.

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the videos by Mike. I have started watching the Jim Kibler videos. I think I am going to start with the unknown kit. It actually isn't what I would call a rough kit. I would not say it is as nice as the Kibler kit but it is not far off. I will need to fabricate a butt plate for it as I didn't find one in the volume of parts that I was given. But I do have the important pieces (trigger mechanism and lock). Not sure the brand of the lock as there are no markings to tell me who made it. It is very similar to the Kibler lock.

Before I start though I have to get my shop setup. I was also given many tools for doing kit building. Need to go through them all to determine if there is anything additional I may need.

Again thanks for the information. Having a forum like this is invaluable.

Rob

Take a couple of pictures of the kit and post them here. Like others said, the barrel should have writing on it.

[snip]
I will need to fabricate a butt plate for it as I didn't find one in the volume of parts that I was given.
[snip]

Track of the Wolf sells some butt plates that are rough castings so you can finish them however you like. You might find that easier than fabricating your own, but it really depends on one's level of metal working skill and confidence. I am a novice, so, with sights for example, I just buy from them and smooth them out.

Keep us posted on your progress, including with your shop.

The following link to a previous thread lists a couple of good books on building the long rifle kits. I used the books when I built my first rifles. Well, the video links weren't available then either. It was the Dixon book or the Buchele book. Each book may have a slightly different method to completing the tasks or a better illustration of how to do it. The revised version of the Buchele, Alexander and Schumway book is becoming hard to find. "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" by Alexander is still in print and has the benefit of being spiral bound so the book can lie flat while comparing your work to the instructions and illustrations in the book.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...e-first-build-long-rifle.118037/#post-1613940
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...els-from-a-hacksaw-blade.106493/#post-1423016

Latest posts

Back